• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A BETTER 3C?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: A BETTER 3C? Reply with quote

So the horn safari is over (for now) and I've gone through a bunch. Bach Strad,6310Z,Olds Recording, Lawler C7, Callet Sima, Yamaha NY, Martin Committee, Wild Thing, Benge 3X, Schilke Handcraft, Getzen Severinsen, Bach 43, Edwards, Schilke S32HD. I've finally settled on a Yamaha LA, and a Yamaha Chicago.

I believe every horn has a special relationship with it's mouthpiece, so the mouthpiece safari began shortly after I acquired the new horns. I thought I would present my impressions on a couple of pieces that maybe haven't seen a lot of press here on TH.
I was a Bach 1 1/2C guy through my high school and army playing days, and played mostly a Shew Jazz through my comeback years. Lately there are a ton of 3C clones on the market (like the Shew Jazz) and I wanted to share some of my impressions on some pieces that I've discovered.

Schilke 14C2-Phil at Schilke described this as the "Vacchiano" model when I visited the shop. This thing is HUGE. But a really great sound for jazz. You'd have to be a beast to play all night on this deep cup and sharp bite, but for a solo or two it's the best I've discovered.

Wick American Classic 3C-This was my go to piece the last couple of years before I discovered my favorites further down this list. Comfortable rim, a nice dark sound with soft attacks, probably also an excellent choice for small group work that won't break the bank.

Wick Ultra 3C-Many of us probably settle on pieces that are readily available in our area. With a Wick dealer close to home, I've explored most of their line up. This piece is similar to the American Classic but with more brilliance and sharper attacks. Very firm slotting as well. Great for legit.

Bach Artisan 3C-One of my two favorites. Pricey. Combined with my Yammie LA it makes a great commercial piece. Shallower than a standard Bach 3C it helps in the upper register, yet still has a beautiful dark singing tone down low. A very comfortable rounded rim, though a bit out of the ordinary.

Austin Custom Brass MV3C-My other favorite. Bought this when visiting Trent this past summer. Didn't have the opportunity to play it much while there as my wife and friends were with me. Felt obligated to purchase "something" while there as Trent was so gracious in showing me around and telling stories. But I'm really happy I pulled the trigger as the honeymoon won't end any time soon. Just a great all around piece. Dark when soft, brilliant when pushed, comfortable, precise. I'm using it with my Yammie Chicago on legit stuff. Maybe a tad too big to help upstairs for me though.

Perhaps you guys could chime in with other 3C's you've discovered lately. Thanks much.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played on an older Bach 3C for many years, but never really liked my tone on it. About 3 years ago I bought a Curry 3C. and it was instantly better. I actually used it on a gig the day I received it in the mail. Nice rich sound, very comfortable rim, great intonation, and easy to play throughout my range. It works well on just about any trumpet I own, including the higher-pitched ones like C and Eb/D.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few in the neighbourhood.

Corp(little dot) 3C trumpet piece, Corp (no dot) Cornet piece. These are good, but not magical (for me) - the trumpet piece is noticeably deeper, but still not a deep piece.

Curry 3C and 3B (modular parts) - of the two I prefer the 3B - these are really good pieces... I would still include the 3B in this list for two reasons - firstly, it's described (justly, I feel) as a "deeper" version of the C cup; secondly...
Warburton "Arturo" (copy of Arturo's Mt.V 3c) looks, feels and plays much more like the 3B Curry than the 3C Curry. The rim is a touch narrower and not quite as flat as the Curry, one of the most comfortable rims I've ever encountered - really, really good piece.
Fluegel-Boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 on the Curry 3C

Also love Trent's MV3C!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second best 3C I've ever played is the Curry 3C. mouthpiece.

The best 3C I've ever played (and it's the one I've been playing for several years now) is the copy of Arturo Sandoval's favorite Mt Vernon 3C (the one he performs and practices on) that Jim New made me when he was still with Kanstul.

I am still kicking myself for not having Jim make me a second one as a backup while he still could.

Not incidentally, the Curry 3C. measures very closely to the Arturo Mt Vernon 3C - it's just a tad shallower than Arturo's mouthpiece.

(Click on the image to open it up full-size in a separate window).

Note that the outer rim diameter only looks bigger on the Arturo piece because of the more rounded outside edge of the Mt Vernon mouthpiece blank. Where the lips actually touch and feel the rims, they're about the same diameter. If anything, the Curry piece might feel like it's outside rim diameter is larger due to the fact that its outer rim contour doesn't start dropping down as soon.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Curry pieces:
Code:
3C.              95% of my playing
3*               aka 3Star, for demanding big band or musicals
3C.-24/24    24 throat/24 backbore, for C trumpet and Eb/D
3M              rarely used, does't work as well as the 3* for me
3TF             For times when I'm not willing to bring the flugel along
3BC            rarely used now that I have the 3C-24/24
3B              rarely used.
3BBC          Cornet preferred piece.
3FLD           Flugel
3P               picc

The beauty is they all feel almost identical on the chops thanks to the common 3 rim.

The only exception is a Flip Oakes XO "spinning vortex of death" flugel piece I sometimes use when I want a really distinct flugel sound, also made by Mark Curry.

I got nervous when Mark's equipment went down a while back about not being able to get a replacement if needed, so I now have three copies of the 3C., two in his standard blank, and one in his Bach blank. One of the standard ones is still in the original plastic bag, 'just in case'.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
...Curry 3C and 3B (modular parts) - of the two I prefer the 3B - these are really good pieces... I would still include the 3B in this list for two reasons - firstly, it's described (justly, I feel) as a "deeper" version of the C cup;...

Yes, the first Curry trumpet mouthpiece I ever bought (I already had a Curry 3BBC. cornet mouthpiece) was a 3B., because I wanted a deeper Bach 3C, not a totally different mouthpiece like the Bach 3B is. The Curry 3B. was so good, I gave his 3C. a try and it's become my main do-everything trumpet mouthpiece.
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few that are not labeled as 3C, but to me feel in that range:
Laskey 70MC
Hammond 5ML
Monette B6

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
telebuck

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on a bit of a 3C safari over the past year, including a modern Bach 3C, Shew Jazz, Artisan 3C, the Curry 3C. pieces. I also experimented with some that are advertised as being similar to the 3C with a bit of help for big band/commerical appications (Reeves 42/M, GR 66M).

All are nice pieces, but so far, the Curry 3C. is the hands down winner for me. Use it with a Bach Artisan Bb and Yamaha 8310z Bb.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add the Warburton 4MD or 3MD to the list. The cup shape lines up almost perfectly with the Curry 3C, but of course the rim contour is a little different.

The 4MD inner diameter feels on the small side of 3C, and 3MD feels on the larger side of 3C.

And now that you can get a Curry #10 backbore through Mouthpiece Express, you can get a more Bach-like sound from the Warburton top. This is what I am trying right now. So far so good.

I hope this is helpful.
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purviance 9A is one of the easiest 3C i ever play , the sound quality is superb maby the most desireble bbore in the market and the rim simply the best out there , give a try it worth every penny.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giakara wrote:
Purviance 9A is one of the easiest 3C i ever play , the sound quality is superb maby the most desireble bbore in the market and the rim simply the best out there , give a try it worth every penny.

Regards

How would you compare cups size/shape/depth of the Purviance 9A (also known as the 5*3) to the Reeves 43C? Are the rims identical? And how does the Purviance 9 (aka 4*3) compare to the Reeves mouthpieces?
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention two very nice 3c's.
Greg Black 3C
Reeves Classical 3C

Also the Warburton 4 series was mentioned. However, I feel the 4M or 4MC to be closest to a 3C.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Yamahaguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried the Greg Black 3C, but I used to own
a 3M which was VERY nice.
Also used to play a Laskey 65MC for years which
is a copy of a Mt. Vernon
cbclead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Reeves Classical Series 3C. It's a very comfortable mouthpiece that responds well in all registers.
Kanstul 920 Bb/A Piccolo Trumpet
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: A BETTER 3C? Reply with quote

onlyson wrote:
I've finally settled on a Yamaha LA, and a Yamaha Chicago.
Nice choice on the Chicago!

onlyson wrote:

Schilke 14C2

I started on that as a beginner. Was performing A above high C on it (into an Olds Recording cornet) in my 3rd year.

onlyson wrote:

Perhaps you guys could chime in with other 3C's you've discovered lately. Thanks much.

Stomvi's are well worth checking out.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamahaguy wrote:
Never tried the Greg Black 3C, but I used to own
a 3M which was VERY nice.

Greg's M cup is GREAT upstairs. His C cup is also great, but miles apart from his M cup. Deeper than a Bach 3C for sure.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

How would you compare cups size/shape/depth of the Purviance 9A (also known as the 5*3) to the Reeves 43C? Are the rims identical? And how does the Purviance 9 (aka 4*3) compare to the Reeves mouthpieces?

FWIW, those are the 2 mpcs Bill Adam played. Man did he sound great on them!!
B. Scriver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote from a customer:
"The forneroMX (2281), Should be your suggestion for the "holy grail" 3C players out there. It's cup rim and feel/ sound replaced my late 80's 3c that I have made my career on".

S. Craig Taylor

Fornero Series: http://grmouthpieces.com/dan-fornero.html
Fornero Website: http://www.danfornero.com/mouthpieces.html

Don't take my word for it, ask Dan.

Brian Scriver
www.grmouthpieces.com
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:

The best 3C I've ever played (and it's the one I've been playing for several years now) is the copy of Arturo Sandoval's favorite Mt Vernon 3C (the one he performs and practices on)

One of the best to ever grace the instrument!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1r4fpTDIkQ (For the uninitiated, skip to 10:00 for "the good stuff")

Respect. Sound. Reverence. - Straight from Uan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: