• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Darkest cornet with a shallow mouthpiece?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrBones

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Louise Finch"

"I haven't listened to Warren Vache"

Lou[/quote]

Big mistake! Warren is one of the most exciting and creative high brass players working these days. Everything he plays inspires me to practice more. His improvisations are very intelligent.
GordonH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBones wrote:
[quote="Louise Finch"

Lou

Big mistake! Warren is one of the most exciting and creative high brass players working these days. Everything he plays inspires me to practice more. His improvisations are very intelligent.[/quote]

I am seeing him play next weekend in Edinburgh!
Cornet - Geneva Heritage, Conn 28A
Mouthpieces - Monette 1-5 rims and similar.

Licensed Radio Amateur - GM4SVM
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren is a 'jazz chameleon' one of the best ever - period.

I agree about that clip. With the first mouthpiece Trent doesn't get what I would consider an exceptionally 'dark' sound. Just a beautiful jazz sound. Trent's clips have been invaluable to me in deciding about buying different trumpets over the last several years. Just read my most recent review on the Austin Custom Brass site about my Manchester pocket!

Although I sold a cornet to Mike Sailors a couple of years ago or so, I never checked out his playing. I grew up with traditional jazz and all those cats, Louie, Roy, Bix, Bunny, Bobby, Jumbo, Wild Bill, Warren, etc..as my dad collected records since before I was born - so I've been listening since the womb;-) To hear it played so well by someone with such very solid chops is such a treat - so, now, Sailors has a new fan! As far as the Besson 2-20 goes - I got such a great deal used ($200!) online, that I can't go wrong. Whether it's dark enough for me or not, we will see - but I know I will have a solid axe - even if just to put in my trunk as an emergency backup.

And, great news, that cat on the TH marketplace got back to me and offered me a deal I couldn't refuse on the Stomvi master Titanium cornet - so, in the next coming weeks I will be posting my experiences. Thanks to everyone for all the input! All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments, cats. It means a lot.

This is a good discussion. To me, dark is just the absence of brilliance in the tone. The sound I naturally get is pretty strident (if you've ever heard me play the big horn, you could certainly attest). That's why I prefer the cornet. I can play the equipment I like to play, which is fairly small compared to what most people play, but I can still get a round sound.

I've never felt comfortable on anything smaller than a 5c. I have big lips too. This has never made sense to me, but it is what it is.

Truth be told, I only play my big horn when I'm playing lead or in the section. There's just something different about the blow and the "feel" of a cornet that lends itself better to the way I like to play.
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GordonH wrote:
The traditional (i.e. pre 1970's) sound of brass band cornets is something I have tried to analyse from listening to recordings and playing on old instruments and mouthpieces. What it seems to be is a level of resistance which prevents all of the air getting straight into the tubing immediately, leading to additional compression. On very old cornets this is caused by the tuning extension piece which creates a lump in the pipe. In newer instruments this comes down to the mouthpiece. Funnel shaped mouthpieces tend to sound flugely. Ones with an S shaped profile and a bit more room at the bottom of the cup have that distinctive sound. Ishuld do some recordings to demonstrate this on vintage and modern instruments.

Hi GordonH

Although not my thread, I guess that you were responding to my post above. Thanks very much for sharing your opinion on how instrument/mouthpiece affects a brass band cornet tone. If you wouldn't mind posting some recordings, that would be great. However, although it is obviously none of my business where posters post, this thread obviously isn't about brass band cornet sounds, but a dark cornet sound with a shallower cup, so maybe we should start another thread about the change in brass band cornet sounds over time. I apologise to the OP for any tangent which I have taken this thread off in, although it appears to now be back on track.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrBones wrote:
[quote="Louise Finch"

Lou

Big mistake! Warren is one of the most exciting and creative high brass players working these days. Everything he plays inspires me to practice more. His improvisations are very intelligent.[/quote]

Hi

I'll have to check him out, thanks.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Conn 12a cornet Reply with quote

Hi folks. I just wanted to contribute to this discussion a bit of info about the Conn 12a that I have. It is certainly a cornet that belongs on the "dark even with a shallower mouthpiece" list.

I did my best to record a demo using a Bach 3C (shallowest cornet mouthpiece I have), a vintage Conn 4 short shank (about as deep as a Bach 3C cup but kinda V shaped), and a Curry 3TC mouthpiece (deeper, for comparison).

But this was a recorded on an iPhone 6, so it doesn't really do it justice. Nevertheless, I hope this is beneficial to someone...

Link
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the nice clip ja:-) Yeah, when I do the obvious 'eyes closed test' I would say I would probably call 'cornet' and not 'trumpet' when hearing it - but that may be due partially to the old style Bixie lick you're playing which I usually associate with the cornet. Appreciate the helpful clip..thanks! Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject: Lawler and Conn 12a Reply with quote

I failed to include my Lawler cornet in the video I posted yesterday, so I made another video. This time I play three different horns, all with the Bach 3c.

You can hear the differences in the tone quality, but again the iPhone recording does not do it justice. The differences are greater in person. But I hope this contributes to the discussion anyway.

Link

Last edited by jadickson on Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:03 am; edited 2 times in total
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, nice ja - playing the trumpet as a comparison really puts things in perspective. As I expected, imo, the Lawler has the darkest and most complex sound.. thanks for posting! Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got both the 2-20 and the Stomvi! Haven't had too much time to work with them yet. The Besson is a wonderful instrument definitely on the darker side of the spectrum for me and an amazing value as these seem to all be under $400-$500 dollars.

The Stomvi is a different animal entirely. I feel it is the nicest instrument I've ever owned - whether trumpet, cornet, or flugel. It blows exceptionally dark and really does do what I was hoping with my shallow Groovin High MF mouthpiece partially screwed into a cornet backbore. Even when I screw it all the way in, it remains fairly dark - at least considering what I am using. So I can corroborate the opinion of some others who have wrote about this specific cornet. It does seem to be a 'step above' all the other top cornets out there. So this will definitely be my main jazz axe.

I'm out of town most of this week, but will try to post a clip next week illustrating these horns. All the very best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lex

Congratulations on your new horns.

I'm very glad to hear that this has worked out well for you.

Take Care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey cats - Lex here. I haven't forgotten about putting a clip up. I'm back in town more and one of my jazz camps are ending next week so will probably put a clip up of my morning meditation where I just play free for an hour while meditating and will switch back from the Besson 2-20 to the Stomvi. I should have my new Roger Ingram Vintage MF piece by the time I do it - I ordered a 24 cornet backbore with that set up as I got a custom 2 piece design with the Ingram MF so I can do my 'jazz trick' unscrewing the backbore. I can tell you the Stomvi is a phenomenon with how dark I can get on the shallow pieces.. The Besson 2-20 is an amazing instrument for the price, but nothing comes close to the Stomvi - and that's from any instrument I've owned. Heading out to a recording session with it in about an hour. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know cats - just stopped home here and doing some practicing and trying to record but getting a lag - let's see if any of this comes over. This is the Stomvi Master Ti with a shallow Candoli top partially screwed into an ACB cornet backbore. Not sure how the sound quality is as I got fans and AC blowing on me - hey I got a gig later and don't want to sweat!

Link

Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot

Link

Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh c'mon!

https://youtu.be/4LLeIqJhbqQ[/code]
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why I can't get it to embed..sorry cats... seems to work if I click on the link. best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ACk - it's all cut-up.. like breaks in the recording.. didn't record it like that.. maybe if I close other programs.. am on an iMac with photo booth.. Will try to do something better...
Www.LexSamu.com
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter the URL with the youtube tags but take the s out of https.

Link
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANKS MAN! Let me try w the Besson 2-20. Haven't been playing this one much and tweaking w the backbore.. just popped a 12* in there - partially unscrewed of course.

Link

Www.LexSamu.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: