• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What shank on this mouthpiece?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to take advantage of the new forum and ask the cornet/flugie gurus a question that's been bugging me. I had a mystery cornet mouthpiece come with my Indian pocket dogg with no name, all I know is it's a deep bowl, large throat, and yet plays with alot of resistance (I think this has to do with the throat). Anyway, just for kicks I decided to stick it in my trumpet and see what would happen. To my suprise, with a little rust to blow out and some minor adaptations, the "cornet" mouthpiece has been a fantastic mouthpiece on my trumpet even without an adaptor. The sound is dark, but I can turn up the spice on command if need be. What's troubling me is, I purchased a DEG cornet-trumpet mouthpiece adaptor, and this mouthpiece didn't go in nearly as far as it would in the previous instrument, so much that it seemed as though there'd be considerable gap on a regular cornet receiver. I have two marks on the mouthpiece right now. The mark where I feel it "should" be is a quarter inch further up the mouthpiece than the mark where it fits a normal cornet shank. My question is, could this mouthpiece have been made for a different shank than a normal cornet shank, perhaps the vintage Olds cornet / current Bach Flugelhorn shank. Thanks in advance for any advice .
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[double post, see below]

[ This Message was edited by: FlugelFlyer on 2003-10-15 23:22 ]
FlugelFlyer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I posted a hard to understand bunch of garbage, let me cut to the point:

Stick a vintage Olds (or equivilant) cornet mpc in a modern receiver. How much further down on the mouthpiece will the shank make contact with the receiver, and how much shank should be left inside the receiver?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: