• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpieces and Tone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jearnhart

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Mouthpieces and Tone Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by jearnhart on Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
JLoyalist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it isn't impossible to get a sound that would be appropriate for smaller chamber groups on a 'lead' mouthpiece I've always found it much easer to simply pick a mouthpiece with a similar rim that has either a deeper cup shape or a more open backbore(or both!)

In Eric's case? Playing lead in Big Bands and on Studio calls, The EM1 Mouthpiece was no doubt designed to make achieving that very particular sound and style of playing easier for Eric.

If you insist on playing on that mouthpiece for everything you should focus on what kind of airstream you're using. Think about using relaxed, 'warm' air. Also understand that the brighter the sound, the less you have to push to be able to cut through an ensemble.

Hope this helps..
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few guys that can get a legit tone from a shallow piece. I'm thinking of Alan Vizzutti. But for most players, trying to use a very shallow piece for orchestra or chamber, even wind ensemble playing isn't going to be optimal.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Eric play in a bar near Chicago a couple of weeks ago. Nearly every tune where he would play in the staff, he used his flugelhorn. He would then switch mid-song to trumpet for all the high stuff. Guess that's how he does it!
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
There are a few guys that can get a legit tone from a shallow piece. I'm thinking of Alan Vizzutti. But for most players, trying to use a very shallow piece for orchestra or chamber, even wind ensemble playing isn't going to be optimal.

I agree. I use two different mouthpieces with similiar rims and like the results. Not that the brand is important, the Curry 3B I use for Concert/church stuff, and a 3M for almost everything else. That being said, I am currently on a Warburton "experiment" using one cup and two different backbores to achieve the desired sound. I'm having a hard time deciding on which way to go.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
Schilkes22
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of random thoughts here. With the mouthpiece in question, how well do You blend with the rest of the section? IF You can't tell, ask the director. The section as a whole sounds better when they blend well, and I have a hard time believing that if the rest of the secion are playing "c" cups, that your EM piece will "fit" with the others. And, out of curiosity, why do you want to use the EM for something other than lead-type work? My own situation, money is the big reason that I don't have the whole Curry 3 series, or Warburton 4's.
Warburton Mouthpieces
Berklee '95
trumpetplanet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mouthpieces and Tone Reply with quote

jearnhart wrote:
I'm having trouble getting a warm tone on a shallow cup mouthpiece, but I want to use it for chamber playing as well as jazz. Is there any way that one can achieve a warm tone on a shallow piece? The mouthpiece I'm referencing is the Eric Miyashiro 1 Lead Mouthpiece with a 16.02 cup diameter.

How is your sound overall on this mouthpiece? How long have you been using it?
What is it you actually mean by "warm" sound? Are you trying to blend better, or spread your tone? How is your intonation? Blending is much more about intonation and articulation than it is about these mythical terms like "bright", "dark", "warm", "round". Those words don't mean anything. You should aim for a quality sound, with good control, pitch centre and clean articulation.
How good is your soft playing on this mouthpiece? does it get airy, or do you have a good core that projects well at a range of dynamics?

The nature of your question suggests that you are not happy with the sound that you make on the mouthpiece. Is it just a confidence thing? i.e. you like the sound but you fear that others will complain about it?

If you play well, confidently and in tune then people will stop talking about your equipment. I know this from experience in both classical and commercial settings.

https://neotericbrass.com/
https://trumpetpla.net/
https://tonguecontrolled.info/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: