• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

ITG 2016 Fanfare with Doc

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Awful Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Jabroni wrote:
This is absolute crap, and the reason I dont go to ITG anymore. Out of tune, bad sounds and terrible time. It is embarrassing.

Totally.

I get it though... ITG is deliberately catering to typical schmo trumpet players because they know they'll shell out big bucks to do this kind of thing. There's less and less enjoyment for seasoned pros.

It never ceases to amaze me regarding the negative attitudes of some of the members here.

I agree. The contempt for learners and the casual players is stupifying. And think about it, this is a forum that largely caters to students, often trying to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Perhaps we should ask the moderators to split the forum down the middle with one section for successful players, and another section for all the rest of us mortals.

There's a stereotype attributed to trumpet players. I hope I never live up to it.

I couldn't agree more about those members who criticize the ITG Conference. But it is not that they have contempt just for learners and casual players. These naysayers seem to hold contempt for the "seasoned pros" as they put it. I would venture to say that those on this post who seem to criticize the ITG Conference have not attended. If they had, they would have seen the large number of "seasoned pros" that were in attendance, unless, of course they consider those of us as being "typical schmo trumpet players" too.

I am sure that suggesting that the forum be split into two sections was figurative and not literal. By splitting the forum, the beginners and casual players would not be privy to the knowledge and experience of "seasoned pros". Likewise, being privy to the questions and experiences of the learners and casual players helps to keep the pros grounded. Of course, all of this requires one to have an open mind and be willing to learn. Clearly, those who have criticized the ITG Conference seem to possess neither quality.
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Awful Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Jabroni wrote:
This is absolute crap, and the reason I dont go to ITG anymore. Out of tune, bad sounds and terrible time. It is embarrassing.

Totally.

I get it though... ITG is deliberately catering to typical schmo trumpet players because they know they'll shell out big bucks to do this kind of thing. There's less and less enjoyment for seasoned pros.

It never ceases to amaze me regarding the negative attitudes of some of the members here.

I agree. The contempt for learners and the casual players is stupifying. And think about it, this is a forum that largely caters to students, often trying to pull themselves up by their own bootstraps. Perhaps we should ask the moderators to split the forum down the middle with one section for successful players, and another section for all the rest of us mortals.

There's a stereotype attributed to trumpet players. I hope I never live up to it.

I couldn't agree more about those members who criticize the ITG Conference. But it is not that they have contempt just for learners and casual players. These naysayers seem to hold contempt for the "seasoned pros" as they put it. I would venture to say that those on this post who seem to criticize the ITG Conference have not attended. If they had, they would have seen the large number of "seasoned pros" that were in attendance, unless, of course they consider those of us as being "typical schmo trumpet players" too.

I am sure that suggesting that the forum be split into two sections was figurative and not literal. By splitting the forum, the beginners and casual players would not be privy to the knowledge and experience of "seasoned pros". Likewise, being privy to the questions and experiences of the learners and casual players helps to keep the pros grounded. Of course, all of this requires one to have an open mind and be willing to learn. Clearly, those who have criticized the ITG Conference seem to possess neither quality.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Awful Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
cheiden wrote:
adagiotrumpet wrote:
Gottfried Reiche wrote:
Jabroni wrote:

Totally.

Indeed, I think cheiden was just being sarcastic with the suggestion of splitting the forum...
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the words of the immortal Sgt. Hulka from " Stripes"....Lighten up Francis.
loudog
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:
In the words of the immortal Sgt. Hulka from " Stripes"....Lighten up Francis.

This. Everyone. Lighten up.
Associate Professor of Music
Hastings College
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snarkiness aside, I'm truly sorry to have missed this in my own backyard. Meeting up with most of the greats of the instrument, nay, in music is a priceless event. I did have the pleasure to meet Michael Sachs through a mutual friend, though, in our old backyard, Westwood, CA. We were neighbors at UCLA and he chose the wrong frat house A new friend wouldn't have happened without the conference.

Enough double negatives. Now everyone go play nice!

ed
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy oh boy oh boy, I heard Arturo Sandoval play some really ugly, out of place, and horridly out of tune high notes! Yes, he's no longer a deity, he's mortal like the rest of us. Now we can all pull out the standard trumpet player "I'm better than you" card even for the greats!
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you guys see the sneak peak for next year's ITG special star guest soloist?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XVdfqEmGb8Y
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Awful Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
Likewise, being privy to the questions and experiences of the learners and casual players helps to keep the pros grounded. Of course, all of this requires one to have an open mind and be willing to learn.

I'm not sure I've made your acquaintance here, but it's a pleasure to meet you! I find your attitude expressed throughout your posts in this thread to be quite refreshing, and a WONDERFUL example of what it means to be a successful trumpet player. I picked this quote here mostly just to identify who I'm responding to, and also because it was a pretty cool thing for you to say.

Personally, I've only attended one ITG conference (2001) and it was unspeakably great. Mainly, the chance to "rub elbows with" many great players, including the guest speakers and performers. Also those that make horns and mpcs., which was a lot of fun to get their take on things.

Thanks for participating here,

Ray (semi-pro, sort of a comeback player, pretty good at some things and not so great at others, putting my pants on one leg at a time and doing the best I can with what I've got, just like most people)
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be clear here. I started the thread about an event I went to and enjoyed (with 349 of my closest friends). It wasn't me that jumped in and bemoaned the downfall of the ITG and how many lousy trumpet players there are and how badly they play. Perhaps it's not me that needs lightening.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Gottfried Reiche
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just point out that the trombones really did it right.

Listen to this...they broke even our record. They sound great (minus some intonation squabbles). This is about the music, not a bunch of meathead trumpet players getting off on their instruments.

Bravo to Joseph Alessi and the trombone festival. I wish the trumpet performance (that I played in) could have been more eloquent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JPh1zMSYLo
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is gorgeous. I'm pretty sure I've ever heard a really large trumpet ensemble that sounds nearly as good. Perhaps it's the nature of the instrument. Perhaps it's the nature of those foolish enough try.

I've acknowledged that all-trumpet ensembles aren't generally my cup of tea either.
Jabroni
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:47 am    Post subject: Yes it is good Reply with quote

The trombones know how to do it! Instead of being so defensive, shut your yap and go practise so you sound good for the next fanfare you play.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about? Out of the 350 players there, I was only one who WAS playing in tune. Just ask the guy standing in front of me. I kid you not, he actually complimented me. Honest.
Stevebrady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was one of the 350 trumpet players at the ITG event and not sure how it sounded from where I was standing, but must say that it was fun to be a part of that group and see Doc. I'm not a professional player, but the ITG Conference was very worthwhile and inspiring for me. Made a few friends, learned a lot and was enjoyed the many great performances motivating me to be a better player. I know it takes a considerable amount of work to organize and put on a conference of this magnitude and I thank the ITG for their efforts.
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh . . . needs more 8va's and shakes. It's a trumpet conference right?!?
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
Eh . . . needs more 8va's and shakes. It's a trumpet conference right?!?

More kiss offs, doits, and hangovers after the cutoff as well.

I salvo enjoy the 2nd and 3rd parts played an octave over the first book. That's always super classy as well.
Chickndinnr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ITG '16 was well worth the money for me. Where else do you get to see/hear Mike Sachs stumble on Bartok CFO multiple times and turn bright red? hehe funny bits aside, I definitely got a lot of inspiration and networking done.

It's exactly like every other conference ever, pick and choose the right sessions for you and take the information you gained with a grain of salt and digest it for later use. I didn't go to the jazz stuff, didn't go to the awards or any of the "entertain-y" stuff like the frenchies dancing around, or the supposedly out-of-tune fanfare. I did go to all the masterclasses, recitals, and other stuff that I planned/wanted to go to. Definitely glad I did that. It was also my second ITG (UMass and now Anaheim)

Side note - I ended up skipping some jazz recital to try out some horns. As I'm walking from a room to another room, I hear the most amazing Miraculous Mandarin excerpt I've ever heard. "Who the f was that?" I thought. I follow the sound, and its behind two closed doors. Some asian kid knocks on the door in front of me and one of the Yamaha techs opens the door slightly to poke his head out and see who it is - I then see Tom Hooten playing the excerpt and shimmy myself in the tiny opening and the tech looks at me puzzled and I just nod to him and give him the "shhhh I'm just listening" face/hand gesture.
As I'm standing there, it's Tom Hooten and Micah Wilkinson (San Diego Symphony) in the Yamaha prototype room with Wayne Tanabe and Bob Malone asking them to try several horns (Bbs, Cs, and a picc) that they've done modifications to. They went through every horn for about an hour total, playing everything from Don Quixote to the Arutunian with them discussing aural concepts and technical changes along the way. Definitely the best fly-on-the-wall experience of my life.
My plan was to check out some horns and then go to the research room....never made it to the research room lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> ITG Conferences All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: