• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trent Austin's doublers flugel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan H

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluegel-Boy wrote:
Yes, they did! I'm assuming that the receiver on this horn can accept both large and small tapers.

Also, don't worry about a shallow cup on a Bach 10-1/2C. If it's a flugelhorn mouthpiece, it will have the proper depth which will definitely not be shallow!

OK, that's encouraging to hear. Thanks! I think I will spring for one next month and see how it goes.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan H wrote:
Fluegel-Boy wrote:
Yes, they did! I'm assuming that the receiver on this horn can accept both large and small tapers.

Also, don't worry about a shallow cup on a Bach 10-1/2C. If it's a flugelhorn mouthpiece, it will have the proper depth which will definitely not be shallow!

OK, that's encouraging to hear. Thanks! I think I will spring for one next month and see how it goes.

Just a bit of heads up FYI that while some Bach (American) tapered pieces fit in the ACB we strongly prefer the large Standard (or more commonly "Yamaha") tapered pieces in these horns.

Thanks everyone for your continued support!

Regards,

Trent
www.austincustombrass.com
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
rjd216

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:

And thank you for the service you provide to the trumpet community. I purchased a ACB Doubler's flugel back in March and it has been nothing short of a joy to play on every occasion.

Thanks for providing an excellent horn for an amazing price.
Alan H

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
Alan H wrote:
Fluegel-Boy wrote:

Just a bit of heads up FYI that while some Bach (American) tapered pieces fit in the ACB we strongly prefer the large Standard (or more commonly "Yamaha") tapered pieces in these horns.

Regards,

Trent

Hey Trent, what would be the closest Yamaha match for the Bach 10 1/2 C for flugelhorn?
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan H wrote:
TrentAustin wrote:
Alan H wrote:
Fluegel-Boy wrote:

Regards,

Trent

Hey Trent, what would be the closest Yamaha match for the Bach 10 1/2 C for flugelhorn?

I don't mean the brand specifically, but that's in terms of a taper. You can easily order a large taper flugelhorn mouthpiece from a wide variety of mouthpiece makers, including ACB of course

Best,
T
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Trent, I might as well ask you here:

what FL mpc do you make that comes closest to a Bach 1.25 ID? Bach and Greg Black both are consistent in this size rim. If you set calipers to .673", they will go into the cup past the bite radius. I don't have a way to measure how far, but ... comfortably into the cup and past the bite radius.

I'm needing something in a French taper, and while I like the idea of the Flip Oakes extreme I have his size 1 cornet mpc., and it's a bit tight by comparison to the 1.25 I'm playing these days.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

razeontherock wrote:
Hey Trent, I might as well ask you here:

what FL mpc do you make that comes closest to a Bach 1.25 ID? Bach and Greg Black both are consistent in this size rim. If you set calipers to .673", they will go into the cup past the bite radius. I don't have a way to measure how far, but ... comfortably into the cup and past the bite radius.

I'm needing something in a French taper, and while I like the idea of the Flip Oakes extreme I have his size 1 cornet mpc., and it's a bit tight by comparison to the 1.25 I'm playing these days.

We're happy to help you with this question. Please email it to the shop (info@austincustombrass.com) and we'll answer it there. Thanks!
-t
Alan H

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I took the thing out in public tonight....played a couple of tunes with the jazz quartet at church. I warned 'em!..I Remember Clifford and In the Wee Small Hours of the Night were on the menu. Despite issues with the first valve, I was pleased with the sound. I actually sound almost like I know what I'm doing, or will, soon with this horn. Now that I have it home, the first valve is totally fine. ARRGH
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan H wrote:
Well, I took the thing out in public tonight....played a couple of tunes with the jazz quartet at church. I warned 'em!..I Remember Clifford and In the Wee Small Hours of the Night were on the menu. Despite issues with the first valve, I was pleased with the sound. I actually sound almost like I know what I'm doing, or will, soon with this horn. Now that I have it home, the first valve is totally fine. ARRGH

If you really feel there is a problem with the first valve that will not correct itself with more break-in and diligent cleaning (as in wiping the valve and swabbing the casing after every use for a while), I would think contacting Trent would not be unreasonable, ANY horn can have a slight defect, that may be easily corrected.

Brad
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be happy to chat with you if you continue to have issues let us know.
-T
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're only going to play flugelhorn once in a while (or even more often than that!) then the Austin Doublers horn is a very nice choice. I love the sound and intonation, and the price point can't be beat. Get the rose brass bell for the biggest bang for the buck tonally.

As for the Getzen, I've not played the 3895 but I have played the new Getzen Reserve flugelhorn and it's flat-out awesome. Great horn. Great sound. Great valves. A LOT more money than the Austin!
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with the Shew flugelhorn, BTW, so can't comment there either.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
F.E. Olds Nut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Getzen 3895 Custom flugel and a fellow member in my big band purchased one of TA's doubler's flugels this past week. I am almost tempted to sell my Getzen and buy one of those horns! It it is a little more compact and nimble than the Getzen, which still as an absolutely dynamite horn BTW. The intonation was excellent and I would have no problem using it as my primary flugel
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Bill Dishman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Austin Brass Doublers Flugelhorn Reply with quote

I bought one for a friend and he loved it. I got it back recently as he purchased a different and much more expensive horn.

Loaned the Austin Brass Flugle whle away this summer and he loved it. He played with some of the Jacksonville Symphony players this summer and they really liked it as well.

If I didn't like my Cuesnon flugle so much I would play the Austin Brass horn.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: