• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Horn try-out at Dillon's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Horn try-out at Dillon's Reply with quote

I fortunate to live fairly close to this great music store, so it's become an annual tradition after Xmas to go educate myself at their wall of trumpets.
I'm happy with the horns I have, but I read a lot here about ones I've never tried, so that's place place to go to see what I'm missing.

I tried over 20 trumpets, Adams A5, Besson Brevette, Conn 36B, 60B, vintage 1, Jupiter 1602, King silvertone, Super 20, silver Flair, Wild Thing, Schilke S32, Getzen Eterna severinson, Selmer Radial, DQ Custom, Calicchio Tulsa copper, Holton T-200. They have a huge number of Bachs, and the best of ALL the horns I tried was a silver Artisan. If I had to buy one, that would be it, but for now I'll save my money. To each his own, of course.
brassjunky
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a lot of fun isn't it? A few months ago I visited a number of stores and tried out around 20 different horns, mostly pro level. My point of reference was my own horn, a B&S made, Utah assembled Cannonball 789. What I found was lots of different "flavours" of horn - most did not play worse or better than my horn, just differently and I think a good player could get the job done on any of them. The Schilkes (B1 and S32) I tried did stand out for me as better than my current horn. A surprise stand out for me was the new Yamaha advance student horn, 3335, with a reversed leadpipe. The other interesting find for me was not being too impressed with the James Morrison inspired Schagerl Academica horns - okay but for their price point I felt the Carol range offered more.
telebuck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I had a store like that nearby. I am in the market for an artisan, and was curious what it was that stood out to you about this horn in comparison to the other Bach's (e.g. Regular 37s). Also, was that the used artisan they have? Thanks.
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Horn try-out at Dillon's Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
I fortuThey have a huge number of Bachs, and the best of ALL the horns I tried was a silver Artisan. If I had to buy one, that would be it, but for now I'll save my money. To each his own, of course.

I have tried the Bach Artisan, and the sound is very unique and desirable. The only issue I have with them is an issue with the bell design to which the lower range notes below low A are very fuzzy and hard to speak. Seems like it take a lot more effort/work to get the lower notes to sound right. (eg having to open to jaw more than usual other other bachs).

Just curious if you noticed that as well.

The leadpipe definitely felt like a 25O to me.

Last edited by cshuetva on Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:07 am; edited 2 times in total
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an owner of a Bach Artisan I too Love that trumpet!
I always believed config was a 43H bell with a 7 leadpipe But I now feel its more like a 25-0. Can't belive why we can't get any info from the factory....?
Bach Stradivarius Artisan Piccolo
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
cshuetva
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LDK-97 wrote:
As an owner of a Bach Artisan I too Love that trumpet!
I always believed config was a 43H bell with a 7 leadpipe But I now feel its more like a 25-0. Can't belive why we can't get any info from the factory....?

I think the bell is closer to a 37 with some slight modifications rather than a 43H.

...all manufacturers that copy the 37 bell have some slight modifications to them example harrelson 1 bell, Kanstul 1537 bell, Yamaha 6335 bell etc.,.

I can't get anything out of Bach Factory representatives as well when I did a custom build on one and called them about the parts and parts parring. They just told me the leadpipe was the same part number as a standard bach 25, but as you agreed with me...the Artisan Bb leadpipe feels more like a 25O.

I built a custom trumpet with a Bach Artisan Bb Bell, Getzen Valve Section, Blackburn 19 leadpipe with a M/K Drawing tuning slide. Trying to sell it for $1,000 even which is my cost for parts and build...it does not include the time and effort I spend tracking parts down to test out to find the best match (and then reselling to parts I ended up not using) and consulting work to get the braces set at the most resonant points.

I got hooked on the new Yamaha series 2 Xeno Bb trumpet so that's why I am selling it.

The custom Bach Artisan build is a great playing trumpet and a much better option over the stock Bach Artisans. It still has some fuzzy issues on the low G and F# but plays much better than a stock Artisan Bb.

Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't argue with your choice of the new Xeno II. A friend of mine has one and it is a wonderful horn. It is on my short list as well. If I had the money I would have Cliff Blackburn build a custom Jericho model horn for me. I have played it a couple times at trumpet festivals and always wish I could afford it.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: