• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New to forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: New to forum Reply with quote

I have been reading the posts here and am really enjoying them. I studied with Joe Phelps at Appalachian State in the early 90's and learned a great deal from him. I was also fortunate to have a few lessons with Mr. Adam as well. I have not played regularly for a few years, but started a comeback over the holidays. What a great time! I have a few questions. The major question is about the breath and tension. After reading posts here and reflecting back on my lessons, I am not blowing through the horn and the sound is a bit stuffy. However, when I release the tension and let the air blow it in place the sound is much more open. The breath on the more open sound does not seem as warm, but the sound is much more free and lively, trying to think of Doc S here. So my question is really more of an observation of my playing. I notice when I think of hot, wet air, tension creeps In the throat. Range is good, sound out front, pronunciation is getting better, but the more open sound is much more difficult to play soft, and the initial attacks above the staff are iffy. I have been singing a lot of concone, and playing routine, any thought thoughts would be great.

Thanks!

Tomman
tomman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few days have gone by and what a difference! Things are going much better after I concentrated more on accelerating the air and not thinking about anything but sound.. As I read some other posts I have been trying to put the sound right out front and will pick a spot out the window and place each note there. I have been listening more too. Doc, Charlie Davis, jay coble, etc., any Adam student I can find youtube videos for. The warm air is cranking out without any tension when I put the sound through the horn. As joe used to say, and Adam as well, keep that hot air coming out there!

Best!

Tomman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Bill Adam All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: