• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Claude Gordon Personal CGP for cornet??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have any of you cornet players tried the CGP with your cornet??

I use the trumpet CGP with great success on my WT trumpets. Very dark, rich, smooth.

I have one that I sometimes use on my flugel... it is very smooth but not sure it helps me get the darkest sound that I want out of the flugel.

I don't have a cornet yet but I'm looking and will probably get one in the near future. So I'm just curious how the CGP cornet mpc might work.

I have never heard anyone mention it... and seems that most use the Wick or Sparx mouthpieces.

thanks
vic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like sound I get with the CGP on my Ambassador cornet. The tone is beautiful, but as a non-shepherd's crook, it is not too mellow. If I need the softer sound of a flugel [which I don't own], I go with the Wick 2.
I liked the mpc in general so much that I went to the CGP on the trumpet as well. TPIN had a thread last year in which I saved a comment by Eddie Severn. I hope he won't mind, but here it is:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Subject: Re: [TPIN] Cornet Mouthpiece Recommendations Sought
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 12:19:58 +0100

The "Claude Gordon" model made by Kanstul is a very old fashioned and
traditional design i.e. deep V shaped cup and open throat. That's what I
would use if I ever had to start playing Cornet regularly.
E S
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[I checked and could not find this thread in the archives.]
Even thought there are not other replies here, I think this mpc is used frequently, because I got some response during the discussion back in December and January. Happy hunting for the cornet! Let us know what you get.
Vic
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Vic... well, as I said, I really dig the CGP on my Wild Thing... and it may be one I will try for cornet eventually. So in comparing the CGP and the Wick 2 on your cornet... your saying the Wick is more mellow? Did I read your statement correctly??

rich
_gmdean
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on th cornet piece but I do have the trumpet model. It's a piece I aspire to play on and about the most comfortable mp I have ever played, it does have a lovely rich/dark sound. Problem for me, as a returning player is that it's just too deep and my limited range is even more limited. Hopeing all the chops building exercises my teacher has me doing will pay off and l'll get to be able to play it outside in the real world.
Mark
rich
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the trumpet CGP is more difficult in the high range... although I find I can play just as high as with other mpcs but it just takes more effort and support.

rich
vic
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich-the Wick 2 is more mellow than the C.G. Personal for sure. Wick makes a cup so deep you can lose one of your lips in it.

A sure-fire way to observe the effect of this Wick and any other mpc I have tried is to buzz on it. The sound is drastically different on the Wick, such that you immediately see why the tone out of the instrument is so much softer. The Wick buzz tone is very diffuse, I think you can say. My terms may not be the best, but I don't hear the typical buzzing vibration or percussive feel, because it sounds dampened or muffled. Out comes a nice mellow result when it's placed on the cornet.
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all - this is my first post on TH!
I have just switched to CGP for trumpet after investigating Mr. Gordon on the net. I am a pro player in So CA and for my first few gigs I was falling into this thing! However, I also started working with the Systematic Approach and after 6 weeks am able to use my range to dbl G with way more power than Schilke 14A4 or 14B4e I was using. I can also shade the sound either dark or brite as needed. I think the key to using this mpc is developing the blow and focusing the embouchure as outlined in Gordon's SA and Trumpet Playing is no Harder than Deep Breathing. Believe me, I have always been a big blowhard but these books have helped me tremendously.

I use a Warburton 3FL on my Eterna 4V for a very mellow tone. I haven't seen the CGP cup for flugel and would be interested in how it compares. On my '57 Olds Amb cornet I use a Schilke 15C4 - thinking about the CGP . . .

Nathan Mills
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: