• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugel and trumpet stands

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johannestrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Flugel and trumpet stands Reply with quote

Hey

I have had some basic K&M trumpet and flugelhorn stands and I have lost my flugelhorn stand and I am looking for a new one. I am trying to find a good one that I can use while standing that is lifted a bit up.

Has anyone experience with this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/trumpet-cornet-flugelhorn-stands/hamilton-systemx-series-trumpet-cornet-flugelhorn-soprano-saxophone-stand#productDetail ?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to be a Debbie Downer here, but I bought that exact stand a few years ago ........and returned it almost immediately. In my opinion, it was very poorly made, and all the adjustments simply did not work. A total piece of junk, IMO.

The Hercules 3 leg stand is about the best one that I've seen recently for a little more height, I have also known guys who use the old Hamilton, but they use the trombone version because it's higher. I also have the KM five leg flugel stand, which I use more often, but it is quite low to the ground. If you're in the habit of leaving your horn on the stand unattended (I never do), it's pretty easy for someone walking by to actually step on the bell.

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
johannestrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I have been looking at the hercules 3 leg stand but isnt it unbalanced? Is it so heavy that you can for example have one horn on it ?
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hercules triple and single stand, and I love them both. They are a little unbalance for the height. Personally I sawed off part of the stand to shorten it, but I know some people have added weights to the base to solve the problem as well. For height, that would be the way to go, and it's great to have the ability to pick and choose how many/what types of stands you want on it.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hercules triple, and it's definitely unbalanced in some situations. If you want to put a single cornet on it and no other horns, you'll need to remove the screw on the center piece and locate the horn holder there. I haven't tried it with two horns, but suspect it might still present some problems. My main complaint about it, other than the center screw requiring a Phillips screwdriver to remove it, is that the provided rubber tips aren't small enough to allow the rods to be inserted far enough into the bell to bring the weight down closer to the base. I guess if you want something you could use while standing up, it might be OK. I'm sticking with my K&M's.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

find yourself a trombone stand, like the old school Hamilton stand
Retired Air Force Bandsman
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

+1 for the "old school Hamiltons." I use 2 Hamilton trombone stands on my jazz/funk gigs. You can adjust the cup for a snug fit for either trumpet or flugel, and adjust the heighth as well. The stands are both sturdy & stable.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Trombone-Stand-Chrome-Finish/dp/B002BAW0GE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453688263&sr=8-1&keywords=hamilton+trombone+stand

The trombone stand is only $2 more than the trumpet stand. Make sure you get the metal ones, not the newer variety.

I have the Hercules stands in my studio, but I'd never use them on a gig - not stable enough. The other down side is that the pegs seem to get looser with age, adding to their already inherent instability. But they're OK for practice room use if they're undisturbed.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GizB wrote:
zaferis wrote:

+1 for the "old school Hamiltons." I use 2 Hamilton trombone stands on my jazz/funk gigs. You can adjust the cup for a snug fit for either trumpet or flugel, and adjust the heighth as well. The stands are both sturdy & stable.

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Trombone-Stand-Chrome-Finish/dp/B002BAW0GE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453688263&sr=8-1&keywords=hamilton+trombone+stand

The trombone stand is only $2 more than the trumpet stand. Make sure you get the metal ones, not the newer variety.

I have the Hercules stands in my studio, but I'd never use them on a gig - not stable enough. The other down side is that the pegs seem to get looser with age, adding to their already inherent instability. But they're OK for practice room use if they're undisturbed.

Do you have any recently produced or purchased Hamilton stands of that model? I have heard the quality and material are not as good as the old ones. I could consider getting another.

Also, as you say - be sure to adjust the depth. One of my students stuck his trumpet on my trombone stand and got the rubber end cap wedged in his bell because it went in too far. Even more amusing, I got out with the use of the janitor's air compressor.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new Hamiltons are nothing like the old ones. try to find an old one
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
the new Hamiltons are nothing like the old ones. try to find an old one

Well, they make several types of trumpet stands, nowadays. There's the "System X":

And this one:

And what looks like the old classic:

I had to get the images from elsewhere than the Hamilton website, because I couldn't link to them there - but they look like these. The bottom model on the Hamilton site had a black, rather than a white part for the trumpet, though.

So, are you referring to one of the newer models above or are you saying the current production of the bottom model is "nothing like the old ones" - which is possible. I'd like to know if I buy one.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have three from the mid 70s and about 5 years ago I bought 4 new ones.
the new ones are just cheap and poorly made.

they use cheap metal that bends easily and the size is slightly bigger. the
legs are longer and overall it's hard to adjust.

I'll take some pictures to post later today

it's what also happened to the Spyder stand which was great when made in
Germany and less great now that they are made in China. they are also
much more expensive. there is slightly less difference between the Spyders
but a difference nonetheless. the new ones are black.

the German made ones came in blue, red and I have seen some beige ones.
http://highdefinitionbigband.com
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homebilly wrote:
I have three from the mid 70s and about 5 years ago I bought 4 new ones.
the new ones are just cheap and poorly made.

they use cheap metal that bends easily and the size is slightly bigger. the
legs are longer and overall it's hard to adjust.

I'll take some pictures to post later today

it's what also happened to the Spyder stand which was great when made in
Germany and less great now that they are made in China. they are also
much more expensive. there is slightly less difference between the Spyders
but a difference nonetheless. the new ones are black.

the German made ones came in blue, red and I have seen some beige ones.

Thanks. That's just what I needed to know.

It's a shame.

I also have an older German made Spyder stand bought by a friend in the mid-90's. It's great. My trumpet Hamilton is from either the late 90's or early 2000's. My trombone Hamilton is from who knows when, but it's one of the good ones. Guess I'll see if old ones show up on Craigslist or Ebay or something...
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you go

you can see the bend in the leg in photo nš6
i also had to add a plumbers band to stand the plastic bell mold
off of the twist knob.

rubber feet are not interchangeable

made in vietnam
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For flugelhorn, I use an old Hamilton stand with a larger rubber tip (from a hardware store). It's just pushed over the smaller one that came on the stand. I cut a circle of chamois for each rest to cushion the bell a bit and prevent scratches.

Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine look like the ones that Dale has pictured - minus the hardware store tip. Thanks Dale!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Ercc16

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best stand ive used and honestly the best investment ive made on regards to an instrument stand is the hurcules tripple horn stand. It has a wide base and two trumpet pegs and on flugel peg. Very sturdy and very well made. If youre looking for a stand that is well worth the money and gives you the best bang for your buck id recommend getting one of them.
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Another option Reply with quote

I agree with the comments that new Hamiltons are really only Hamilton Shaped Objects of really poor quality.

K&M trombone stands are great quality, and very heavy duty. I don't think chrome is available any more, but their black finish holds up very well. Horn Guys always has them (www.hornguys.com).

K&M also makes a taller stand that uses the same horn holder as their compact five leg models, but on a taller base. The base isn't really wide, though, so I wouldn't recommend it for stage use. K&M also makes a great gadget for anyone who has their compact stands. They make a plastic threaded post (I found them at Dillon's) that accepts their horn stand tops, and for a beast of a multi-horn stand, you can attach them to a slab of hardwood with rounded over edges. My plan for them is to attach them to the thick top of the small repurposed nightstand I use in my studio for metronome, tuner, oil, coffee...the essentials. Add the three K&M posts firmly anchored to the top and they're not really on the way. When you add the horn stand tops, it's a very heavy tall horn stand, and you can still take the horn stand tops and use them on their five pegged base if you need portability.
[/b]
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not terribly relevant I guess, but I just now dug out one of my old (like probably 1974) Hamilton stands....it IS considerably more stable than the three leg Hercules. Popped a Crown Royal bag over the peg (the plastic round base the bell rests on is a bit dinged up), gonna use it on the gig tonight.

Brad
trumpseoso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old Hamilton stand from early 1970's Air Force days had deteriorated soft parts. I called Hamilton to order replacements and they said "warranted for life" and shipped everything at no cost. Got new leg tips as well as the cushion and end piece for the bell. I use a Hercules Triple for big band gigs. I'm in a Quintet and made a peg for my picc that fits in place of one of the trumpet parts. Now I can have a Bb, Flugel, and Picc on the same stand. Hercules is well made but you have to watch balance or a horn can tip the whole unit over. I never leave horns on stands unattended however.
seilogramp
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpseoso wrote:
My old Hamilton stand from early 1970's Air Force days had deteriorated soft parts. I called Hamilton to order replacements and they said "warranted for life" and shipped everything at no cost.

That's pretty awesome! They deserve our business.

Quote:
I'm in a Quintet and made a peg for my picc that fits in place of one of the trumpet parts.

I bought the Hercules Flute/Clarinet Peg for my picc. Seems to work pretty well. Maybe your custom-made peg sits bit higher?

1972 Getzen Eterna 900S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: