• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

FINALLY! tribute to my dear friend and teacher Vinnie Tanno

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: FINALLY! tribute to my dear friend and teacher Vinnie Tanno Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3N7dvyGCEE

He was the greatest player I ever heard live and I've heard them all. On a good night he could play Cherokee in the key of B natural at 320. He could play very nice double C's and used them many times in his solos. Listen to the double B he gets out after all that playing on the bridge.

Rest in peace Vinnie (Vincent Napolotano) Tanno

Your friend, student and champion.

Chris LaBarbera

BTW he was 22 when this was recorded. You should have heard this man in his prime around 38 years old......Mother Fu**er
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Clifford meets Dizzy!

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
danny45635
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. His playing is so clean too.
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so everybody knows thats NOT Vinnie on the picture. That is a picture of the trombone players band Lon Norman from sometime in the early 1950's. The trumpet player in that picture was a very average club date player named Jerry Marshall.

Vinnie when I knew him could have been a Wolfman Jack double.

He was on the bands on Stan Kenton "Cuban Fire" "Kenton in HI Fi"
Charlie Barnet
Lionel Hampton
Tommy Dorsey
Jimmy Dorsey

There is a live record out there recorded in Miami with an all star band featuring Vinnie. It was recorded in 1977 and a place called the Swiss Chalet (now a gas station). On the band with Vinnie are Frank Rosolino (3 weeks before his tragedy) Nat Adderly, Pete Minger, Arnett Cobb, Danny Turner Alan Eager, Duffy Jackson and his dad Chubby on bass and leader.

I road down with Vinnie ( I was 15) and got the thrill of my life. Thank goodness somebody recorded it. Vinnie and the whole band were on FIRE.

Chris LaBarbera
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

listen to his solo on fu-dunk
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great playing! Seriously great articulation!

Thanks for sharing this!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys keep mentioning his articulation, well his favorite book and he also claimed it was Brownies too was the "Gatti Method for trumpet". He always was preaching Gatti......
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBjazz wrote:
Wow. Clifford meets Dizzy!

Eb

Eric, funny you should say that, found a better photo...

1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much guys for posting that. You have no idea what that means to me to see that.

That picture is from the mid to late 1950's and its probably with Kenton or Barnet etc.

When I met him as a kid he had a salt a pepper wolfman jack beard. But thats what his chops looked like when he was really blowing.

Can't thank you all enough.

Chris
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, thank you, Chris!...for turning me on to another paisan player! By coincidence, as a kid growing up in Waltham, MA in the '80s, my mentor was the best trumpet player in town, and lifelong best friend to my father (who played trombone), another "Vinnie" (Melideo), who died far too young.

To confirm, above photo is Stan's band in 1956; seated are Lennie Niehaus and Bill Perkins.

Found a later photo, matching your description:

Do you recall another paisan player of that era--Al Mattaliano?
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks chris for putting this up. great business you guys have there, the music business. this isn't persia 1000 years ago where the cream really had the opportunity to rise to the top. in a long enough life so far i would observe not to take business conditions too seriously and simply develop yourself and technical level.
fox
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to hear Vinnie. He taught me how the body- back muscles were involved in playing. I remember him as a very physical presence but never had a chance to hear him in musical context. I still have the Schilke 11 he gave me back in '76. He was a dark-haired bull back then.
Doug
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Vinnie and Billy Root Reply with quote

The photo of Vinnie and Billy Root was from a live date at Cappazoli's in Las Vegas. Billy was working with me on the house band at the Frontier doing Siegfried and Roy, not exactly a jazz gig, and Vinnie had moved to Las Vegas and was doing a dixie gig at the Orleans. I was contracting the band at the Frontier and we needed a trumpet player when Stu Satalof left the band and Billy recommended Vinnie. Vinnie stayed a few months and I don't think show-biz really was his forte as much of a giant player that he was. Geesh, you'd think a person with his talent would LOVE lions and tigers.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy cow! How did this guy manage to not be famous?

I've traveled in jazz trumpet circles all my life with my antenna up learning all I can about the people who do this, and never heard of him.

It really isn't a small, small world.
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, Mark. Hadn't heard the cat. Wow. Thx for turning us on to him, Chris. Hope you're good in F L A.

ed
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the Schilke #11 !!!

Vinnie had probably 300 mps that he had ruined trying to alter them himself with the "back of a boy scout knife"

But that Schilke 11 was his baby. he would never touch that.

You just had to know this guy. He was absolutely crazy (in a nice way) He had a mlp Benge with two lead pipes and he just couldn't decide witch one he liked better. the horn was gold plated but the plating was ruined from Vinnie constantly having repairmen taking one pipe off and soldering the other on.

One day he calls me happy as sh!t. He says "I got the greatest trumpet in the world now" He had a repairman solder BOTH leadpipes on to his horn at the same time!!! So now all he has to do is take out his mp and move the upper tuning slide leg to change pipes.

That was Vinnie.....

Chris
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for chiming in Tony,

You happen to be right. For as great a soloist as Vinnie was the complaint was that in a section he never played anything the same way twice.

He was sick and hadn't been playing very much when he did that Billy Root date. He told me he didn't care for his playing on it.

I would imagine that his best years were down here in FL in the late 1960's and some of the first few years that he spent in vegas.

He married a very sickly woman and was always taking care of her. So toward the end of his career he kind of just "let it slip away"

But MAN if you only heard him in his prime. He would scare the sh!t out of you.....
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this Chris! And good to hear from you man.

Mr.Hollywood wrote:
two lead pipes and he just couldn't decide witch one he liked better.

The best player I really had the chance to rub elbows with as a kid was like that, too. Bob Livingood. Played lead in my Dad's section. Big band cut their record all in one take, except Bob went back to do some overdubs. Swapped a leadpipe and let out this huge double C that took down walls. Bob's big claim to fame was playing second to Leon Merian, for Liza Minnelli.

Watching him split hairs with leadpipes convinced me not to fiddle about with gear, at all. This was at a time when 3 weeks allowance would've bought me a (real!) Jet-Tone, and the factory was not that far from home. I kinda wish I had one of each model Bill made now, LOL
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what ever became of Bob ?

I know he had his "15 minutes" but then he just seemed to vanish.

I remember seeing him in an old issue of the Getzen Gazzette when he was with Liza.

The thing with Vinnies horn with two pipes soldered together was that it was a MINT early Burbank (with the music ledger scroll on the bell, apparently very rare) with a gorgeous anderson gold plate on it. I saw the horn before Vinnie went leadpipe "postal" on the horn and it looked like it belonged in Tiffany's window. But years of going back and fourth with the pipes took its toll on the beauty of the horn.

That was Vinnie.

May God Bless him wherever he is........

BTW Vinnie sent me to Reinhardt, he was from South Philly (Italian section)

Chris LaBarbera
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:30 pm    Post subject: Vinnie Reply with quote

Hi Chris. Yeah, I didn't want to "tarnish" his great reputation but when Billy recommended him for "Sigfried and Roy", well, it was somewhat of a disaster. Vinnie spaced things out on a regular basis and made the same mistakes over and over. I had no choice but to let him go which was very hard to do. Production shows are unique in that with the same music night after night, and in this case year after year, the guys get sensitive to the most minute changes and glaring mistakes were bugging everybody in the band. Even Billy admitted to me that it wasn't working out. I never heard him in his prime but I certainly know what a monster he was.

All the best,

Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: