• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Opinions of facial hair and trumpet playing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I always make sure I've shaved before I play. If I don't, it feels uncomfortably bristly. It also seems to effect my endurance and sound to some degree. I think it effects the lip-mouthpiece grip.

I can't really think of many/any people that actually place the mouthpiece on facial hair, some have it, but it isn't under the rim.

Personally - and Donald S Reinhardt talked about this too - an electric shaver is best. The 'cutless' ones you buy in packets can irritate the skin etc which is another complication to avoid. A good electric shaver is a god send IMO
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have always had the opposite question - why is it that so many trumpet players have facial hair? It seems about 3-4x the norm. Did they have a permanent lip circle to cover up?
telebuck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to be clean shaven when playing. I don't really notice that it affects my tone, but if I skip a day of shaving, the facial hairs cause my skin above the lip to feel irritated. For performances I'll shave later in the day to avoid even a 5 o'clock growth. YMMV.
jjtrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is true that growing a mustache will make you sound like Doc Severinsen, and a full beard will in fact make you sound EXACTLY like the love child of Al Hirt and Ronald Romm, psychologically sometimes shaving or not shaving can get in the way of playing. If I think about it, it always affects me one way or another. If I "forget" that I shaved or didn't shave, no problems.
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjtrumpet wrote:
... the love child of Al Hirt and Ronald Romm,

eew. Now there's a picture I'll be trying to shake off for a few weeks...

jjtrumpet wrote:
If I think about it, it always affects me one way or another. If I "forget" that I shaved or didn't shave, no problems.

That's it right there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jungledoc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that if I go too long without shaving, my chin starts getting too heavy, and I have to tighten my corners and roll my lips.

I'll admit it. It's a TR300, but it wants to be a Strad when it grows up.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
bach_again wrote:
It's a personal thing.

Thank you.

No, thank you!!!

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it's all psychological, but, if I don't shave for three or four days, playing starts to feel uncomfortable quickly.
Nonsense Eliminator
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's a mental thing. You wouldn't try to play on a mouthpiece with a hairy rim and expect it to be the same...

If I don't shave and then play a lot, I often get tiny little pimples on my bottom lip where my mouthpiece sits. So, needless to say -- I shave every day, because that sucks. However, I briefly had a goatee and it didn't bother me to play on at all.

All that said, I don't think it matters what I think. This is one of those things where everybody is allowed to be different. If it bugs you to have facial hair, shave. If it bugs you to be clean-shaven, don't shave.
tylerduncan91

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't feel a difference personally, but I do know other trumpet players that prefer playing with facial hair, and others that do not. Just do whatever feels best for you! Hope this helps!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
I don't think it's a mental thing. You wouldn't try to play on a mouthpiece with a hairy rim and expect it to be the same...
Now there's an idea- a fur-lined mouthpiece. WTH- about everything else has been tried. I can see PETA outside of the hall demonstrating against the brass section- - some naked broad in a cage or something... Mink, chinchilla or grey fox? Perhaps muskrat for the northern folks. If it ever came to grey wolf the entire world would stop.
widespreadtrumpet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Facial hair Reply with quote

I searched and dug this up because the topic came up in a discussion with a colleague last night. Wanted to share my experience...BTW, I have a goatee now and have for quite some time. Anyway, I had a full beard throughout college until I took a job with live shows at Carowinds back in 1974 (mandatory dress and appearance codes - no long hair and no facial hair). I waited to shave off the beard until the night before my audition. The next day, it felt as though I had never played the trumpet before! If it weren't for the person conducting my audition being a former college buddy, it's doubtful I would have gotten the job. Bottom line is don't make drastic changes, including shaving off your beard right before an important performance event.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it makes it *sound* different to the OP.

Back in the carefree helmet-optional days in California, riding my motorcycle around, I noticed that if I let my sideburns grow so there was hair as a "filter" in front of my ears, there was much less wind noise, while if I cut 'em short wow it was noisy.

Keep in mind there have been some pretty beardy trumpet players who sound great.
BrianCade1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make a difference. Ive noticed that women with full beards and mustaches have really crappy sounds...
JoshMizruchi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Facial hair affects players in different ways. Some guys like to shave every day while others seem to be fine playing with a full-grown mustache.

My personal opinion (for myself) is that I can play with a mustache, but I prefer not to. Does it affect my playing? Not really, but I do notice a positive difference with a clean-shaven face so that is what I usually try to go for.

The downside of shaving every day is it can irritate your face a bit, plus it's just not fun. One instructor suggested I use an electric razor, but every one I ever bought never really did a very good job. In fact, often it was so bad I ended up putting it down and going back to my non-electric razors. Granted, I never bought a fancy expensive one. Those might be better.

Overall I came to the conclusion what's best for me is to shave every other night, and that's what I do. Playing on one day of facial hair doesn't bother me at all, and it allows me to not have to spend too much of my life shaving. For me, it's a pretty good happy medium. So you might try that.
lmaraya
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions of facial hair and trumpet playing Reply with quote

danny45635 wrote:
Im certain this has been covered in another thread, but I figured I would start my own anyways. So for the last few weeks, I've noted when ever my facial hair got to a certain length, it started to drastically affect my playing (well at least I think it does). I would tire out quickly and my tone wouldn't be that great either. I would sound like I did in 8th grade (I'm in 11th now). Has anyone else had this experience?

I feel a lot better when I shave at night with an electric shaver (Braun brand) then play next day with a very short, almost unnoticeable stubble. I also use tweezers for the area where I put the MP.
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've honestly thought of laser surgery to get rid of my facial hair. I hate playing with a beard, and hate shaving even more. Stupid ingrown hairs and little cuts and irritations are the worst!!!

I'd love to NEVER have to shave again, nor ever have a stupid mustache or beard.
thehedge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you that shave your lip (or part of it) using? Electric razor? Double Edge? Some thin cartridge razor?

I ask because I have had a full beard/mustache for 40+ years (and been told that removing it would result in marriage woes). My trumpet teacher (new one) has suggested shaving part of my upper lip which scares me for many of the reasons others have stated.... but mostly nicks, cuts, etc.

I have used a DE safety razor for years on my neck and cheeks but using that to trim a small patch on my upper lip has me nervous. I tried a 3 blade cartridge but have already had one nick and trimming a fine line BUT keeping most of the 'stache is difficult.

Suggestions? (and no, removing the whole 'stache is not an option.)
Comeback
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nearly full trimmed beard and mustache (neck is shaven). I shave a small area beneath my lower lip with a double-blade disposable and trim my mustache length with an old Norelco electric shaver with a pop-up trimmer. This has been working so far, but then again, this is merely my fourth day back at the trumpet after a 2 year hiatus!

Jim
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played with a mustache for the last eight years, never a problem. I do shave a small enough spot in the middle, mouthpiece sits on the shaved skin, no problem. Plus I’m fairly certain it makes me play almost as well as Doc......I wish. 😉😉

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: