• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mindless Hardware Methodology

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lynn9544

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:43 am    Post subject: Mindless Hardware Methodology Reply with quote

Mindless Hardware Methodology

After years of beta testing, my unconventional Mindless Hardware Methodology is now available for all players who wish to dramatically improve their physical capabilities on trumpet. The hardware package is comprised of my XPiece mouthpiece and separate Reversible Rim. This unique methodology works simply and effectively, bypassing the cumbersome thought processes that typically accompany traditional methods/systems. The price for both the XPiece and the Reversible Rim is $175 USD plus shipping. Some of you have purchased the tools from the first run of the Mindless Hardware Methodology. For the rest of you, please read more below…..

lynn9544@gmail.com

Used properly, these tools will improve your sound, range, consistency and endurance, regardless of your playing style or currently used mouthpiece and horn. For those of you who have purchased my very zen “Got High Notes?” video, these tools are an adjunct to, not a replacement for the video. However, for those of you who have not yet purchased the video, these new tools still work as a stand-alone methodology, even in the absence of fully understanding the MF Protocol. Just follow the simple instructions. During my many years of private teaching, I observed that 95% of all students played mouthpieces that were too big, subscribing to the myth that a big mouthpiece will provide a big sound. That being said, the MHM is also a great way to downsize your mouthpiece, while greatly increasing your capabilities and consistency, all without sacrificing sound. I have used these tools for years to maintain and improve my physical capabilities on the trumpet, automatically, in the absence of thought, and in my case, also in the absence of playing time….

Notes…. The XPiece is a small mouthpiece with a convex cup, similar to the MF Jet Tone, but substantially smaller and more difficult to play. My favorite blank is used, similar to the Jet Tone classic blank, but with one ring instead of two. The Reversible Rim is similar to the rim I’ve used for years, but offering 2 options--difficult to play on one side, and very difficult to play on the other. If you rented “Got High Notes?” and have already purchased a v-cup and rim, those should serve you well. However, the XPiece and Reversible Rim will further accelerate implementation of the Maynard Ferguson Protocol.

To be clear, the XPiece and Reversible Rim are tools, to be used as described in the simple directions. Your primary mouthpiece will stay the same, although the change to a smaller mouthpiece now becomes a viable option. It’s unlikely that any of you will adopt the XPiece as your primary mouthpiece, but who knows? Most players won’t sound very good at first on the XPiece. This is normal and alludes to the whole point of the methodology. Same goes for the Reversible Rim. You will improve, though, as your playing apparatus creates order out of the apparent chaos. Even if you don’t fully master the XPiece and Reversible RIm, your physical capabilities on the trumpet will still improve dramatically, as a result of this simple Mindless Hardware Methodology.

Hope you are all well....

Peace
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine a couple of days ago - I've been working and experimenting with playing more and more relaxed for the last couple of months now. Have a busy section of gigs and sessions this week but have done about 10-15 3-5 min sessions with the Xpiece in the last couple of days in between, and definitely getting a more relaxed sensation in my playing - it is a similar feel to Pops' low lip buzzing I've been doing about 20 minutes worth of since last week.. I keep coming back to Pops' low lip buzzing because I find it is the most effective tool for me.. and this new Xpiece is giving me a similar sensation. I think they are approaching the same idea in 2 different ways and hitting them both is giving me exponential benefit.

I've written in before about the parallels I see and experience studying Lynn's video and Pops' teaching. I'm employing the most effective tools for me with these two teachings and am getting more and more very encouraging results. I feel like I'm getting close to the point where I won't have to even think about my physical approach anymore and just keep the 'memory mechanism' going with a few simple techniques. I agree with Lynn on this - mindlessness in this approach is the best!

There is also a two sided rim that you do the unfurled buzzing on.. Only a few sessions on this so far.. very loud 'jet-plane' sound when I do this.. Not sure exactly how it's effecting my playing.. Perhaps getting my air going more..

All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lex,

I have ordered it too and I am currently waiting to get it (it is in the fingers of german customs now).

Because you have had the Drew Wilkie lead piece once a time (you sold it to me later on), and the Curry .560 GH, what is your impression please comparing all three pieces regarding playability, rim and shallowness?

best
Reiner
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Reiner, the diameter is bigger than the two you mentioned..but not as big as the Vintage MF...maybe it's around .600.. Also the rim is flatter and I think the throat is bigger and it is a very straight V. I feel like it starts to shut down for me around 5 minutes.. and Lynn only recommends doing 3-5 minute sessions. I will sometimes get that 'growl' in the sound that MF got occasionally when he was tired.. The bite is soft like the other 50'-60's MF pieces. My sense about this mouthpiece is that it is specifically designed for training purposes.. It really does make you focus on your air more and, as Lynn states in the instructions, the more efficient feel and usage of air does translate over to when I go back to my main mouthpieces. Hope this helps! Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lex -of course this helps.

I think on a shallow v-cup pieces one can confuse a "no bite" rim with a convex cup. Anyway from investigating optical the inner bite in the pics of the XPiece I agree with you it is more like MF pieces from the 50/60 not quite a "no bite" like the MF Jet-Tone from the late 70th, but the inner v-cup of the XPiece - just after the "bite" - shows a convex taper for me.

Important for me is the information from you that the id is closer to the Vintage Maynard as to the .560 pieces GH/DW we both have experienced.

I have recognized for me that if I play a smaller shallow V-cup, a bit of a bite is more helpul (never got the DW .560 piece really working for me, but the GH .560) whereas using the original MF Jet-Tone works fine (no bite at all) because it provides a greater id and a convex cup.

For me the convex design is ingenious!

best
Reiner
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great insights Reiner, thanks for sharing - yeah man, I agree and had the same experience with the DW560.. I like the very soft bite on the 50's and 60's MF pieces.. I also dig the 70's no bite pieces as well though. From what I have gleaned from the Stork writings on mouthpieces, players like myself, with thin, not-too-fleshy lips, do well with rims that are thicker and have a softer bite to them. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
lynn9544

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Mindless Hardware Methodology Reply with quote

During my many years of private teaching, I observed that 95% of all players used mouthpieces that were too big for their particular applications, believing in the myth that a big mouthpiece gives you a big sound. Before going to the small v-cups, I too, believed the same. After being exposed to the mechanisms of the MF Protocol, many of these same players did indeed go to smaller pieces, and realized that no sound was sacrificed with the smaller piece, and range and endurance were greatly improved. In fact, many times, the smaller piece provides even more presence than the previous larger piece.

That being said, the XPiece and Reversible Rim also make the transition to a smaller piece faster and more efficient......

Peace
lynn9544

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Mindless Hardware Methodology Reply with quote

Link

I've had some questions about using the XPiece as a primary mouthpiece. Here I am doing just that a couple years ago, with an earlier iteration of the XPiece. Temperatures were so cold, I could barely feel my chops, and I hadn't played for days. I found a good echo with which to work, and just started playing. The XPiece is designed to use as a tool only, in conjunction with the Reversible Rim of the Mindless Hardware Methodology and MF Protocol. However, some of you, who are already down into the true small v-cups, while accurately employing the MF Protocol, may have some luck using the XPiece as a primary piece. Used in that capacity, you'll never have to worry about chops, but as is the case with the v-cups, your challenge will be precision. If you're playing correctly, though, precision will also become a non-issue. Your mileage may vary.....

Hope you are all well...

Peace
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cha! I've had the cats cue this up on my big band gig tonight - some don't believe the echo is real. But of course it is, look where you are!
Www.LexSamu.com
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's more like a digital delay than an echo

What a fun place to play!
lynn9544

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:05 am    Post subject: Mindless Hardware Methodology Reply with quote

Thank you all for making the first run of the Mindless Hardware Methodology a success!

We're now taking orders for the second run. Email me here to order yours: lynn9544@gmail.com

Hope all is well in your respective worlds...

Peace
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me chime in here even because I am not a pro or trumpet performing artist….

…I am a 60 years old trumpet enthusiast playing in my basement along with my hero Maynard and having fun to do so..

…I am a lucky participant of the first run of this Mindless Hardware Methodology too….

For all trumpet enthusiasts looking for a playful access to trumpet playing give this Methodology a serious chance!

…why?

There seems to be a contradiction using the words “mindless” and “methology” – but it is a really kind of a Koan.

Long time in my life I was a great fan in making meaningful thoughts and plans and strictly execute them to reach some aim ( I am a professional software engineer) ….I got in touch with most “methods” quoted here in TH too in the dedicated forums – but late in my age I ponder a lot about how humans think they could achieve things and in which manner….. this is pretty much an illusion I found.

This is true for trumpet playing too: you only get it when all pieces fall in place – nothing to do with your purposeful efforts (but mind will tell you so after you have achieved some steps forward it hopefully!).

Do you think you need years of a strict practice regime with a lot of hours each day to dominate the horn? We all know that one actually can develop bad habits in those years and end up in the opposite direction. So here comes great advice: get a good teacher…! Again mind now is searching for a good teacher …some are lucky to find – most are not!

What if the only reason one needs all that time is to reach a single moment when all pieces fall into place and you got an “aha”? Some need more time, some less….?

I know: one needs physical development. You are right! But what about skill? Someone can show you? May be. Most and best teachings are based on imitating.

But back to the XPiece:

I am a firm believer that here are mouthpiece designs out there helping a lot in minimizing the development of bad habits playing the trumpet. The usual sharper huge rim and deep bowel cups will not deal with this – quite the opposite. The curvature of the cup may be essential (besides throat, backbore etc.) – for me it is the shallow v-cup curvature that forces efficiencies on the whole body apparatus managing the sound generation process.

Lynn has done a milestone in inventing the XPiece and he has done another one in introducing the “MF Protocol”: to take some good designed mouthpiece that supports the unfolding process of your lips at the begin and the end of your practice session (your ego will not miss the practice regime, believe me!).

So feel free to take the XPiece, use your ears and try to get a good sound and let the body do the rest of the work and let all concepts behind you – you will be astonished for sure!

Would it be fine not to be fearful to loose “your chops” because you don’t need some?

Spend few minutes a day with the XPiece and with an overall awareness not specifically dedicated on score reading, tongue placement, lip configuration – only on sound!
lynn9544

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:29 am    Post subject: Mindless Hardware Methodology Reply with quote

Thanks for all the positive feedback! The second run of the XPiece and Reversible Rim tool set for the Mindless Hardware Methodology shipped yesterday, two days earlier than anticipated. I ordered a few extra sets for those of you who missed the second run sign-up. Contact me if interested, and we'll send you an invoice....

Hope all of you are doing well....

Peace
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lynn, hello everyone,

Two questions for anyone willing to answer :

-first, the Xpiece :

getting a clear sound as advised is very difficult for me, almost impossible.
I can get an airy sound ( understand some sound in the air ) in the staff, nothing comes out higher. I try to get some leadpipe buzzing ' sirens ' from the E down to the pedals to find the ' sweet spot '......Anybody experiencing the same ?

- the rim :

it should be described with one very difficult to play side and one impossible to play other !
in the description Lynn makes, he states one should play above High C with it. Sadly, I hardly can play up to High C with it. Should I try and get some kind of range with it gradually or find a more ' agressive ' way of handling it ?

I have decided to post for everyone to see my post, not solely to Lynn, my issues solving could benefit to others

thanks for your help

JiCe
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hello Lynn, hello everyone,

Two questions for anyone willing to answer :

-first, the Xpiece :

getting a clear sound as advised is very difficult for me, almost impossible.
I can get an airy sound ( understand some sound in the air ) in the staff, nothing comes out higher. I try to get some leadpipe buzzing ' sirens ' from the E down to the pedals to find the ' sweet spot '......Anybody experiencing the same ?

- the rim :

it should be described with one very difficult to play side and one impossible to play other !
in the description Lynn makes, he states one should play above High C with it. Sadly, I hardly can play up to High C with it. Should I try and get some kind of range with it gradually or find a more ' agressive ' way of handling it ?

I have decided to post for everyone to see my post, not solely to Lynn, my issues solving could benefit to others

thanks for your help

JiCe

...until Lynn will respond:

...from where did you start please?

- have you seen the video from Lynn?
- your normal mouthpiece ID, shallowness, rim contour, shape etc.?
- your normal range?
- how would you describe your embouchure in terms of rolled in, rolled out, puckered or not, preset or not, relaxed or pinched, mouthpiece pressure or not etc. do you have some ideas about please?

the last question is only to verify your mindlesss state....

For me the XPiece is working fine with bright sound all over the range currently up to d3/e3 with normal daily ups and downs of course - but I am accustomed over a long period to MF design mouthpieces which need definitely another kind of approach as any other mouthpiece design.

I am not sure if any kinds of buzzing (mouthpiece, leadpipe) on that piece will work at all because they will involve to many muscles not needed for playing the whole sound system with such a piece. Have you played around with uncommen lip placements regarding your current setup on that piece? I found that this small convex v-cups need a close 50/50 lip setting - in my case I "set in" a bit in my bottom lip like Maynard and have tried some pivot changes. One has to make lots of experiments beyond what feels right at the beginning. But one deeds definitely a secure support from the abs.

While playing slow simple scales in the stuff I first experienced that each note needs some alertness regarding sound and pitch - something which occurs on normal pieces only in intervals (slotting is not supported as much as by other equipment, it is more ones own turn).

regarding rim: here I have problems too. Currently I got some high pitch sound above c3 but not as long and not with melodical control as Lynn does. I think one can not develope it gradually from bottom to top but with an "agressive" attitude right away above c3.

Please apologize my mindful words in advance but I hope they can help a bit and stick on MHM!

best
lynn9544

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Mindless Hardware Methodology Reply with quote

Hello JiCe, et al,

Thanks for your questions. In general, the more difficult are the XPiece and Reversible Rim to play, the more benefits are potentially derived. Sooo, you’re one of the lucky ones, JiCe…. By specific design, not tinkering, these tools were created to assist me in playing the small/true v-cups, since I could not find anything commercially available that was more difficult to play. The dimensions are all critical, and not voodoo.

Pursuant to the XPiece question, an airy sound (or no sound) indicates one, two, or all of 3 things. First, anything less than a pure sound occurs when the vibrating surface has too much tension. Clearly, rubber vibrates more readily than wood, right? Second, an airy sound can occur when vertical mouthpiece placement is too far removed from 50/50. The further away from 50/50, the narrower the horizontal vibrating surface, and the more resistance to air passage between chops. Also, the narrower the horizontal vibrating surface, the smaller the sound. Taken to the extreme of say 95/5 or less, no air will pass through the chops and you’ll eventually have no sound. That being said, try positioning the mouthpiece more toward center, vertically, while relaxing the vibrating surface more than usual, until you get a good sound. Then, as described in the simple directions, go immediately back to your primary piece. Third, no sound often results from too much lip protrusion. If you’re using too much lip protrusion, your mouthpiece is likely too deep for the sound you hear in your head. Lip protrusion is generally employed to make the piece act shallower for a brighter sound. It’s much more efficient to simply go to a shallower piece. Getting a good sound on the XPiece will cure all these issues, and it won’t take long.

Pursuant to the Reversible Rim question, yes, you need to be more aggressive and creative with your approach. Why? There are no acoustic feedback mechanisms in place to assist you in playing the RR, as there are for a mouthpiece or mouthpiece/horn combo. The RR "cup" is infinitely deep and the hole size is .520”. For these reasons, the RR points out EVERY deficiency in your playing apparatus. You have only your air on which to rely, and this may not be normal for you. Try different things, especially in the chop relaxation and unfurling departments. You can play the RR in any range you wish, but the real value of this exercise is above high C. Once your chops are sufficiently relaxed and you’re getting a good/full sound, you will vividly notice how important is your air. Never forget the concept that compression from the abs gets the notes, not the chops, unless of course, you want to sound like a mosquito. The RR drives this point home with a vengeance. Then go immediately back to your primary hardware, and notice how much easier and fun trumpet has become, when all the acoustic feedback mechanisms are in place.

In closing, after 2-4 weeks of using the tools, if you find your primary piece feels too big/deep most of the time, you may want to consider a smaller/shallower piece. The Mindless Hardware Methodology tools are perfect for such a transition. In so doing, you will potentially acquire more range/endurance and ease of playing, all with more presence delivered to the listener. Those of you who have heard me live understand this clearly. One last, but hugely important comment--all of your work on the XPiece and Reversible Rim assumes that you vibrate all the way across the inner diameter, all the time, at all volumes and in all registers. This is how Maynard and I got/get a uniform/full sound in all registers....

Hope that helps JiCe.... Enjoy the process, but DO be a little impatient....

Hope you are all well....

Peace
jicetp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lynn and others !

First, let me thank you for the quick reply.

I was guessing that coming from a way different piece ( 3C equivalent ), the drastic change in design would take some time to getting used to.
I try diligently to get the same feeling I have on the leadpipe in the pedal range up to the E . Coming its way slowly Nice pure sound in this register ! Only 2+ octaves to go

I suspect this piece to be a good tool to fine tune my embouchure, and I can see how in the future I can use it as a diagnosis tool, quick set-up piece to get going.

For a couple of months, I have been experimenting with smallish piece as a Warm-Up tool ( a WCC Warburton piece ) . Unplayable for me, but when some sound was here, I would swith to my main piece and BAM ! Everything was here ( sound, relaxation.....)

I am very happy to be able to have this XPiece in my arsenal and can't wait to see the results

All the best

JiCe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: