• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Trent Austin's doublers flugel

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vega-Lux

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Austin Brass Doublers Flugelhorn Reply with quote

Bill Dishman wrote:
I bought one for a friend and he loved it...Loaned the Austin Brass Flugle while away this summer and he loved it. He played with some of the Jacksonville Symphony players this summer and they really liked it as well. If I didn't like my Cuesnon flugle so much I would play the Austin Brass horn.

Bill Dishman
Gainesville, Florida

Hey Bill,

I grew up in Gainesville Florida, and played cornet with the award winning Gainesville High School Purple Hurricanes band. Martha Stark was such an inspiring band director! Back in the late 70's, I remember our band playing a "Children of Sanchez" arrangement (I think it was one of Gary Langford's 400 arrangements), and Chuck Mangione's sound was in my head from listening to the vinyl over and over.

Fast forward 36 years, and I just ordered my first flugelhorn -- an ACB Doubler's flugel --last night. I'll pick it up in person from Trent this coming week. They are flying out of his shop because he has dropped his price (for the month of September) to the introductory price from 6 years ago!

Get them while they are red-brass-hot!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Hilgers wrote:
F.E. Olds Nut, thanks so much. That is good information.

I am emailing with TA to get some more info on the doubler's flugel ....

My anticipated use for the Flugel is delicate very-low-sound-level solos. Should I therefore not look for a small bore horn.

The Getzen is .420 while the doubler is .433. With this in mind how do these horns feel to you in comparison when you play low-sound-level solos?

Thanks again.
Harry

Have not played that Getzen, but I have the ACB horn (I started this thread). You would need to decide for yourself which plays best for you, but keep in mind that there are a LOT of things that affect how any horn plays besides bore size. My Wild Thing is 470; before I tried and bought it I thought that may hurt my endurance. As Flip states on his website, in the case of the WT, my endurance is probably somewhat better than on some other horns. And unlike other horns, the exception to many other horns is my Benge, which has had Flip's enhancement.

Brad
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
StupidBrassObsession
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Doubler's Flugel too. It's an amazing instrument for the price. I don't use it nearly as much as I would like. It's quite mouthpiece sensitive. I have one of Trent's extra deep flugel mouthpieces, as well as couple of smaller ones, and the extra deep one gets a very dark, rich, full sound. The other ones, a much lighter, fluffier sound.

I did initially have some problems with valves sticking but I wasn't aware of the procedure for the break-in period for valves. Once I had cleaned and oiled them a half dozen times, they stopped sticking. So make sure you do the wipe down & re-oil everyday until they settle in.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Hilgers wrote:
Brad, thanks for you feedback and thanks for starting this thread.
It is much appreciated.
Harry

No problem, and hey, no charge!😉

I also have found mine to be a bit "mouthpiece sensitive" also; I much prefer the sound and feel with my Schilke 15 (equivalent) flugel mouthpiece (I had Schilke make this back in the 70's) than a smaller Bach mouthpiece.

Brad
Hnelldor

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize I'm bringing up an old thread, but after having the ACB doubler's flugel for about four years of use, I continue to be impressed with how well it's held up. Wonderful sound with the right mouthpiece, and as I said before, it's held up wonderfully considering it was a cheaper Asian built horn. For the price was a steal!
Thank you Mr. Austin for a great product!

-Nick
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recently got one of Trent's Double Flugel to replace and old Imperial Flugel.

For one, there is NO comparison. The ACB Doubler Flugel has a much fuller and smokier sound, besides intonation is pretty good too.

I already used mine for a few solos at church and at the moment, our Principal trumpeter in our orchestra is using it for an upcoming solo at one of our next concerts. He just sounds awesome with it. Very full and powerful. (using a Wick 4F)
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: