• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

New Callet mouthpiece - SC1ss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC,
What are you using for gear currently? Horn, mouthpiece, id.? This New piece Mr Callet came up with has the same id i think as his Callet Jazz piece from years ago, actually the jazz may be .560 id, i've always wanted to try one.

regards,

tom
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject: new callet mouthpiece-sc1ss Reply with quote

I have the utmost admiration for what Jerry has done for the trumpet world!!! I studied with him from 1975-'77 and I learned quite a bit regarding power and obtaining a true lead sound. I've been using a Legends JT-CS .590 for quite a while now and I love it...especially the Charlie Shavers rim. This new piece of Jerry's sounds like something I might like since people are comparing the rim to the CS rim.

So...I have a few questions for those of you in the "know":

(1) Does this new piece have any undercut on the bite??? This is a deal breaker for me as I can't play a super high "alpha angle". The last Callet piece I tried about 15 years ago was his DT-10 which did NOT work for me due to the lack of bite/undercut.

(2) Does Jerry have these new pieces in stock or are they back ordered???

(3) Does he have a matching flugel piece ??? If not does he plan on offering one???

I feel that the transition from my Legends piece to this new Callet piece should be quite easy since the two match up in diameter...590...and rim...CS.

I'd appreciate any info you guys could give me in regards to my questions.

Thanks,
Butch
TRUMPE: SCHILKE B7 / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "RT1" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRELL1960 wrote:
NYC,
What are you using for gear currently? Horn, mouthpiece, id.? This New piece Mr Callet came up with has the same id i think as his Callet Jazz piece from years ago, actually the jazz may be .560 id, i've always wanted to try one.

regards,

tom

Hey man, I have a few pieces from Warburton and Greg Black and Mark Curry. All .590 inside rim...same-ish flat rim on all of them. Shallow cups, some a little V-ish , but flat bottom and large entrance to the throat.

I'm playing a ML bore Schilke trumpet with different bells.

I'm gonna try and get yo Jerrys house soon and probably pick one of the up. There is always some magic in Jerrys stuff.

In the 90s I had an X5 I loved, and one he made me with a flatter rim.

To this day I've never heard a louder, more frightening double C, than I heard Jerry play thousands of times in the 90s. At lessons, over the phone, trade shows etc. He was playing an X5 and his Jazz trumpet then. Good god was he loud.
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread! I agree with many of the posters about Jerry going back to his smaller diameter pieces. About the JAZZ piece. It's actually right around a .600 diameter. Jerry measures further down in the cup than traditional, so his measurements read smaller. The JAZZ is one of the nicest sounding small diameter pieces I know of.

I also dug Jerry's pieces that he made from the 70's on.. My 3 favorites are the JAZZ, the 17S (made by Vladimir Friedman), and the X5. I think the 17S gets the most lead-like sound of all of them. I also liked his SCREAMER piece.. Still, I get the brightest lead sound on my shallower version of the Marcinkiewicz Candoli. For years I have been using 3 different depth tops of the Candoli - deeper, standard, and shallower + the flugel piece. I like to experiment a lot but always come back to these.

It sounds like the new piece is a real winner - All the things us small diameter cats really like. Look fwd to hearing some more feedback from players using them on gigs, sessions, etc. No plans to buy one right now as I am very happy with my Candolis - but maybe in the future:-) All the best, Lex

p.s. - NYCplayer - Greg Black made a killer .590 piece for Mark Chuvala a few years back - another one I'm thinking of getting - real powerhouse piece..bright..loud.. I always look for the brightest, loudest piece I can get and then modify things under the rim to darken things up depending on my playing situation. Have you tried the Candoli 'Cink? Peter Pickett can also make you variations on this.. The rim is super killer comfy and the backbore is a Herrick copy. Although I use the Warburton 'H' on the shallowest piece and a 6* on my deepest Candoli trumpet top (about a Shew 2 depth) and sometimes I partially unscrew it to get some diffuse 'Chetiness' in there...nice!!

p.p.s. - Hey Butch! Good to see you on the TH man:-) Yeah, I would also need the counterpart flugel piece for sure if I was going to get the trumpet..been doing a lot of flugel.. hey, check out 'Instants of Time' Enrique Haneine on youtube - Album we did at Avatar last fall is up there.. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NYC-player"]
KRELL1960 wrote:
NYC,

regards,

tom

Hey man, I have a few pieces from Warburton and Greg Black and Mark Curry. All .590 inside rim...same-ish flat rim on all of them. Shallow cups, some a little V-ish , but flat bottom and large entrance to the throat.

I'm playing a ML bore Schilke trumpet with different bells.

sounds cool Nyc, i've been thinking about going down to the .590, been using .600's though for a while, but sometimes feel like there almost too big, as silly as that sounds. i tried a 10es from warburton, liked it a lot, but didn't want to get going with the whole mouthpiece change mentality. I wish i could have heard Mr Callet, when he was pasting all that high Stuff, but i met him just in the past few years, i think i'm going to give the new one a try though.

regards,

tom
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljazztrm wrote:
Great thread! I agree with many of the posters about Jerry going back to his smaller diameter pieces. About the JAZZ piece. It's actually right around a .600 diameter. Jerry measures further down in the cup than traditional, so his measurements read smaller. The JAZZ is one of the nicest sounding small diameter pieces I know of.

I also dug Jerry's pieces that he made from the 70's on.. My 3 favorites are the JAZZ, the 17S (made by Vladimir Friedman), and the X5. I think the 17S gets the most lead-like sound of all of them. I also liked his SCREAMER piece.. Still, I get the brightest lead sound on my shallower version of the Marcinkiewicz Candoli. For years I have been using 3 different depth tops of the Candoli - deeper, standard, and shallower + the flugel piece. I like to experiment a lot but always come back to these.

It sounds like the new piece is a real winner - All the things us small diameter cats really like. Look fwd to hearing some more feedback from players using them on gigs, sessions, etc. No plans to buy one right now as I am very happy with my Candolis - but maybe in the future:-) All the best, Lex

p.s. - NYCplayer - Greg Black made a killer .590 piece for Mark Chuvala a few years back - another one I'm thinking of getting - real powerhouse piece..bright..loud.. I always look for the brightest, loudest piece I can get and then modify things under the rim to darken things up depending on my playing situation. Have you tried the Candoli 'Cink? Peter Pickett can also make you variations on this.. The rim is super killer comfy and the backbore is a Herrick copy. Although I use the Warburton 'H' on the shallowest piece and a 6* on my deepest Candoli trumpet top (about a Shew 2 depth) and sometimes I partially unscrew it to get some diffuse 'Chetiness' in there...nice!!

p.p.s. - Hey Butch! Good to see you on the TH man:-) Yeah, I would also need the counterpart flugel piece for sure if I was going to get the trumpet..been doing a lot of flugel.. hey, check out 'Instants of Time' Enrique Haneine on youtube - Album we did at Avatar last fall is up there.. Best, Lex

Hello Lex,

haven't seen you post in a while, your the man when it comes to the small stuff. Yeah, I think Mr Callet's New piece is worth a shot for sure.

regards,

tom
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at an ITG show, and there were sommany complaints about Jerry and his booth because he was just so damn loud, double Cs and ads forever.

I think he was asked not to attend for a few years, then I saw him again in Kentucky, at the ITG, and he had to take potential clients to the men's room and a stairwell for his demos. He was just frightening back them.

Jerry has obviously mellowed and he is over 80 now, so his chops aren't what they once were.

I think his trumpets have improved. I played a sima and loved it.

The new piece looks like it should be a winner for those of us accustomed to his smaller hardware from years gone. I really want to play one. And I hope I can get a flugelhorn piece carved out should I indeed dig it
MTBDude

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you guys have seen this but Jim New has the Superchops mouthpieces on his mouthpiece viewer, including the 1SS
http://james-r-new.com/untitled.html
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTBDude wrote:
I'm not sure if you guys have seen this but Jim New has the Superchops mouthpieces on his mouthpiece viewer, including the 1SS

Wow, thanks. Looks freakin awesome
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTBDude wrote:

Wow! I know Jim's a humble guy and everything - but at least he could of given us a 'heads up' on the TH that he had this going! Extremely cool.

It's interesting to overlay Manley's smaller/shallower version of MF's 50's piece with Callet's 1ss. Over the last several years I've experimented with these two designs to see which one gives me more power for high volume lead situations. Currently, I use kind of a combo between both. My Candoli design has a rim very similar to MF 50's (but smaller diameter) and the cup is like a C/V design with a '28' throat.

I'm not sure which gives the most carrying power and brilliance - the MF V bigger throat design or the shallow, flat-bottom/jet-tone/parduba 30 throat design. Obviously, both work very well. It's interesting to note that Roger Ingram has a piece based on 50's MF but with a tight 30 throat and some other modifications. It's a great piece..but I still get the most power on my Candolis.

I've had some Cat mouthpieces in the past and, currently, Trent's 'El Gato' - another powerhouse piece more inline with the new Callet. Wider rim, shallow flat-bottom, 30 throat. Would be interesting to do a test with my Candolis, El Gato, and the new 1ss. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
RogerIngram
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the "Vintage Maynard" mouthpiece I offer comes with a #24 drill. This mouthpiece is an exact duplicate of the Calicchio mouthpiece MF gave me in 1990 and is the one he used during the mid to late 1950s.

My personal V-Cup comes with a #30 drill and is a different mouthpiece altogether.
MY BOOK: http://onetootree.com/Books
FACEBOOK: http://facebook.com/RogerIngramTrumpet
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto - that's what I was referring to Roger - Should of written with more clarity.. I love both those pieces and still am experimenting with the Vintage MF exact dupe of Maynard's old Calicchio - Peter Pickett nailed it on this one for sure! Also I have a flugel version which is beautiful - I've been doing a lot of flugel work lately and switching between the MF and my Candoli flugel piece. Best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerIngram wrote:
Actually, the "Vintage Maynard" mouthpiece I offer comes with a #24 drill. This mouthpiece is an exact duplicate of the Calicchio mouthpiece MF gave me in 1990 and is the one he used during the mid to late 1950s.

I can attest that this mouthpiece is absolutely "killer" and fits my chops like a glove. This piece is so easy to play and I love it. I am also playing around with the Marcinkiewicz Candoli piece at Lex's recommendation and I have never played a more shallow piece. It's like a Shew 1 with a much smaller inner diameter and softer rim. I could dig a Shew 1 at this diameter !!
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece

Last edited by RussellDDixon on Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! You think that's shallow Rusty? I have a shallower version that Cink made custom for someone that I got off ebay several yrs ago. I use it for all loud lead applications without a mic. Still - that's not the shallowest piece I have
Www.LexSamu.com
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerIngram wrote:

My personal V-Cup comes with a #30 drill and is a different mouthpiece altogether.

The Buddy X5 has a #24 and Jerry said that that was modified after he made it and before I bought it. I find that the #24 gives me more overtones and richer sound to hi c/d but the #29 seems better to get to my current limit of hi g, cant make good usable notes above that yet . I am not a mouthpiece person (you know what I mean) and I don't understand why the larger throat would give me a fuller tone, the smaller aperture makes sense. Is there a correlation in throat size and ability to ascend? I was amazed when I found that the sub .600 width cups worked for me with an actual improvement to what I considered good tone on the 7c type cups I played. I also was able to gain my previous range with more quality and less effort. PLEASE answer my question about throat sizes and fullness of tone. I am using new (to me) methods of playing and the range will progress naturally, but I want to maintain the same quality of tone and flexibility as progress up the scale. Very honestly a hi g that is as good and as easily playable as my current hi c would more than enough for anything I will play at age 64. I have a friend and teacher that is in my mind is obsessed by mouthpieces and probably has spent more on them than I have on my 4 very nice horns, I would like to avoid that. So please share your experience on throat size on ascending with tone. I can screech a dbl. e, but since big band is gone, I'm looking for something that still sounds like a full note and doesn't lean out.
Rod
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey rod - I would say it depends on cup shape in relation to a fuller tone. The pure MF 'V' cups do very well with bigger throats (although some like these with tight throats too). Shallow, flat-bottom style pieces with tighter backbores seem to do very well with the tighter 28-31 throats. Also, a general rule seems to be that, the deeper the cup, the larger the throat and backbore - to a certain extent anyway. You can see the Bach 24throat/24backbore to be a standard w many orchestral players. Usually a deeper C cup or B cup. Best. Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger throat lets you blow harder and that can give you an extra note or two in a crunch, like concert time. Unfortunately, the added air pressure brings two additional pressures - rim pressure back against lips to resist the added blow and, vibrating surfaces forward as they fail to fully resist the extra blow. Hence, long term, it's counterproductive for max range and power development. But it's what most everyone does. And numerous teachers actually instruct their students that way.

The bigger hole and added air both work to widen/spread the sound. And that typically sounds bigger to ears behind the horn. But they also decease the density and size of the core of the sound. And that sounds weaker and smaller out front - and typically flat too. Rod, I know you have particularly good trumpet ears. Stand 50 feet back from a solid wall and test the throats, cups, whatever you can. And let us know what you hear.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
Stand 50 feet back from a solid wall and test the throats, cups, whatever you can. And let us know what you hear.

I have a Bach 7c/Shilke 14a4a/Buddy x5/Callet Superchops 3 which from what I see looking into the cups are fairly different animals. The 7c is moderately wide and deep, 14a4a is medium wide and shallow, the Buddy x5 is very narrow and medium deep with a 24 throat, and the Callet 3c seems like the 7c width with a shallow cup. I happen to have just such a wall and I think I can blow loud enough to carry 50 feet. If you guys know enough about the sizes and shapes of the MP, I think I can describe the different sounds I hear and hopefully find a clear winner. Even if the Shilke or Bach have a better sound I wouldn't use them until I had one cut with Jerry's "Charlie Shavers' rim. Which brings up another question. Who would you guys have copy the Buddy x5 for you? Mine is quite worn and a little rough and out of round, and I don't know what I would do if I lostb it so I want to have a couple made. I will report back with what I hear on long tones in 3 octaves, and mp, mf, and forte volumes, which in my thinking should take my feel preferences out of the equation and get it to just sound. Does this sound like a plan?
BTW thanks for responding, you guys help make a greenie like me smarter/better a lot faster than I would be on my own.
Rod
shakuhachi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I lately come back to TCE after switching to cornet a couple of weeks ago using a Bach MT Vernon 12B. I have played mostly MF mouthpieces on trumpet since the last 5 years. I have a huge collection of them and of course the Vintage Maynard too. So I am accustomed around a .600 id so far.

A week ago I stumbled over my Callet Solo mouthpiece again, tried trumpet with it again, an I was surprised. Currently I gave it to plating. But then I was on the track of Callet pieces again an bought a X5 new platet on eBay. This was really a revelation - works better as my MF pieces so far.

Does someone know the difference between "Buddy X5" and "X5" ?

For me I come back to smaller bore/throats and a bit more bite and drop down rims in comparison to the MF pieces and it seems to work great.

And TCE works great as well in this combination....
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shak, I never had a Buddy X5, but I had a standard X5..It was the same diameter as my JAZZ mouthpiece - which feels to be right around .600 on my chops compared to a lot of other .600 diameters I've played. I found the X5 to be a really nice shallower jazz mouthpiece - would be great for soloing in a big band. Not quite the cutting sizzle of other pieces for lead..but certainly does the job for lead too.

I was looking at the scan of Jerry's new 1ss on Jim New's comparator and it looks to be right around .600 as well as far as feel. I'm sure that one is a burning lead piece and probably a great all around brighter jazz and commercial piece.

So if you have the deep JAZZ, the X5, and the 1SS..You've probably got a great combo.

Speaking of .600 diameters..I have a couple of Warburton tops coming.. a 10MCW, and a 10W with a Johnny Hodges underpart (very shallow)...I keep experimenting with the smaller diameter MF designs along with smaller diameter shallow flat-bottom bowl cups.. For my chops, the diameter and rim width are the most important things..Having thin lips, I do very well on wider rims and I've been finding .600 to be a great fit as of late. All the best, Lex
Www.LexSamu.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jerome Callet All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: