• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When to do the Caruso exercises?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Biggiobro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: When to do the Caruso exercises? Reply with quote

I have read all of the getting started forums, and it seems pretty clear these exercises are meant to be played at the beginning of your practice routine. My question is, do you do a short warm up before these, a long warm up routine before, or are these the first thing you play on the horn? Thanks.
robertmooretruro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do Caruso first thing in the morning after I wake up around 6:30 in the morning. I do my main Practise throughout the rest of the day. Usually after lunch. I think Caruso works best with a big rest afterwords because it is meant as exercise rather than music.
Couesnon Monopole Star Flugelhorn SN: 38882
GR Paul Tynan 65.4 FL V2 prototype
robertmooretruro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get blood flowing to the lips with didgeridoo as a warm up for maybe 2 minutes. This helps doing the exercises with the minimum amount of tension and prevents strain from playing cold but I think many consider the six notes as the first thing they do every day. I may be wrong. I'm no expert.
Couesnon Monopole Star Flugelhorn SN: 38882
GR Paul Tynan 65.4 FL V2 prototype
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally speaking, the exercises are to be done after a warm-up. Whether that's long or short depends on your needs. Ideally the routine is done fairly early on in your practicing so it is done on fresh chops, but you still "locked in to play"

If you have found that it works as your first notes of the day, awesome - keep doing that. We're all different
oldblow
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago, I received a copy of the Marcinkiewicz book, "The Buzzzone," which is a variation/expansion/explanation of Caruso. When I noticed the connection, I got out my unopened copy of Caruso, and contemplated using them together. Presently, I use Caruso to play the first notes of the day, but only the long tones, and not too much or too high. That is followed by some Stamp and some Flow Studies. Oh, I play some Hood mouthpiece exercises on a Flip Oakes Personal mouthpiece before doing anything else. My feeling at the moment, is that breaking the Caruso into a starting exercise, then finishing for the day with the long slurs works pretty well at developing muscle, with repertoire in the middle sessions.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carmine told me to make the Six Notes my first notes of the day. These days, I usually do just a little mouthpiece buzzing first.

Alan
gstump
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was given the 6 notes followed by the harmonics as a warm-up.

I have done it this way for 47 years. However, for theater work toward the end of my career, I buzzed on the mouthpiece during the commute.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On light days I will do the 6 notes last before I put the horn away for the evening. It's probably not the way most folks do it, but this was suggested to me by Caruso student, John Harner.
trumpetdiva1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurie always recommended to practice her routine on fresh chops. She would ask me at the beginning of several trumpet lessons if I had played much that day.

Janell

---
Listen to this sample: Michael Haydn Concerto for Trumpet - II (Allegro) -
http://tinyurl.com/hgzhq23
---
Terry Heckman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was doing them generally at the end of the day, with some soft notes after to "loosen up" again. I was warned that the Carusos could make the chops stiff, so to make sure that flexibility stuff was balanced into the rest of the day.
pepperdean
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry,

I always liked doing the Caruso exercises early to help loosen up, especially if I'd had a tough blow the night before. If I had something early morning, like a church gig, I'd get up extra early and use Caruso stuff to blow out the cobwebs and set myself up for the day.

Alan
dkwolfe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Heckman wrote:
I was doing them generally at the end of the day, with some soft notes after to "loosen up" again. I was warned that the Carusos could make the chops stiff, so to make sure that flexibility stuff was balanced into the rest of the day.

Great advice! I've been working on the 1st exercise, and I found that I was really tight (low G#, G, and F# needed lots of "heroics" to get to come out). Flexibility studies became the order of the day, and things are fine, but it took a while.

D
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with a student of Carmine's back in 74-75 and he had me do the 6 notes first thing. Later I went to Carmine for a few years and he had me do the same thing. Anyone who studied with Carmine will remember sitting and watching others take a lesson. I did notice that some students were told to tongue the first note and some he had them do a breath attack when doing the 6 notes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Carmine Caruso All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: