• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A BETTER 3C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
giakara wrote:
Purviance 9A is one of the easiest 3C i ever play , the sound quality is superb maby the most desireble bbore in the market and the rim simply the best out there , give a try it worth every penny.

Regards

How would you compare cups size/shape/depth of the Purviance 9A (also known as the 5*3) to the Reeves 43C? Are the rims identical? And how does the Purviance 9 (aka 4*3) compare to the Reeves mouthpieces?

I belibe the 9A cup is very close to the 43C cup the rim looks almost the same ( never had problem to adjust when i change this pieces), both of them to me feels a hair swalower against the Bach 3C , as i now the 5*3 was made to helps symphony players cover studio orchestra gigs.
As for the 9 for me the cup is like the 43S but a hair deeper , but the P9 has 27 bore and the 9A 25 bore .
The bbore is something betwin Reeves #2 and #69 .
John Snell maby can help us with more infos.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another vote for Curry 3C.

3C - most of my work (solo work, quintet & band) - Bb and C trumpet
3* (star) - big band and musicals
3DE - picc.
3P - Eb Cornet
3DC. - Bb Cornet
3FL - Flugel
Retired Air Force Bandsman
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Curry 3C with a 24 throat for Classical work.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
atrumpeter
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for the Warburton 4 series! Love the feel of their rims for me better than the Curry.

I switch between the 4M, 4MC (described on Warburton site as close to the Mt. Vernon 3C) and the 4MD, which I would agree with Mr. Bolvin is a little deeper than the standard Bach 3C. Good suggestion on the Curry #10, I might have to try that as I use the Warburton 7 and the NY & Q backbores!!

With all this talk of the 3C. I might have to try one again--I remember liking it overall but felt it got too bright for me.

Mostly musicals and church gigs with the occasional jazz jam
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the Purviance 9A is on the larger side of 3C diameters, and about average depth. I've found that the Purviance 8A and straight 8 work better for me. The 8 is closer to a Bach 3D, and the 8A is a slightly shallower and more efficient 3C. Both the 8 and 8A have more forgiving, comfortable rims than any Bach 3 range mouthpiece I've tried.

Jim, as far as comparing Purviance to Reeves, the Purviance 8 and Reeves 42S are very, VERY similar. I'd go so far to say that Bob used the Purviance 8 as a basis for his 42S. Purviance 8A is like a Reeves 42M, but they aren't as close as the Purviance 8 and Reeves 42S.

I'd say a Purviance 9A is like a Reeves 43M.
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Albuquerque Duke
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by Albuquerque Duke on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a comeback player, who found his late '70's Bach 3C just wasn't comfortable anymore, and took more effort than I wanted to put into it, I also went through a safari and settled on the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz. It is just a hair brighter than my 3C. It is essentially in all aspects half way between a 3C and a 3D, and I have enjoyed it much more. I feel I have better breath control, which translates to better playing all around: tone, intonation, phrasing, etc.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumanjazzguy wrote:
I'd say the Purviance 9A is on the larger side of 3C diameters, and about average depth. I've found that the Purviance 8A and straight 8 work better for me. The 8 is closer to a Bach 3D, and the 8A is a slightly shallower and more efficient 3C. Both the 8 and 8A have more forgiving, comfortable rims than any Bach 3 range mouthpiece I've tried.

Jim, as far as comparing Purviance to Reeves, the Purviance 8 and Reeves 42S are very, VERY similar. I'd go so far to say that Bob used the Purviance 8 as a basis for his 42S. Purviance 8A is like a Reeves 42M, but they aren't as close as the Purviance 8 and Reeves 42S.

I'd say a Purviance 9A is like a Reeves 43M.

Bob did use the 8 (original name: 4*K4) as the basis for the 42S. And the 9 (4*3) rim is the basis for the 43 rim. But note that the actual cup diameter of the 4*K4/8/42 type rims (in terms of the inner rim diameter) is about that of a Bach 10-1/2C and the actual cup diameter of the 4*3/9/43 type rims (in terms of inner rim diameter) is slightly smaller than a typical modern 3C.

Here's a scan comparing a 42S to a 10-1/2C; you can click on the image to open it full-size in a separate window; note the inner rim (cup) diameters:

Bach 10-1/2C (red) vs. Reeves 42S (green)

And here's a scan comparing a Bach 3C to a Reeves 43ES; again, note the inner rim (cup) diameters:

Bach 3 C (red) vs Reeves 43 ES (green)
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiofiiipopes wrote:
As a comeback player, who found his late '70's Bach 3C just wasn't comfortable anymore, and took more effort than I wanted to put into it, I also went through a safari and settled on the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz. It is just a hair brighter than my 3C. It is essentially in all aspects half way between a 3C and a 3D, and I have enjoyed it much more. I feel I have better breath control, which translates to better playing all around: tone, intonation, phrasing, etc.

I've read a lot of posts that speak highly of the Shew Jazz piece, and one day I might spring for one myself. Given that other than a very slight difference in the outer rim contour, the Shew Jazz cup is identical to a modern 3C cup, I think the difference in how they sound, play and/or feel must be due to differences in their backbores.

Bach 3C (red) vs Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz green)

Samson is saying we spend too much time fretting about mouthpieces...
Blueblue
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow John your the best,

It is realy confusing to see this...as I was convinced the 43 rim was much bigger than the 3C Bach, whats wrong with me
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueblue wrote:
Wow John your the best,

It is realy confusing to see this...as I was convinced the 43 rim was much bigger than the 3C Bach, whats wrong with me

Don't forget that the Bach 3C has evolved. I favor a vintage of Bach 3C that is on the small side (close to a Yamaha 14) and most other vintages feel bigger (more like a Yamaha 15 or 16). To my lips the Reeves 43 feels like the larger of these.

And yes, John is the best.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont make the mistake to compare Reeves pieces in that way , the 43 is not comparable with no rim or size with any brand (i have try EVERTHING) accept Purviance 9 size pieces , just my expiriance sorry but my poor English not helps me to say more things.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
aftpt1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have recently started using the Stomvi Flex line of mouthpieces, and am having great success with them! I play the 3C with the 5 series backbore for most of my work, then the 3D or 3G for big band, depending on what part I'm playing. My Flex 3CVR is possibly the best mouthpiece I've ever used, incredibly resonant, consistent and in tune from low to high and it really and truly lives up to the Stomvi USA statement that their gear is easier to play, if you just relax and play, you really don't have to work as hard. The flex line truly is fantastic, and I highly recommend them to anyone who is looking for a better mouthpiece!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueblue wrote:
Wow John your the best,

cheiden wrote:
And yes, John is the best.

Yes, I'm a legend in my own mind!

Seriously, thank you for the kind words!

giakara wrote:
Dont make the mistake to compare Reeves pieces in that way , the 43 is not comparable with no rim or size with any brand (i have try EVERTHING) accept Purviance 9 size pieces , just my expiriance sorry but my poor English not helps me to say more things.

Regards

Yes, this is very true and I probably should have pointed that out. In terms of "feel" on the face, the 43 rim doesn't feel like a typical Elkhart 3C rim to me at all. It does feel similar, but not the same as, my Mt Vernon 3C (though it is closer to the Elkhart 3C in terms of actual cup diameter). I think the reason for the similarity of feel is that like the Mt Vernon 3C, the high point of the rim on a Reeves 43 rim is more toward the middle of the rim where as with an Elkhart 3C the high point of the rim is a bit more toward the inner part of the rim.

Best wishes,

John
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might also check out Yamaha 14C4. Although Yamaha uses Schilke's numbering system, they are NOT Schilke copies.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Blueblue
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aftpt1 wrote:
I have recently started using the Stomvi Flex line of mouthpieces, and am having great success with them! I play the 3C with the 5 series backbore for most of my work, then the 3D or 3G for big band, depending on what part I'm playing. My Flex 3CVR is possibly the best mouthpiece I've ever used, incredibly resonant, consistent and in tune from low to high and it really and truly lives up to the Stomvi USA statement that their gear is easier to play, if you just relax and play, you really don't have to work as hard. The flex line truly is fantastic, and I highly recommend them to anyone who is looking for a better mouthpiece!

Go away 7 treads poster Your a sneacky Stomvi advertiser, we like to have a clean forum.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
iiofiiipopes wrote:

I've read a lot of posts that speak highly of the Shew Jazz piece, and one day I might spring for one myself. Given that other than a very slight difference in the outer rim contour, the Shew Jazz cup is identical to a modern 3C cup, I think the difference in how they sound, play and/or feel must be due to differences in their backbores.

Bach 3C (red) vs Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz green)

Samson is saying we spend too much time fretting about mouthpieces...

The traces of the cups may or may not be the same or accurate. And Bach are notorious for lack of consistency. It may be more due to the backbore. However it is, the Shew does feel a little shallower and brighter in the cup. Here's the thing about the traces: since Kanstul show them essentially the same, even though the actual size of 3C's has varied over the years, I balked and held off purchasing a Shew Jazz for a long time thinking I would not gain anything from my 3C. But since the throat and backbore have just as much influence on how the mouthpiece feels as well as sounds, I finally did get one, and I'm glad I did. Again, I'm not trying to get he entire world to play a Shew Jazz; rather, I'm trying to get people to actually try the mouthpieces they are considering, because specs, numbers and traces do not tell the entire story.
gbshelbymi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fan of the ACB MV3C here. Tried the Curry for a bit, as well as the Warburton 4 series, but the ACB feels and works best for me.
Blueblue
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Bobby Shew Jazz Reply with quote

Reading this tread, and others, I decide to get the high rated Bobby Shew Jazz, yesterday it arrived.

After about 10 minutes playing I thought, bummer, not that special..next..

When I played a Reeves 43C recently my first reaction was the opposite WOW, but it is very expensive so I decide to waith.

This morning I gave the Shew another try and I noticed I could get fluent jazzy gliding notes with it.
And it is easy to get upstairs, in fact I had to becarefull not to get to high notes to easy.

Whish I could compare it with the Reeves 43C

mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject: blueblue Reply with quote

Blueblue

There isn't anything wrong with you. A Reeves 43 rim has a larger ID than almost any Bach 3c.

You "felt" correctly.

Have a great day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: