• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Embouchure questions?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emaginethat

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Embouchure questions? Reply with quote

Hi I have been trumpet for a while now, I feel like I have not been improving at all. When I ascend higher past a middle C my notes sound airy and start to crack and fall apart. I also have trouble playing in the staff, so now I believe all this time it has been my embouchure that's been holding me back and it's also uncomfortable to my lips. I don't know if it's my mouthpiece, or it's just I have been playing trumpet the wrong way this whole time, but here's a link to pictures of how I have been playing.
How I have been playing all along:

Suggested embouchure, but I can't even buzz when I play this, only air comes out.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome to TH!

Just to clarify what we're looking at, the bottom set of pictures you have rolled your lower lip under your top lip a bit? Trying to play that way per teacher's suggestion, you just can't do it?
emaginethat

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah my band director told me that I play with too much bottom lip, and in the bottom set of pictures I try to say the letter M and my embouchure looks thinner, and it does look similar to the trumpet professional players embochures. But it's just I can't play clear notes, but my director told me that I will have to hold notes out for a long time, until my lips get used to the change. It's just I really don't want to have to start all over, but if this change is a better embouchure then I would.
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that deliberately changing your embouchure is almost never the right thing to do. I'm not sure what you mean by "middle C", but usually that is the C below the staff. If that is really your breaking point, then maybe an embouchure change isn't that big of a deal since you wouldn't be able to play anything without it anyway. If it means something else, I'd really try to work with what you have to improve first and foremost.

I would find a real teacher, not a band director. I was in the same situation as you once. A band director stupidly tried to get me to change my embouchure, and it really messed me up for a while (yes the band director's main instrument was trumpet, but clearly he had no idea what he was doing). Then I found a teacher who knew how to play trumpet, and he had me squared away with the original embouchure in no time. I can now play well above and well below anything I've ever been asked to play with endurance lasting well beyond what I need.

Place the mouthpiece where it is comfortable, and forget about it. Do exercises to improve your air (intake and exhale). Do exercises that will subconsciously, incrementally improve your embouchure without your conscious manipulation. You will build a strong foundation. A strong foundation will not be randomly found by randomly changing lips or mouthpiece placement.

What are these exercises? Well it depends on your current playing ability, but the most important in my opinion is flexibility studies. You must be playing these every day with the correct goals and attitude.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of folks do better with more of their lips more inside the piece like your later pics. But there certainly are players that do fine "on the red". I'd also recommend seeking out a consultation with a pro before trying to make such a big change.

Just out of curiosity, what size mouthpiece are you playing? Have you tried different ones?
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart

Last edited by cheiden on Thu May 28, 2015 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
emaginethat

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just I believe that my embouchure is the problem because I have been playing trumpet for almost a year, and I can play above the staff, well I can but it's not consistent and it takes a lot to do it, and pressure. And I can not play for a long time without my embouchure starting to hurt. And I hear all the time that pressure is not the key, but I play on a Bach 7c, and I feel like it's too small for my lips because I have thick lips but I was told that it doesn't matter what kind of mouthpiece that you play on.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure there are guys with thick lips that play smaller pieces but that doesn't mean it's going to work for you. Wouldn't hurt to try a 3C or a 1.5C and see if that doesn't make things easier for you. FWIW I think it's easier to try different mouthpiece diameters using Yamaha pieces instead of Bach because the Yamaha pieces are more uniform between sizes. Your Bach 7C is probably closest to the Yamaha 11C4 or 11C4. Going up to 12 through 16 changes little other than the diameter. With Bach pieces changing diameter usually changes a whole bunch of other parameters that makes evaluating the size change harder.

And for the record, after just a year of playing not everybody can play much above the staff. And the key to avoiding pressure is to have a good fundamentals routine that helps you develop the other things you need to to do to avoid resorting to pressure.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emaginethat wrote:
Yeah my band director told me that I play with too much bottom lip, and in the bottom set of pictures I try to say the letter M and my embouchure looks thinner, and it does look similar to the trumpet professional players embochures. But it's just I can't play clear notes, but my director told me that I will have to hold notes out for a long time, until my lips get used to the change. It's just I really don't want to have to start all over, but if this change is a better embouchure then I would.

I know you don't want to hear this ... I have been steered into embouchure changes and I feel your pain ...

YES. That is good advice. In fact you might be better served by rolling the bottom lip in even more, tucking it under your upper lip more and more as you ascend. Your teacher's stated idea of holding out a note for a full breath; o.e., long tones, and really "settling into" each note, giving our body a chance to adjust to what it needs to do based on what sounds good but constrained with proper mechanics as taught, REALLY IS the way to learn to play this instrument!!! This one point cannot be over-stated.

You might also need a bigger mouthpiece. The largest size made isn't that much bigger than a typical student model, but it might make a world of difference for you. A Bach 1 size rim, but maybe not their typical super deep cup that comes with it, would be very much worthwhile for you to try. Like going to a music store, and just try while looking in a mirror. If you get sound whereas on your own mouthpiece with the same embouchure as instructed you don't, that is a valid indication. Talk to your teacher about it!

Schilke also makes mouthpieces that tend to be readily available. Their number system works such that 24 is their largest size rim, with 20 being a bit bigger than Bach 1. (Schilke 16 is about like Bach 1?) These larger sizes are rarer and you may not find any in a music store. Yamaha uses Schilke's numbering scheme. Good for you to have some idea what you're looking for if you get the chance to go to a music store.

These first steps of getting a functional set-up, with equipment that works FOR YOU - is really really important!! I know the prospect of starting over is really scary, but if you apply yourself diligently and smartly to correct practice, 2 weeks will give your body time to figure things out enough to play. Be patient with yourself. Tolerate not being able to make a sound without beating yourself up over it. When frustrated be honest with yourself, put the horn gently back in it's case, walk away and try to come up with a good attitude - then practice some more once you have the right mindset.

If nothing else, applying yourself to these concepts will serve you will in ALL aspects of life! You'll probably also turn into a fine trumpet player, which can be a lot of fun.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALSO: if you're knowingly using more mouthpiece pressure against your face to play higher, you are relying on STRAIN. That's a sure way to cause yourself problems.

Tons of great reading on TH, but the very best thing on here for you now, often stated, is GET THE BEST TEACHER YOU CAN AFFORD. (And ditto cheiden's comments on mpcs)
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to say looking just placement alone, looks ok to me. You may be overblowing as you ascend and this causes the lips to separate more (which leads to more pressure and more overblowing).
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say the position of your lips is not a problem. My definition of embouchure is probably different than most; in fact I don't even use the term. I prefer "playing system" which entails lips, facial muscles, breathing apparatus, and most importantly mental concept of sound.

For one month try this; Focus entirely on the good aspects of your trumpet playing and completely ignore the problems.

Also, I have seen many problems caused by well meaning band directors.

PM me with your location and I will try to find some expert help for you.
Bluesy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Do NOT switch mouthpieces.
2. Raise the MP a little on your lips if it's still comfortable and you can blow straight down the drill hole into the trumpet. Forget blowing up, down, sideways, whatever.
3. "Cracking" and sizzling notes indicate terminal fatigue. I infer from that that you are not playing long tones, of if you are, that you're not devoting enough time and careful thought to them, or are skipping them.
4. Miles Davis had thick lips and played his entire career on a small Heim mouthpiece. I own a Heim 1 and a Heim 2 and believe me they are as small as a Bach 7C if not a bit smaller at the rim.
5. If you are already devoting 20 minutes a day on long tones, add the John Faddis range-building exercises to your long tone time every other day only. (And yes, it's "John" on this page of exercises, which I cannot seem to give you a link to, dammit!)
6. Since I can't seem to post a link to the page, here's the drill; play ascending major half-note triads, holding the last (highest) note until your lungful is gone; FAC, F#A#C#, GBD, etc. Remember! Only every other day.
7. And let the highest triad you can play be where you stop for a few days, until it seems comfortable and that you can try the next higher one.
8. Never, but never, play past the point of fatigue!

Bluesy
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest you give Phyllis Stork a call (888.287.8675). She's a mouthpiece expert and can discuss playing issues. These photos would give her some of the info she uses to help match players with mouthpieces.

Getting a different mouthpiece wouldn't magically fix everything, but trying to make the wrong mouthpiece work sure can make things more difficult. I know this from personal experience. Phyllis was very helpful to me.

Good luck!
Piccolo Stomvi
perspective
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="horntooter"]I would say that deliberately changing your embouchure is almost never the right thing to do. I'm not sure what you mean by "middle C", but usually that is the C below the staff. If that is really your breaking point, then maybe an embouchure change isn't that big of a deal since you wouldn't be able to play anything without it anyway. If it means something else, I'd really try to work with what you have to improve first and foremost.

If middle C is the one below the staff then where is low C ? Down in the pedals ? No, on a Bb trumpet, middle C is in the 3rd space, high C is the second line above the staff and low C is the first line below the staff. Makes sense, don't it ? So, I guess it is 3rd space you are referring to.

I would suggest then, as others have said, to roll the lips in more as you ascend, getting more of the facial skin within the cup. You will also need to pump a little more air into the horn in order to overcome the resistance this will have on the flow to get a buzz going - don't forget to pull the stomach muscles in order to create air compression. Try it with just the mpc or just buzz the lips. It will come eventually - devote 1/2 hour day to just that.
Good luck.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, Greg Spence has some free internet videos and I seem to recall that some talk about basic embouchure formation. If I'm right his approach will likely lead you to keep you embouchure more similar to your current setup rather than one that you've already told us doesn't work.
Here's a link...
http://www.mysterytomastery.com/videos/
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 8 responders, and 9 different opinions. Welcome to TH!

Although I will say if Billy B can hook you up with someone local to you, that'd be a good bet. I mean, with a last name like Berggren, what's not to trust?

(That's the spelling of my last name, his is the same but w/o the double g)
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Well, 8 responders, and 9 different opinions. Welcome to TH!

Although I will say if Billy B can hook you up with someone local to you, that'd be a good bet. I mean, with a last name like Berggren, what's not to trust?

(That's the spelling of my last name, his is the same but w/o the double g)

Yeah, the best advice was get a good teacher, not advice from a band director unless he is a good trumpet player, and check out the free vids on MTM.

That said, you've only been playing a year. You should be working on low A to middle (4th space)C.

Also, from the size of your lips I might recommend a 3C. For small kids, I put them on a 10-1/2C - better suited to their size. 7C is a good mpc, but not the end all be all of beginner mpcs.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
horntooter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perspective wrote:
horntooter wrote:
I would say that deliberately changing your embouchure is almost never the right thing to do. I'm not sure what you mean by "middle C", but usually that is the C below the staff. If that is really your breaking point, then maybe an embouchure change isn't that big of a deal since you wouldn't be able to play anything without it anyway. If it means something else, I'd really try to work with what you have to improve first and foremost.

If middle C is the one below the staff then where is low C ? Down in the pedals ? No, on a Bb trumpet, middle C is in the 3rd space, high C is the second line above the staff and low C is the first line below the staff. Makes sense, don't it ? So, I guess it is 3rd space you are referring to.

As I mentioned, "middle C" *usually* refers to the C below the staff. "Middle C" is the actual name of that note (try googling "what is middle C?"). This is why I was asking for clarification. Ask 1000 people who know music which note middle C is, and 999 will tell you it's that one. The one person who doesn't will try to tell you it's different because they play trumpet and that is low C. That person is breaking standard naming convention. I'd say "C in the staff" is much more common and less confusing of a term for the C in the staff...since it is unambiguously referring to the note.
emaginethat

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I refer to the Cs, C below the staff low C. C in the staff middle C, and the C above the staff high C. But if I am wrong thanks for educating me, but I will try to post a video of me playing a scale so you all can get a visual of how I play and what might actually be the problem.
emaginethat

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I live in Nashville, TN so if you guys know anyone in that location then Pm their information please. I tried takelessons.com but it's expensive, and I think I need a teacher in person.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: