• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A BETTER 3C?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all y'all, I've tried many. For some reason, my Blackburn Sonare 3C is best for me. Feels better in my range than all the others, although ACB 3C is very close.
PieterS

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, the Shew Jazz and Reeves 43C are comparable in blow and sound. The rims are different, the Reeves is flatter, wider and indeed has a little bigger id. I like the Reeves better, it projects more and overall it is a fantastic mouthpiece. Not sure if it is a better 3c.
trumanjazzguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
trumanjazzguy wrote:
I'd say the Purviance 9A is on the larger side of 3C diameters, and about average depth. I've found that the Purviance 8A and straight 8 work better for me. The 8 is closer to a Bach 3D, and the 8A is a slightly shallower and more efficient 3C. Both the 8 and 8A have more forgiving, comfortable rims than any Bach 3 range mouthpiece I've tried.

Jim, as far as comparing Purviance to Reeves, the Purviance 8 and Reeves 42S are very, VERY similar. I'd go so far to say that Bob used the Purviance 8 as a basis for his 42S. Purviance 8A is like a Reeves 42M, but they aren't as close as the Purviance 8 and Reeves 42S.

I'd say a Purviance 9A is like a Reeves 43M.

Bob did use the 8 (original name: 4*K4) as the basis for the 42S. And the 9 (4*3) rim is the basis for the 43 rim. But note that the actual cup diameter of the 4*K4/8/42 type rims (in terms of the inner rim diameter) is about that of a Bach 10-1/2C and the actual cup diameter of the 4*3/9/43 type rims (in terms of inner rim diameter) is slightly smaller than a typical modern 3C.

Here's a scan comparing a 42S to a 10-1/2C; you can click on the image to open it full-size in a separate window; note the inner rim (cup) diameters:

Bach 10-1/2C (red) vs. Reeves 42S (green)

And here's a scan comparing a Bach 3C to a Reeves 43ES; again, note the inner rim (cup) diameters:

Bach 3 C (red) vs Reeves 43 ES (green)

I've played 10.5 Bach mouthpieces of the 80's Large letter vintage, the New York vintage, and the Corp and Corp. vintage. When I thought that diameter size was for me, I even amassed a collection of vintage Holton heavyweight and lightweight skeletonized pieces from the 50's-60's, all firmly in the 10.5 diameter category. I have a lot of experience with this diameter.

I've never played a 10.5 piece that felt the same, or even LOOKED(with the naked eye) the same diameter-wise as my Purviance 8, or a Reeves 42 rim. Every 10.5 I've ever played has been at least one or more "sizes" smaller than My Purviance 8. I think we can chalk that up to Bach's huge inconsistencies. The 10.5 New York was WAY smaller, too small an ID for my lips. The Kanstul comparator people had a really large 10.5 C on hand I think. I don't agree at all with the scan of the 42 rim being the same size as an AVERAGE 10.5 rim.

I moved from the 10.5 diameter and on to my Purviance 8, and noticed marked improvement. The Purviance 8 is discernibly larger, larger looking and feeling, and fit my face better then any of the many 10.5 pieces I had been swearing by. Also, the cup shape and backbore were MUCH more efficient and easier to play from top to bottom.

The only thing that may be throwing me is the possibility that MY particular P.8 is on the LARGE side of the possible spectrum. MY Purviance 8 feels exactly like the diameter of a 2008 era gold 3C I played on for three years in college. I therefore am looking high and low for other copies of P.8's to compare mine to. If ANYONE who's reading this has a Purviance 8, I'll buy it from you. I also would like a couple more, because this mouthpiece seems to be just perfect for my needs, and copies would be nice...lol
‘Pieces:
TPT: 34-throat shallow double-cup, Chet Baker’s Custom Schilke, Bach Corp 3, Bach Mt. Vernon 6C, Ken Titmus BF Custom(s).
CRN: NY Giardinelli 7SV.
FL: Yamaha Bobby Shew
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blueblue wrote:
Wow John your the best,

It is realy confusing to see this...as I was convinced the 43 rim was much bigger than the 3C Bach, whats wrong with me

"90% of it is half mental." Yogi Berra
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this thread the other day, and because of that, I decided to take the plunge and try the Curry 3C due to all of the positive reviews on it in this thread. There were other mouthpieces that I might have tried but the Curry 3C. was easy to get, and relatively inexpensive where mouthpieces are concerned - I got mine through mouthpiece express.

All I can give are first impressions, because today was the first time I had the opportunity to give it a try with the Christmas holidays and all, but I came away feeling pretty good about it.

First off, it FEELS good. The size, the rim contour - pretty much everything. It feels smaller than my Jupiter 3C, but it doesn't play smaller. The sound to my ears is on the dark side, and smooth. I think I'm going to like this mouthpiece.

I've been on the hunt for a good legit mouthpiece for a while. I tried a Warburton 4MDW cup as a counterpart to my 4SVW cup that I use as a lead setup, but that didn't really get me where I wanted to go.

Let's hope that this isn't just a short-lived honeymoon phase.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As this thread is resurrected, Jim New's Arturo clones (and scaled versions) deserve to sit here for posterities sake.

The S4 (one size down from the Arturo size S5 is like a smallish 3c, the MS cup like a slightly shallower and slightly tighter 3c cup.
Should get my set (S4 delrin screwrim and S, MS, M and D cups) quite soon to be able to speak for the M cup (though I'm sure Mr Mohan will do so anyway if he sees the thread), but the S4MS is a killer piece, there's a very good chance that the M and Ms would be a 3C players perfect pair.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKSop wrote:
As this thread is resurrected, Jim New's Arturo clones (and scaled versions) deserve to sit here for posterities sake.

The S4 (one size down from the Arturo size S5 is like a smallish 3c, the MS cup like a slightly shallower and slightly tighter 3c cup.
Should get my set (S4 delrin screwrim and S, MS, M and D cups) quite soon to be able to speak for the M cup (though I'm sure Mr Mohan will do so anyway if he sees the thread), but the S4MS is a killer piece, there's a very good chance that the M and Ms would be a 3C players perfect pair.

Yes!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: blueblue Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:
Blueblue

There isn't anything wrong with you. A Reeves 43 rim has a larger ID than almost any Bach 3c.

You "felt" correctly.

Have a great day.

Hi John,

I think the 43 rim can feel bigger than a typical 3C rim because the high point on the 43 rim is not as far inward on the rim. But I've compared my 43 mouthpieces to many 3C (Bach and other versions) and never found a 3C with a truly smaller inner diameter than a 43 rim. In fact, when Bob Reeves matched a 43 rim to a modern Bach 3C he had cut into an underpart for me, he had to take metal off his 43 rim to blend it to match the (larger) diameter of the Bach 3C underpart. If I take apart that custom setup he made me and screw the reworked "43" rim onto any of my standard Reeves 43 underparts, they don't match up because the reworked rim is larger in diameter where it meets the standard Reeves underparts.

Best wishes,

John
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what I'd do without my trusty Curry 3C! I personally think it plays much better in a Bach-style blank than the normal Curry blank (which is a bit heavier).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I don't know what I'd do without my trusty Curry 3C! I personally think it plays much better in a Bach-style blank than the normal Curry blank (which is a bit heavier).

I agree! When I've played Curry pieces, I've always liked them better with the (slightly lighter) Bach style blank. Maybe it's just in my mind...
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
Turkle wrote:

I agree! When I've played Curry pieces, I've always liked them better with the (slightly lighter) Bach style blank. Maybe it's just in my mind...

I never even considered that - I just bought the stock 3C. on the standard Curry blank. So far, so good - I'm not disappointed with it. I'm going to need some time to adapt to it, but I'll have a bit of time after my NYE gig - a couple of months at least - to do some real work with it to make the switch.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
I'll have a bit of time after my NYE gig - a couple of months at least - to do some real work with it to make the switch.

What is your "NYE gig"?
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
trickg wrote:
I'll have a bit of time after my NYE gig - a couple of months at least - to do some real work with it to make the switch.

What is your "NYE gig"?

New Year's Eve, perhaps?
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProAm wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
trickg wrote:

What is your "NYE gig"?

New Year's Eve, perhaps?

Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the heavier Curry blank for most playing. A lighter one might be a little better for commercial playing, but for the mostly legit stuff I play, the standard Curry blank is good.
Jaw04
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
iiofiiipopes wrote:
As a comeback player, who found his late '70's Bach 3C just wasn't comfortable anymore, and took more effort than I wanted to put into it, I also went through a safari and settled on the Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz. It is just a hair brighter than my 3C. It is essentially in all aspects half way between a 3C and a 3D, and I have enjoyed it much more. I feel I have better breath control, which translates to better playing all around: tone, intonation, phrasing, etc.

I've read a lot of posts that speak highly of the Shew Jazz piece, and one day I might spring for one myself. Given that other than a very slight difference in the outer rim contour, the Shew Jazz cup is identical to a modern 3C cup, I think the difference in how they sound, play and/or feel must be due to differences in their backbores.

Bach 3C (red) vs Yamaha Bobby Shew Jazz green)

Samson is saying we spend too much time fretting about mouthpieces...

I just got the Bobby Shew Jazz Kelly mouthpiece (basically plastic version of the yamaha) and I have been pleasantly surprised. It's a fun and cheap mouthpiece to fool around on. I like the plastic, for me it's very comfortable transitioning from a regular Bach 3C. Also easier to play soft and it has a very warm intimate sound for quiet bedroom practice. But I'm guessing it lacks the projection and overtones of a metal piece if you're going for a big sound. I'm going to try it out in a live outdoor playing situation tonight and I'm looking forward to playing it when the temperature dips a few degrees
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
trickg wrote:

What is your "NYE gig"?

Hey - just got back to this. My NYE gig wasn't actually a NYE party, per se - it was a wedding reception that was also kinda-sorta a NYE party.

It was a smaller affair - probably about 50ish people total, with a lot of little kids. A general truth I've found regarding wedding receptions and the dance floor is that if little kids are present, it's not generally a good night on the dance floor because if the kids are out there dancing, the adults don't tend to go out and dance. It's just a different kind of party.

All told though it was a nice event - we rung in the new year and played until 12:30. Of course I didn't use the Curry 3C. I used my Warburton 4SVW/KT setup on my Jupiter 1600i.
- ACB Doubler

John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NYE gig is as it has been for the past several years. At midnight I kiss my wife, drink our champagne toast, and play Auld Lang Syne out on our front porch with the final refrain up an octave ending on a nice fat G. Thank you 43M!!!

It's become a tradition in our Beverly neighborhood - the neighbors come out at midnight to hear it! So far, no lettuce has been thrown. But there is still silly string on the street from the neighbors' antics. We're such a mature bunch of adults here...
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched both college football playoff games, kissed my wife, and went to bed before midnight. I know, we're real party animals...ha ha
shofar
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:59 pm    Post subject: 3C Reply with quote

Hey Guys;

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned the Bob Reeves 3C. Another great Bob Reeves mouthpiece. I love mine. Give it a try, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Roger Wood
(818) 207-7578
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: