• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Vincent BACH 1 popularity issue

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisrichardson

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject: Too big for most people Reply with quote

The 1 seems like such a tough guy mouthpiece, and will give a big fat sound. Guess what? Almost all people that use a 1 have crap for a high range. Also good luck on a pops concert. It can be right for some people with huge lips, but most people will be more effective with a smaller mouthpiece.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people I knew who have played on similarly large mouthpieces have been professionals doing a lot of playing in orchestras and they have generally used a smaller mouthpiece for higher playing.

Mind you its all relative. The Bach 1 looks tiny beside the Wick 2 cornet mouthpiece or the Schilke 20d2d.
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent BACH 1 popularity issue Reply with quote

Kamyar wrote:
Hi All,

Why BACH 1 mp, specifically "1", not "1X" nor "1C", etc, is not popular? What's wrong with it?

Regards,

Kamyar

Hi Kamyar

There is nothing wrong with it, but it is extreme in size.

Most beginners do better on a mouthpiece with a medium cup diameter, medium cup depth and medium playing characteristics. Basically a middle of the road general purpose mouthpiece.

I'd personally suggest something in the Bach 7C-3C cup diameter, such as a Bach 7C, 5C or 3C, Yamaha 11B4, 11C4 or 14B4 etc. I've only bothered listing respected two manufacturers, but of course their are many more.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Kamyar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent BACH 1 popularity issue Reply with quote

Louise Finch wrote:

Hi Kamyar

Most beginners do better on a mouthpiece with a medium cup diameter, medium cup depth and medium playing characteristics. Basically a middle of the road general purpose mouthpiece.

I'd personally suggest something in the Bach 7C-3C cup diameter, such as a Bach 7C, 5C or 3C, Yamaha 11B4, 11C4 or 14B4 etc. I've only bothered listing respected two manufacturers, but of course their are many more.

Take Care

Lou

Hi Lou and others and thank you all,

About the other mps you've mentioned:Yamaha 11C4 which my horn(Yamaha) accompanied with has got wide rim and too small cup diameter; it's like a tiny ,small shoe to me.I don't even know where I should place upon my lips!

Bach 7C does get into my lips and makes my tooth painful.
Bach 3C seems good in both cup diameter and depth but has got wide rim.I'm not comfortable with it.

But about Bach 1 ,the key point is there's enough room for my lips to maneuvre.while practicing I feel I'm swimming inside it and I feel comfortabale which I've never sensed in the other mps I've told about.So my lips are so relaxed ,there's no tension.

Now my question is :The Bach 1, does it impede my progress?

Regards,

Kamyar
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent BACH 1 popularity issue Reply with quote

Kamyar wrote:
Louise Finch wrote:

Hi Kamyar

Take Care

Lou

Hi Lou and others and thank you all,

Hi Kamyar

About the other mps you've mentioned:Yamaha 11C4 which my horn(Yamaha) accompanied with has got wide rim and too small cup diameter; it's like a tiny ,small shoe to me.I don't even know where I should place upon my lips!

Bach 7C does get into my lips and makes my tooth painful.
Bach 3C seems good in both cup diameter and depth but has got wide rim.I'm not comfortable with it.

I understand what you are saying. Since you are a beginner, if you are not already having lessons from a good teacher, I would recommend a few lessons from a very respected brass teacher, to ensure that you are forming your embouchure correctly. I'm not in anyway saying that you are doing anything wrong, only suggesting that it is worth checking that you aren't having more success on a really big mouthpiece, because your embouchure is too open for example.

You could simply be one of those player for which a large mouthpiece is a better fit, but I would recommend checking with a good teacher that this is the case, before you develop too far on the Bach 1C.

It sounds like you prefer a narrower rounder rim. Some players do, but everything is a compromise. In my opinion, players generally have greater flexibility and easier articulations with a narrower rounder rim, but at the expense of the narrower rounder rim having a smaller surface area in contact with the lips, which can decrease endurance. With a wider flatter rim, in my opinion, players generally have greater endurance at the expense of less flexibility and clean articulations being harder to execute.

Although the 3C has a flatter rim than a 7C, it is in my opinion, a good compromise in terms of the above, and isn't a wide rim in my opinion.

I am wondering whether you would find the Bach 1 1/2C a better compromise. The rim is not as flat as a 3C in my opinion, and the cup is a little wider and deeper. The Bach 1 1/4C has a rim more like the 7C, but in my opinion, it is a little big for an all-around mouthpiece, and the 1 1/2C would be a better choice.

But about Bach 1 ,the key point is there's enough room for my lips to maneuvre.while practicing I feel I'm swimming inside it and I feel comfortabale which I've never sensed in the other mps I've told about.So my lips are so relaxed ,there's no tension.

Now my question is :The Bach 1, does it impede my progress?

It may very well do when you develop your upper register. Such a large mouthpiece could lead to the embouchure being too open, and excess pressure being used to ascend in register rather than correct technique.

I really hope that this helps.

Take Care

Lou

Regards,

Kamyar

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irving wrote:
The 1 was basically a signature mouthpiece. It was the style of mouthpiece that Vacchiano used. Most people can't use such a large mouthpiece with a thin rim. It is much bigger than a 1C, which is already very large. Bach didn't produce signature mouthpieces, unlike Yamaha, who have made many. Some of them were pretty exotic, and nobody but their namesakes could play them. (Who knows if even they could use them?).

I'm not sure where you got that information regarding the idea that the Bach 1 was some sort of "signature mouthpiece" for William Vacchiano. As originally designed, the Bach 1 (in the New York and Mt Vernon eras) had a nice, comfortable wide rim. Tooling changes (aka mistakes) at the Bach factory caused it to shift and become the thin-rimmed monster it turned into. Easiest thing right now is to just find a previous post I did on this subject:

John Mohan wrote:
Try a Bach 1X. The 1X is Bach's own copy of their original Bach 1 mouthpieces from the Mt Vernon and New York eras. The original Bach 1 had a smaller diameter and a wider more comfortable rim than it does today. It's a fantastic mouthpiece if you want a big, sonorous orchestral sound. Here's a scan comparing the popular Bach 1X (in green) to the not-so-popular modern Bach 1 (in red):

Bach 1 (red) vs Bach 1X (green)

Here's the description of the 1X from the Bach catalog:

Quote:
The pre-1970 (old style) No. 1, with slightly smaller
cup and wider rim than the present model.

Note that the 1X came to be because players who played the original Bach 1 were buying new replacements or spare mouthpieces and were complaining about the new Bach 1 pieces being much bigger and less playable than their originals. The company investigated this and found that due to tooling changes and inconsistencies (big surprise there!) the size of the Bach 1 mouthpiece cup had grown considerably while its rim had thinned as a result of the cups getting cut bigger and bigger. So instead of just correcting the problem on the 1 model, they brought out a second model, the 1X.

I hope you find this helpful and at least interesting!

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Not incidentally, I have multiple sources for the above info, including Scott Laskey and Karl Hammond.

Best wishes,

John
trpt2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,
You are absolutely correct.
(And I was one of the "complainers" to Bach in the early/mid 70' s).
Lloyd Fillio (sp ?)- head of the factory at the time, told me of the tooling change.

Bob Earley
Kamyar

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent BACH 1 popularity issue Reply with quote

Hi Lou,

Some players do, but In my opinion, players generally have greater flexibility and easier articulations with a narrower rounder rim, but at the expense of the narrower rounder rim having a smaller surface area in contact with the lips, which can decrease endurance.

Exactly,Decreased endurance is the issue I face it now.

Couldn't I fade out this issue by practice?

BACH 1C which is the closest to BACH 1 for me,I like it's cup diameter and volume but as you mentioned because of flatter and bigger rim than BACH 1,in my opinion, sounds are more stable but I feel I'm in prison and can't move as much as I like.It fixes my lips snd does not let my lips to move easily.

I am wondering whether you would find the Bach 1 1/2C a better compromise. The rim is not as flat as a 3C in my opinion, and the cup is a little wider and deeper. The Bach 1 1/4C has a rim more like the 7C, but in my opinion, it is a little big for an all-around mouthpiece, and the 1 1/2C would be a better choice.[/b]

It's possible to check BACH 1 1/2, I will try.

Thank you a lot,

Regards,

Kamyar
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah well, you're a beginner. I sincerely doubt that you can determine how the nuances of rim contour, diameter, cup depth and shape, and backbore have effect on your embouchure and your performance.

Spend your money on a good teacher, and let that teacher help you find a suitable mpc for you to start with. You won't need a change for years.
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, It is a supposition on my part knowing that Vacchiano played a very large mouthpiece with a thin rim. He was actively playing at the time, and used Bach equipment. Do I know for a fact that Bach made the (new) 1 as a signature piece for Vacchiano? No I don't. I do know that he used a thin rim with an extra large cup though. I find it hard to believe that Bach decided to just change the tooling for no reason, or even worse, that it was some sort of mistake. I have heard Bach representatives giving their reasons for certain changes, and when they make no sense, then it seems like they were trying to hide the truth for some reason. "A tooling mistake" (that could have been rectified) sounds like BS to me.

Just to add, that no manufacturer at the time made the kind of rim that Vacchiano used. Until Bach changed the way the 1 was made. Vacchiano either had to change his rims himself, or go down to Giardinelli or Peppy, and they would do it. Back then, you could walk into Giardinelli's, give him your mouthpiece, and tell him to change the rim to a "Vacchiano rim". He would then thin out the rim, and round it out as well so that it didn't have a sharp inner edge. Which is the same sort of rim the Bach 1 has.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Vincent BACH 1 popularity issue Reply with quote

Kamyar wrote:
Hi Lou,

Some players do, but In my opinion, players generally have greater flexibility and easier articulations with a narrower rounder rim, but at the expense of the narrower rounder rim having a smaller surface area in contact with the lips, which can decrease endurance.

Exactly,Decreased endurance is the issue I face it now.

Couldn't I fade out this issue by practice?

Hi Kamyar

I am not a teacher by any means, but in my opinion, a player would have to have a very strong embouchure and would have to practise for many hours a day to have good endurance on a mouthpiece that size.

BACH 1C which is the closest to BACH 1 for me,I like it's cup diameter and volume but as you mentioned because of flatter and bigger rim than BACH 1,in my opinion, sounds are more stable but I feel I'm in prison and can't move as much as I like.It fixes my lips snd does not let my lips to move easily.

This may just be owing to your dental structure, embouchure, or even simply what you have gotten used to, but I would really recommend just a couple of good lessons to make sure that everything is ok with your technique and embouchure, and there is not something fundamental with your technique that is causing you to feel that you cannot move your lips with a flatter rim, and to prevent you from using an unnecessarily narrow and rounded rim at the expense of endurance.

I do not like wide flat rims either. I too feel that they tend to pin down the embouchure, but Bach rims aren't in opinion generally overly wide or flat. The Bach 6 is the only Bach rim that I find uncomfortably flat.

Anyhow, we are all different, and if a good teacher agrees that you are better suited to a rounder narrower rim, then hopefully after seeing you and hearing you play, they would have some suggestions of makes and models to try.

Here is a link to the Kanstul comparator, which allows you to map one mouthpiece over another. The B models are Bach models.

http://kanstul.net/MPcompare/MouthpieceComparator.html

I cannot really suggest mouthpieces to try without seeing or hearing you play, and I'm not a teacher anyhow, so am probably not very good at fitting mouthpieces to individual embouchures. For example, I can tell you that in my opinion mouthpiece A has a flatter rim than mouthpiece B, but I cannot ascertain which will suit you better.

I am wondering whether you would find the Bach 1 1/2C a better compromise. The rim is not as flat as a 3C in my opinion, and the cup is a little wider and deeper. The Bach 1 1/4C has a rim more like the 7C, but in my opinion, it is a little big for an all-around mouthpiece, and the 1 1/2C would be a better choice.

It's possible to check BACH 1 1/2, I will try.

May be worth a try, especially if you can try one in a music store before you buy, or can come across a used one for a reasonable price, which you can sell on for what you paid, if it is not for you.

Thank you a lot,player

Regards,

Kamyar

You are very welcome.

Take Care

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Kamyar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Try a Bach 1X. The 1X is Bach's own copy of their original Bach 1 mouthpieces from the Mt Vernon and New York eras. The original Bach 1 had a smaller diameter and a wider more comfortable rim than it does today. It's a fantastic mouthpiece if you want a big, sonorous orchestral sound. Here's a scan comparing the popular Bach 1X (in green) to the not-so-popular modern Bach 1 (in red):

Bach 1 (red) vs Bach 1X (green)

Here's the description of the 1X from the Bach catalog:

Quote:
The pre-1970 (old style) No. 1, with slightly smaller
cup and wider rim than the present model.

Note that the 1X came to be because players who played the original Bach 1 were buying new replacements or spare mouthpieces and were complaining about the new Bach 1 pieces being much bigger and less playable than their originals. The company investigated this and found that due to tooling changes and inconsistencies (big surprise there!) the size of the Bach 1 mouthpiece cup had grown considerably while its rim had thinned as a result of the cups getting cut bigger and bigger. So instead of just correcting the problem on the 1 model, they brought out a second model, the 1X.

I hope you find this helpful and at least interesting!

Best wishes,

John Mohan

Not incidentally, I have multiple sources for the above info, including Scott Laskey and Karl Hammond.

Best wishes,

John[/quote]

I checked out "http://kanstul.com/mpcJN/Compare/CompareJRFF1.html".
To my eyes 1X is so close to 1C.If so,I have got 1C and can use it instead of 1X.
Any body has got suggestion on their differences?

Regards,

Kamyar
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kamyar

I haven't played either the 1X or 1C, so can only compare them on the Kanstul comparator, which you have already done.

In my opinion, both are too big for an all-around mouthpiece for a new player, and are probably better suited to an orchestra player, playing for many hours a day.

As I said previously, I can only recommend a few lessons from a good teacher, who after seeing and hearing you play, can help you find a mouthpiece that you can develop well on, and use for many years to come.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Richt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2023 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen this thread which may be cold, but I thought Id chip in for what it's worth....
I started playing with a Bach 1 mouthpiece when I was about 9 years old. I also my trumpet teacher, who was bandmaster of Chalk Farm Salvo Band for something broader and deeper. I went through my entire trumpet career to date using this for my Bb and anything else feels restrictive. I'm not a professional, but have played first trumpet in a range of amateur wind bands, orchestras and ensembles. My range is up to top Eb with it (Haydn tpt concerto 1st mvt) and I love the lyrical sound I think I can make. I guess I'm not a screamer but this is high enough for most scrnarios

I've got a Stormvi Piccolo tpt which I play with their "Old Style" 7E cornet mouthpiece which I also use on the Soprano Cornet I play in our local Brass Band. This seems to work better with the pressure from the narrow bore and is less harsh than a similar sized tpt mouthpiece.

Each to your own I guess, but never be afraid to try something different and good luck to you if it works!!
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacking on to this old thread-

I just received a new (current) version Bach 1 1/2 mouthpiece that is very close to my Bach Corp. 5C - so close that I haven’t yet determined exactly what the difference is. I can’t detect a difference in diameter when placing my thumb in the cups, and I’ll have to test more later to see just what difference there is if any in playing.

In contrast, there was an immediate perceptible difference from my Corp. 5C when I tried a current version 5C. The current was clearly smaller and not as comfortable to me as the Corp. version… I have two Corp. 5C mouthpieces that are in practice identical. I also have a Corp. 5C for flugelhorn, and while of course deeper, the feel is the same on my lips as the trumpet Corp. 5C.

My take is it is important to take into consideration in what era Bach mouthpieces were manufactured, and at least re Corp versions vs current, you can probably know what to expect.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
Tacking on to this old thread-

I just received a new (current) version Bach 1 1/2 mouthpiece that is very close to my Bach Corp. 5C - so close that I haven’t yet determined exactly what the difference is. I can’t detect a difference in diameter when placing my thumb in the cups, and I’ll have to test more later to see just what difference there is if any in playing.

This would make sense if it was say a Bach 3C, as my understanding (or at least rumour) is that post strike (2010 ish), Bach retooled their mouthpiece production from the cherry mouthpieces that Vincent Bach put aside. This presumably means that mouthpieces returned to spec sizes, rather than being larger than spec (said to be resulting from worn cutters, and became the norm, as only mouthpieces made soon after replacing the cutters were true to size). I'm not sure whether this is really the case, and there may be a completely different reason.

Whatever, the Bach mouthpiece prior to re-tooling were around the size of the Curry mouthpieces.

I believe around 16.50mm for a Bach 7C, 16.7mm for a Bach 5C and 16.89 or 16.9mm for a Bach 3C. Bach 1 1/2Cs seem to always have been around 17mm, which in my opinion is possible evidence against the worn cutters theory.

To get to my point, I can fully understand you finding new Bach 5Cs small, 16.25mm compared to 16.70mm for an older one, or a new Bach 3C at 16.30mm small compared to 16.90mm for an older one, but I believe that Bach 1 1/2Cs have always been around 17mm. Maybe 16.70mm for an older Bach 5C compared to 17mm for a newer Bach 1 1/2C does not feel that different.

I've just compared the two:

BACH 5C vs. BACH 1-1/2C

I now lol understand exactly what you mean.

In contrast, there was an immediate perceptible difference from my Corp. 5C when I tried a current version 5C. The current was clearly smaller and not as comfortable to me as the Corp. version… I have two Corp. 5C mouthpieces that are in practice identical. I also have a Corp. 5C for flugelhorn, and while of course deeper, the feel is the same on my lips as the trumpet Corp. 5C.

My take is it is important to take into consideration in what era Bach mouthpieces were manufactured, and at least re Corp versions vs current, you can probably know what to expect.

Yes, definitely.

Take care and best wishes

Lou

B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Rhondo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Bach Artisan mouthpieces are different than the ‘cherry’ mouthpiece production that Vincent Bach set aside?

Seems odd.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhondo wrote:
So the Bach Artisan mouthpieces are different than the ‘cherry’ mouthpiece production that Vincent Bach set aside?

Seems odd.

I believe so. I’m not sure about the cup end, but I believe that they may have had 26 throats and symphonic backbones. Please don’t quote me on this, as I’m quite likely getting confused. There have been threads about them on here.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It probably lol says so in here:

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113292
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the first page, it appears that they may just have a different blank. When I’m not reading tiny print on my phone, I’ll have a good read on the thread I linked to.

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: