• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trent Austin's doublers flugel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Trent Austin's doublers flugel Reply with quote

Just received one of Trent Austin's "doublers flugels."
VERY nice horn, seems well built, valves and slides smooth, even brand new. Has a nice, round, dark sound (as a flugel should!), looking forward to using it on this weekend's gigs!

Nice horn, great guy to do business with!

Brad
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea how it compares to a Carol/Yamaha/Bach? Is it more like an "intermediate" model? I've never been into fleugelhorn, I had a so-so DEG one years ago. But I may have to get one just because it would fit in better with the more intimate playing situations I run into.
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very much like a Yamaha 631. Best flugelhorn value on the market IMO. I would have to play a LOT more flugelhorn before I'd consider replacing mine.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
Any idea how it compares to a Carol/Yamaha/Bach? Is it more like an "intermediate" model? I've never been into fleugelhorn, I had a so-so DEG one years ago. But I may have to get one just because it would fit in better with the more intimate playing situations I run into.

I've not played the Carol or Bach, but I had a Yamaha YFH731 years ago. Hard to say at this early point, but so far I would say the ACB horn compares very favorably to the Yamaha. Build quality of Trent's horn seems VERY good. I also had a DEG flugel years ago, the ACB horn seems much better, at least in terms of build quality, plus Trent does a PVA on it, and possibly some other tweaks. For me, it's perfect; I don't use a flugel enough to justify a high price, this is a great fit for me. Sort of reminds me of some of the Couesnon flugels, (or was it Courtois?) in the 70's you could find one for about 100.00 new, and they were very nice as well, especially for broke college guys!
Would this horn be considered "intermediate"? Actually, I would think not, but I also don't care what it's considered, it's a darn nice horn!

Brad
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a solid horn at a great price. It's based on a Yamaha 631/731. (Like many others...dillon) clunky valves...but never valve problems. Decent intonation.

While I wouldn't say it plays nearly as well as a 631/731, it costs less than 1/3 the price of a new Yamaha. So...for very infrequent use, it's a bargain!
mbradd
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.kemp wrote:
While I wouldn't say it plays nearly as well as a 631/731, it costs less than 1/3 the price of a new Yamaha. So...for very infrequent use, it's a bargain!

Hence the moniker, Doubler's. For someone that doesn't play THAT much flugel, you can't go wrong with one of these. He checks them all, makes adjustments, and doesn't put his name on anything that doesn't meet his standards. I'd say that's a pretty safe bet.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trent Austin's doublers flugel Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Just received one of Trent Austin's "doublers flugels."
VERY nice horn, seems well built, valves and slides smooth, even brand new. Has a nice, round, dark sound (as a flugel should!), looking forward to using it on this weekend's gigs!

Nice horn, great guy to do business with!

Brad

Trent is a nice guy. I've purchased 2 horns from him.

Congratulations on the new flugel.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update: used it on a gig last night. Surprisingly good valves and intonation, dark sound that still projects....a darn nice flugel!

Brad
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with those who say the Doubler's flugel is a great value for the money.

It plays even better (in my opinion) with lighter valve springs and a Yamaha leadpipe. Total extra investment of around $30.

There's another thread here about this horn with links to the parts.
1948 Holton Model 48
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just wondering how the Trent Austin doubler compares to a Jupiter 846RL?
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
[ I had a Yamaha YFH731 years ago. Hard to say at this early point, but so far I would say the ACB horn compares very favorably to the Yamaha.

Favorably, in what way? Does the doubler's have a lighter sound? Some people like that
MacMichael
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I once owned a Yamaha 731 a couple of years ago, an old one from the 1970s, which looked and felt very nice in the hands.
The valves were not so good though, and the sound actually too trumpet-like ( as weird as that may seem), so I purchased a brand new Jupiter 846RL and it has never let me down.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to guess this horn is set up to use a Yamaha (large morse) shank flugel mouthpiece?

I'm kind of interested in having a "beater" flugel for big band gigs where the risk of horn damage is higher than my typical brass band performance. But, I'm stocked up on bach taper and french taper pieces, don't own any of the yamaha flavor, and don't want to add any.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
I'm going to guess this horn is set up to use a Yamaha (large morse) shank flugel mouthpiece?

I'm kind of interested in having a "beater" flugel for big band gigs where the risk of horn damage is higher than my typical brass band performance. But, I'm stocked up on bach taper and french taper pieces, don't own any of the yamaha flavor, and don't want to add any.

You could get a couple of $30 (sic!) Yamaha leadpipes for the 631 flugelhorn from Yamaha parts 24x7. This leadpipe matches Trent's doubler flugelhorn which is a copy of 631. Ask Jim Becker to replace the large Morse receiver on Yamaha leadpipe with the small Morse Bach-compatible receiver on one and French taper receiver on the other, and you will have a setup for all major flugelhorn shanks.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
[ I had a Yamaha YFH731 years ago. Hard to say at this early point, but so far I would say the ACB horn compares very favorably to the Yamaha.

Favorably, in what way? Does the doubler's have a lighter sound? Some people like that

Without being able to play them side by side, I would say "favorably" as in a similar tone color (and I'm using the exact same mpce, a custom made Schilke, close in diameter and rim to their 15 trumpet piece), and build quality, also keeping in mind that Trent's horn costs about a fourth or less of the cost of a new Yamaha flugel. It also seems as if the upper register (and of course that's not what you buy a flugel for) of the ACB flugel is a bit more open.

Brad
Alan H

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based in large part on this thread, I just bought one of these for my first flugelhorn. We shall see!
Alan H

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so while I'm no expert by any means, I've now had a store demo horn for about a week. From what I can tell, intonation is good. The nature of the sound itself is gorgeous. The valves are nice. It came pre-played of course, and the first valve was sticky but a wipedown of the valve and the piston and re-oiling has made everything right.

The horn feels solid and is visually gorgeous. I know I'm probably swayed inordinantly by "shiny" but sheesh. Trent was very helpful via Facebook messaging during the purchase.

Happy customer, here.
Fluegel-Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

I got one of these horns last year and have a mouthpiece collection of mostly the large taper variety. Some of these (especially those made by Yamaha) bottom out in my Getzen Eterna (1973) but fit just fine in the ACB Doubler. The funny thing is that I have a couple of Bach (small taper) pieces and they also fit - no problem!
Alan H

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluegel-Boy wrote:

I got one of these horns last year and have a mouthpiece collection of mostly the large taper variety. Some of these (especially those made by Yamaha) bottom out in my Getzen Eterna (1973) but fit just fine in the ACB Doubler. The funny thing is that I have a couple of Bach (small taper) pieces and they also fit - no problem!

Hey, I'm thinking of picking up a different mouthpiece for the flugel and since I play on an old 1970's Coast 10 1/2C on trumpet I was thinking about a Bach 10 1/2 C flugel mouthpiece as well. However, the idea of using the smaller rim and shallow-ish cup on the flugelhorn kind of doesn't seem right.

Your Bach mouthpieces fit fine?
Fluegel-Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they did! I'm assuming that the receiver on this horn can accept both large and small tapers.

Also, don't worry about a shallow cup on a Bach 10-1/2C. If it's a flugelhorn mouthpiece, it will have the proper depth which will definitely not be shallow!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: