• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I disagree with this pro.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: I disagree with this pro. Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIrK85ypws

His advice on how much air to take in is the opposite of what I've been taught. His paying is really good so he must know. I try to tank up each time.

Any thoughts?
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jack's video is a wonderful example of how to approach the piccolo, straight-forward, and IMO totally spot on.

Over-breathing on piccolo is one of the biggest problems I see IMO.

-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was taught to take as much air as you need, and try not to play on the bottom half of your breath, but don't overdo it. I think sometimes taking a full tank of air when you don't need that much can lead to tension and/or overblowing-things I was guilty of in my earlier playing years..
No absolute answer, but in a general sense I would say support your tone with the proper air but stay as relaxed as you can and let the horn and mouthpiece work for you :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I play I don't think about breathing so maybe I'm doing what he does without knowing it.

What I was taught is to fill the lungs and then the pressure from the air in the lungs will make you want to exhale without pushing any air out. It just comes out to equalize the pressure. No tension just a relaxed exhale.

What's the difference if you go full to half empty or three quarter to one quarter? I would think full up gives more support and resonance in the body. Just because you're full doesn't mean you have to force the air through the horn.
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seem right on to me.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a local middle school band director here who teaches his band to breath with his pick up beat. Nothing wrong with that except that he has the kids literally sucking all the air out of the room, if you know what I mean. For example, he has the kids practice quickly inhaling air until they are totally at the top of their lungs in capacity. They're required to make a hissing sound as they do this. I keep pointing out that this is bad technique and only creates tension for his wind players. Also, and most obviously, pros don't do this. He's a good music teacher for the most part. But this issue drives me crazy.
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Maggio used to say, "Take a breath like a drowning man going under for the third time."

I never have though. From years of woodwind playing I sort of learned how much air I need. I never think about it at all. It's automatic.
Pops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an excellent video.
There are many times when we don't want to take a big full breath.

A big breath expands the muscles and makes it much harder to do a fast and full air compression. This makes high notes harder to play. Many people have talked about this. Reinhardt said to take a 1/4 breath. Jim Manley says to blow half of your breath away before playing high to discover how little you want before making compression.

A big breath on short phrases leads to needing to gasp to replenish your O2 levels. After the phrase your lungs are 50%-80% full. If you breathe in, your lungs have 20% new air and 80% oxygen depleted air. Do this a few times in a row and you gasp for oxygen, even though you have air in your lungs. (You didn't gasp for air, you gasped for oxygen because you allowed too much stale O2 depleted air to stay in your lungs.)

Timed breathing is big component of the teachings of several teachers.
7,000 pages of free music. Trumpet Books, Skype Lessons: www.BbTrumpet.com
dr_trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The discipline of the warm-up dictates a full, supportive breath on lip slurs, long tones, and things like Clarke studies, etc.

When we get to literature, however, the required musical phrasing and your physical ability to handle that phrasing through breath support and other musical factors, dictates breathing.

After all, what good does it do that you get the end of a phrase as far as you can go, but the music has nowhere for you to breath for another 2-3 bars? What happens when you have a fairly simple phrase, support it to the end, and because of that big breath you took in the start of the phrase, you have to plan to exhale before you can consider possibly taking another breath. But, you only have one beat of rest?

Better to phrase breath, my friend. Make the intake work for what you know as a player comes up next. If you are sight-reading and do not know all of the works on the gig that well, you have a bit of a situation, and rely upon your musical ability to help with those situations. In an orchestral situation; as always, support the phrase create the sound, and make the music.

All else is just sending good after bad!
Arranger/Composer; Lilly Music
LDK-97
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If You tank up, Your gonna wear out.
The guy is right and what wonderful picc playing.

He has a great video on playing the Rotary trumpet to.
Bach Stradivarius Artisan Piccolo
Yamaha 8335GS Neo Bb
Arky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pops wrote:
It is an excellent video.
There are many times when we don't want to take a big full breath.

A big breath expands the muscles and makes it much harder to do a fast and full air compression. This makes high notes harder to play. Many people have talked about this. Reinhardt said to take a 1/4 breath. Jim Manley says to blow half of your breath away before playing high to discover how little you want before making compression.

A big breath on short phrases leads to needing to gasp to replenish your O2 levels. After the phrase your lungs are 50%-80% full. If you breathe in, your lungs have 20% new air and 80% oxygen depleted air. Do this a few times in a row and you gasp for oxygen, even though you have air in your lungs. (You didn't gasp for air, you gasped for oxygen because you allowed too much stale O2 depleted air to stay in your lungs.)

Timed breathing is big component of the teachings of several teachers.

This is 100% true, though Pops doesn't need validation from a hack like me. I never truly unlocked a strong upper register beyond high D until I learned not to tank up. Jim Manley has a great description of how to do this on YouTube. Link below.

http://youtu.be/NN1FLJUZ53o
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answers posted are really interesting to me. I can only think that there is more than one way to play the trumpet.

Here are some quotes I remember from lessons. Some from really famous players.

"Breath from your diaphragm" Later in life, "Your diaphragm has nothing to do with your lungs, fill your lungs and don't push"

"Air is free and your friend, use a lot of it"

"Things tend to go out the way they go in. You have a lot of time to breath. Take in the air slowly and controlled and that's how it will come out"

"Clark makes you play the page in one breath to develop lung capacity and control"

"Petrushka is a good one to practice for breath control because there's nowhere to breath. Try to do it in one breath."

"Fill your lungs with air. Let the sound resonate inside of you and it will resonate from the bell"

"Use a lot of air, think of the opera singer on stage. The trumpet is your voice"

All of the above are taken out of context and might have been said to compensate for something I was doing wrong.

None of these quotes are from a lesson on pick. playing. Just general things I remember and tried to apply. Maybe it's time to forget all of it and just play.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
The answers posted are really interesting to me. I can only think that there is more than one way to play the trumpet.

"Breath from your diaphragm" Later in life, "Your diaphragm has nothing to do with your lungs, fill your lungs and don't push"

"Things tend to go out the way they go in. You have a lot of time to breath. Take in the air slowly and controlled and that's how it will come out"

"Clark makes you play the page in one breath to develop lung capacity and control"

"Petrushka is a good one to practice for breath control because there's nowhere to breath. Try to do it in one breath."

"Fill your lungs with air. Let the sound resonate inside of you and it will resonate from the bell"

"Use a lot of air, think of the opera singer on stage. The trumpet is your voice"

All of the above are taken out of context and might have been said to compensate for something I was doing wrong.

None of these quotes are from a lesson on pick. playing. Just general things I remember and tried to apply. Maybe it's time to forget all of it and just play.

Well, the video is specific to piccolo playing.

Seems like you're trying to lump all the advice you've received over the years into one blurb, but one size doesn't always fit all.
1948 Holton Model 48
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: trumpetchops Reply with quote

Whjat you have listed, are not different ways to play the trumpet, hey are correct and incorrect explanations of what to do. Everyone who plays well, does many of the same things, regardless of what they think they do, or have been told to do. Genre will dictate more difference than anything. A great jazz player will do things a great orchestral player wont do..a great soloist things a great 3rd player wont do..but one thing is for certain. You can't breath with your diaphragm:)
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:

Depending on context, I think a lot of these are not bad advice, albeit far from universal. But, it's worth considering that the relationship between the piccolo trumpet and Bb trumpet is not dissimilar to the relationship between the Bb trumpet and euphonium. It requires a different approach for most people to play the typical piccolo repertoire with the typical piccolo sound concept.
trumpjosh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jack's spot on with his advice in this video. Give it a try.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a comeback player this is something I've needed for eight years but never heard the right explanation 'til now.

Like many players I always tried to fill all the way to the top but then had trouble using all the air, or I'd blow my lips apart which limits range. I discovered that I if I breathe by expanding the abdomen and lower back, and fill no further, I get much better results. Will keep working on it.

Kent
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 to Pops post. He said what he teaches.

In a couple of lessons with Pops it was recommended to take less air in but compress it.

Sure enough it worked. I brought in enough to make the note and have the right sound on the note. Think of the Clarke pppp studies which gets your lips functioning and resonating efficiently. That concept when air volume is added can really refine one's playing.

That stale air thing is no joke either. Imagine your whole body in general on a 15 minute recital piece or a 40 minute recital needing air and for that whole duration having mostly stale air in the lings but "trying to stay fresh" and function optimally.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it both ways today.
A big full breath gave me a bigger fuller sound. The more air also made it easier to hit the notes. Not more range but, a nice clean attack.

I thought about making a recording. I don't think my computer is good enough to show the difference.

I guess there are a lot of different ways to play the trumpet. Different things work for different people. If I practiced the less air approach, that might work better in the long run? I don't know.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetchops wrote:
I tried it both ways today.
A big full breath gave me a bigger fuller sound. The more air also made it easier to hit the notes. Not more range but, a nice clean attack.

I thought about making a recording. I don't think my computer is good enough to show the difference.

I guess there are a lot of different ways to play the trumpet. Different things work for different people. If I practiced the less air approach, that might work better in the long run? I don't know.

On piccolo trumpet?
1948 Holton Model 48
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: