• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A Recent Experience With Wynton.....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading Manny Laureano’s post “Just Wanted to Share a Moment of Inspiration,”

http://trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=13544&forum=10&5

...it reminded me of my experience with Wynton this past summer at Ravinia. One of my students’ families gave me a ticket.

First of all a little background on my student. Danny is a highly motivated 8th grader who was going through a slight embouchure change – his mouthpiece had been slipping down because of his braces. He was playing “in the red.” The week before the concert, I was teaching Danny and telling him how important it is to fix this. He agreed but was a little reluctant. I told him, “Well if you want a second opinion, we’ll talk to Wynton about it after the concert.” Danny replied, “No way, we won’t get to talk him!” “We’ll see,” I said, knowing that I’ve met him after concerts before. “Bring your mouthpiece,” I told him.

The concert Friday night was fantastic. Wynton was with his combo - a treat, since most of the tunes featured him. Danny’s Mom and sister went home, and since I drove separately, I agreed to bring Danny home. After the show, Danny and I waited around near the stage door. Since we didn’t have a backstage pass, we had to hang out for a while – over an hour. Countless students with passes went backstage to talk to Wynton. It wasn’t looking good – security was being a pain.

Finally Wynton came out, and we approached him in the parking lot. I re-introduced myself, not knowing if he would remember me. I then introduced Danny telling him, “We’re going thru an embouchure change, and although Danny knew he has to do it, I thought it would be a little more convicting to hear it from you.” Wynton replied “Show me what you’re doing.” Danny took his mouthpiece out of his pocket and showed him his old “set up” and his new “set-up.” Wynton then proceeded to give us a mini-lecture on the embouchure, the obiculos-oris, the importance of not playing “in the red” etc. Danny just stood there “wide-eyed.”

“You waited out here over an hour to talk to me about this,” said Wynton. “Yeah,” I replied. Wynton then said, “You’ve got a great teacher- listen to him. Trust me – he’s got much better sh#t to be doing with his time than this.” I thanked Wynton, telling him that when I was Danny’s age it was Wynton’s recordings of the Haydn and Hummel that I listened to and emulated.

Let’s just say Danny was pretty convicted after that.

Wynton Marsalis is a “class act.”

romey
BenDover

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Romey,

Wonderful story, indeed!! A couple of random thoughts...

Quote:

On 2003-10-22 10:08, romey1 wrote:

Finally Wynton came out, and we approached him in the parking lot. I re-introduced myself, not knowing if he would remember me.

You're kidding, right...how could Wynton not remember you?

Quote:

Convicted??? You really must stop hanging with those juvenile felons!

Ben

[ This Message was edited by: Moderators on 2003-11-12 18:21 ]
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great story romey - and, out of interest (I'm currently doing a pretty big embouchure change myself - was playing 'in the red', off to the side, on too small a piece!), what is obiculosoris?
supportlivejazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen him play live in small clubs and large auditoriums and I always feel like he might come out and sit down at my table just to hear the music...I REALLY THINK HE IS ABSOLUTELY GREAT...and I don't care what his critics say. Once I heard him speak about critics with reverance and thank them for giving musicians inspiration to play better and prove them wrong. kpb
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-10-22 15:30, BenDover wrote:
Hi Romey,

Wonderful story, indeed!! A couple of random thoughts...

Quote:

Finally Wynton came out, and we approached him in the parking lot. I re-introduced myself, not knowing if he would remember me.

You're kidding, right...how could Wynton not remember you?

Quote:

Convicted??? You really must stop hanging with those juvenile felons!

Ben

Ben,

Romey1's identity is now common knowledge. He is Jim Rome. Not only has he provided his name, but also pictures of himself.

You, however, continue your assault on others, while hiding your identity.

We don't know who BenDover is............or do we, John?

Ed

[ This Message was edited by: Moderators on 2003-11-12 18:23 ]
BenDover

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You da man, Ed! Funny how romey didn't take issue with my good natured post, but it managed to get your panties in a bunch. By the by, romey has not given us his name and picture...Jim Rome is a sportscaster who no doubt has never even heard of the TrumpetHerald.

Ben
_bugleboy
Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

Romey1's identity is now common knowledge. He is Jim Rome.

But who is Jim Rome? Is he the sportscaster in LA? That seems unlikely.

Not only has he provided his name, but also pictures of himself.

I have never seen those pictures. Where can they be accessed. The only thing I can say that is known about romey is that he seems to use a lot of aliases.

You, however, continue your assault on others, while hiding your identity. We don't know who BenDover is............or do we, John?

BenDover has revealed his ID to many TH'ers. And you seem to know that his name is John. So is Ben really hiding?

Regards,
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to make a positive contribution to the site and what happens? - I get provoked!

Keep fishin' Charly!

romey

[ This Message was edited by: romey1 on 2003-11-12 22:08 ]
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to make a positive contribution to the site and what happens? - I get provoked!

Life is so unfair. But what provocation are you referring to?

Fishing???
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/

2 Words: Steel Cage

romey
_bugleboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good place for you.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romey - nice pic. Always nice to put a face to the people on here.

For those of you who have just taken this thread as a chance to reveal your childish natures - act your age guys!
This was a nice story, why have you taken it upon yourselves to reduce your postings to quite pathetic sniping?

BenDover (oh what an amusing name) - you are a waste of space on this forum - if you can't make positive contributions - please - go elsewhere.

I have a couple of pupils who have a tendency towards playing in the red - always nice to get confirmation from other players and teachers that this is not the way forward.
JackD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Mike, what's wrong with people on here at the moment? Calm down everyone!!
_trumpetgod_02
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

I can't look at Romey's picture and not think "satan". All of the flames and the suit and what not... hmmmmmmmmmm

Nick
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-12 17:21, BenDover wrote:
You da man, Ed! Funny how romey didn't take issue with my good natured post, but it managed to get your panties in a bunch. By the by, romey has not given us his name and picture...Jim Rome is a sportscaster who no doubt has never even heard of the TrumpetHerald.

Ben

John,

Your original post was anything but "good natured." The Moderators have now edited not only your original post, but also my response to it, and even my quote of your original post.

I like most of your posts, John. Of course I am not talking about the posts you make as "BenDover." The posts under your original screen name, to which you attach you full name, are normally very "good natured," informative and valuable. Why not put the BenDover character to rest? I think a lot of people would really respect that. I know I would.

Best wishes, John. I really mean that, too.

Ed
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, thanks for bringing everyone "up to speed." - Welcome to the Jungle!

All of you guys are funny!

You all amuse me!

romey

[ This Message was edited by: romey1 on 2003-11-13 14:36 ]
BenDover

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed,

I must admit that your issue with my BenDover persona has me somewhat puzzled, particularly when there have been numerous anonymous posters who have contributed far more outrageous prose than I ever authored. I guess it's an "eye of the beholder" type of perception. At any rate, per your suggestion, I would like to utilize this opportunity to stand up and formally introduce myself. Hope you understand why I wanted the satisfaction of disclosure. On a happier note, I've booked the Charly Raymond Orchestra for my coming out party, and I just can't wait to cut a rug to "Play That Funky Music"!!

John MacGregor
Waukesha, WI
comebackkid
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-13 14:27, BenDover wrote:
...there have been numerous anonymous posters who have contributed far more outrageous prose than I ever authored.

I agree completely, John! I don’t support their hostile behavior, and I think it is unfortunate that anyone does support it.

Quote:

I must admit that your issue with my BenDover persona has me somewhat puzzled....

Your posts as X3L are often insightful. Your posts as BenDover are often hurtful. I would much rather see the posts that you are proud enough to put your name, John MacGregor, on. I don’t think that should be puzzling to anyone.

Quote:

I would like to utilize this opportunity to stand up and formally introduce myself. Hope you understand why I wanted the satisfaction of disclosure.

Bravo, John. I think that is awesome

Quote:

On a happier note, I've booked the Charly Raymond Orchestra for my coming out party, and I just can't wait to cut a rug to "Play That Funky Music"!!

Excellent! I love that song. I’ll see y’all on the dance floor.

Ed
Buzz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow,

I can't look at Romey's picture and not think "satan". All of the flames and the suit and what not... hmmmmmmmmmm

Nick

OMG, Nick! I was just about to post that. I agree. He looks like Beelzebub himself.
Meg
romey1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Rome is Burning."

Check it out Tuesday Nights on ESPN.

romey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: