• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Clarke & Claude articles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Clarke & Claude articles Reply with quote

Hi everybody;
Before I head off to ITG, I just found some great articles about HL Clarke and CG that I posted on my site here https://bolvinmusic.com/product/flex-on-the-move/
Also now have the book on that page available in print for those who prefer that.
I will be in Salon 7 during ITG beginning Thursday, so come by and say hi.

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bruce Haag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Eric,

Thanks so much for sending me those 3 articles and for posting them on your website for others to read. Every brass player should read them, preferably more than once! There are great stories here and useful information that is not in "Brass Playing Is No Harder Than Deep Breathing."

For those of you who have not read them yet, there is an article by Claude describing what it was like studying with Herbert Clarke, an article by Carl Leach describing some of his experiences studying with Claude, and an article by Tony Horowitz recounting how Claude saved his trumpet playing career. Carl and Tony are both fantastic trumpet players.

All 3 articles contain valuable wisdom, and deserve contemplation. There is much to learn from them.

I introduced Carl Leach to Claude back in 1972. Carl began accompanying me on my monthly pilgrimages from the Bay Area to Los Angeles to get lessons from Claude. I had lived in LA for several years and had been studying weekly with Claude, but after my family moved to the Bay Area I could only see Claude once a month.

I'd get up early at 2:00 am, drive to Claude's studio in Reseda for a 9:00 am Friday morning lesson, have breakfast with Claude, and drive back to the Bay area. (I couldn't survive that now!) Then Claude would fly home to Big Bear Lake in his Cessna, Friday being the end of his teaching week.

I met Carl at a local college band room. He heard me doing my Gordon routines and was intrigued by the Systematic Approach. So he asked if he could come with me to LA and get lessons too. It all worked out and on his third lesson with Mr. Gordon, Carl was able to get Claude to demonstrate something for him. I never had the boldness to ask Claude to play for me, but Carl wasn't shy about that sort of thing at all. It's a great story, so read it.

Carl played 1st Trumpet at the Flamingo Hotel on a very tough production show for 11 years or so. He got to where he was doing his entire practice routine before going in to play the show. It was 2 shows a night, 6 nights a week. That show alone and others like it have caused many players to crash and burn, yet here was Carl doing all his routines and then going in to play the shows. Pretty remarkable player. I believe that the Brass Camps were originally Carl's idea too. He tells me "It's all your fault!" but Carl deserves the credit for coming up with the idea for the Camps.

Carl's comments about how neurotic trumpet players can be is very funny and yet so true! Do not miss that part! Carl told me last year that he wanted these stories shared online and had put them in an email to me, but I lost them in a hard drive crash. (I know, back up, back up) So thanks again Eric, glad you found them in that magazine.

Bruce
Authorized Kanstul Musical Instruments dealer
15 year student of Claude Gordon
Claude Gordon Certified Teacher
Skype Lessons
Formerly with Stan Kenton
Elvis Presley - Las Vegas Shows
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, i have read on TH somewhere that Claude would assign Clarke at least 6 months of each year, so i guess to the guys that studied with him for a few years, i am curious as to what method books Claude assigned and used when you were having a break from Clarke' technical?

Cheers
EricV
EBjazz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of my lessons. Some have Clarke, others not. I think what you read was that some of us would work up to playing almost the entire Clarke book on alternate days. It would take 6 months or so to work up to this.

https://bolvinmusic.com/review-classic-claude-gordon-trumpet-lessons/

Eb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
EricV
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks EB for the info.

EricV
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: