• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Austin Custom Brass MV 1.25C

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Austin Custom Brass MV 1.25C Reply with quote

Just picked up an ACB Mount Vernon 1.25C copy. Absolutely in love. I have several mouthpieces with similar specs, and this one is currently my go-to.

Really nice balance, huge sound, very efficient.

In full disclosure, these guys are a dealer of ours! That said, we don't ever post reviews of products, in fact this is the first! That's how much I like this thing.

Best,

Tom
www.BrassChats.com
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. That particular mouthpiece has been on my radar to try out for a while. Is the Throat/Backbore opened up or fairly stock? I'm wanting something for both my Bb and C.

I've noticed on Trent's site it says:
Quote:
"MV 1 1/4C: This is my modernized take on this classic mouthpiece. I match this piece with my O backbone and a slightly enlarged throat and throat entrance. It plays incredibly well and also has a very "classic" sound!"

I should probably ask him, but never got around to it; maybe I will now!

Also, which blank did you try?
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a ACB MV1.25C in my collection and use it fairly often, next to the ACB 1.5B and ACB MV3C.

I had tried a GR 66L for a while, but I much prefer the ACB MV1.25C. It responds faster and has a 'fatter' sound with plenty of overtones.
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Thanks for posting. That particular mouthpiece has been on my radar to try out for a while. Is the Throat/Backbore opened up or fairly stock? I'm wanting something for both my Bb and C.

I've noticed on Trent's site it says:
Quote:
"MV 1 1/4C: This is my modernized take on this classic mouthpiece. I match this piece with my O backbone and a slightly enlarged throat and throat entrance. It plays incredibly well and also has a very "classic" sound!"

I should probably ask him, but never got around to it; maybe I will now!

Also, which blank did you try?

Don't know a lot about it specs-wise, but he said they made it based off of the best qualities of two original MV mpcs. that they scanned. Trent told me to get the traditional blank so I did.

Just went through a pretty aggressive search for mpcs around this size and ended up with the ACB, a Shires 1.25C, and a Parke 650/275 (the best out of many things I tried). So far the ACB is #1 in my bag, Shires is a close second (fantastic mpc), and Parke isn't getting me the sound I need just yet, but it's also really good.

Quick disclaimer though - haven't tried these thoroughly on C yet - been playing a ton of Bb lately.
www.BrassChats.com
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I sent an email to the ACB shop also earlier. I moved down from 1C sized pieces and I've also tried a bunch of stuff (too much!) in the 1.25-1.5 size. The 1.25ish diameter seems to be really working for me, and this piece has been on my radar since I first saw it on Trent's site.

I saw a picture of one somewhere a while back that showed the inside of the cup (can't remember where now, and can't find it again) and the throat entrance is very open, almost like a small double cup, which is just exactly how the one and only Bach Mt. Vernon 1-1/4 I've ever had in my hands was.

I'm pretty sure I'd want the traditional blank also.

Anyway, thanks again for replying back (and for mentioning it to remind me to check it out)!
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:

a Shires 1.25C...Shires is a close second (fantastic mpc)

Tom, did you have to open the Shires 1.25C up to get it working well? I've tried a couple, and only in stock form, and they seemed very tight or compressed compared to some other 1.25c iterations I've had.

Does anyone know what the backbore of the Shires 1.25c is? I know the throat is ~27.

~A
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Monster Oil wrote:

a Shires 1.25C...Shires is a close second (fantastic mpc)

Tom, did you have to open the Shires 1.25C up to get it working well? I've tried a couple, and only in stock form, and they seemed very tight or compressed compared to some other 1.25c iterations I've had.

Does anyone know what the backbore of the Shires 1.25c is? I know the throat is ~27.

~A

Didn't touch it - just stock. I've drilled a million mouthpieces in my day, but I've always found the best-designed ones are made with the proper throat already.

Not sure about consistency on Shires mpcs., I've only tried one - but it's a very well-balanced mouthpiece with a lot of action in the sound. Lot of fun to play. Also no clue about the backbore specs on this one.
www.BrassChats.com
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:

Didn't touch it - just stock. I've drilled a million mouthpieces in my day, but I've always found the best-designed ones are made with the proper throat already.

I'm beginning to feel the same way. That is one thing I've learned from some of my recent experiments. As long as it's open enough for me to get the right sound, and has good intonation on both my Bb & C, that's what I care the most about now.

If the ACB MV 1.25 has a more-open-than-a-stock-1-1/4 blow along with the huge sound that Tom describes in his first post, it might work well for me!
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
Monster Oil wrote:

I'm beginning to feel the same way. That is one thing I've learned from some of my recent experiments. As long as it's open enough for me to get the right sound, and has good intonation on both my Bb & C, that's what I care the most about now.

If the ACB MV 1.25 has a more-open-than-a-stock-1-1/4 blow along with the huge sound that Tom describes in his first post, it might work well for me!

People talk about an open blow and how important that is - I think you just have to strike the right balance between throat/backbore/gap/horn so that when they are all in harmony it feels like a great blow.

So as far as being a more open than stock 1.25 blow - yeah, a current 1.25 feels pretty tight, but a 1.25 in 1955 felt very different. Even on a 27 hole mouthpiece, I think if it's designed correctly the feel can be great.

Dunno if that makes any sense - I'm in the thick of editing our Dave Krauss Brass Chat for tomorrow and starting to fade....
www.BrassChats.com
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:
I'm in the thick of editing our Dave Krauss Brass Chat for tomorrow ....

This is the most important thing
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster Oil wrote:
Not sure about consistency on Shires mpcs...

Made by Pickett, so I bet they're consistent. I think both I played were the same, probably just me at that time and in comparison to the modern Bach 1 1/4C I have. Different is all.

Thanks for the feedback on the MV 1.25c. I know several folks who've been using them for a couple years with success. I tried a ACB 1.25 ORCH for a short while and it wasn't a good fit for me, so I never had the inclination to try the MV 1.25c. A friend popped one in the mail for me to try though - looking forward to it.

I have precisely one Bach 1.25C that works for me, and it's not easy to find another. Hopefully the ACB is a good option.

~A
Monster Oil
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Monster Oil wrote:
Not sure about consistency on Shires mpcs...

Made by Pickett, so I bet they're consistent. I think both I played were the same, probably just me at that time and in comparison to the modern Bach 1 1/4C I have. Different is all.

Thanks for the feedback on the MV 1.25c. I know several folks who've been using them for a couple years with success. I tried a ACB 1.25 ORCH for a short while and it wasn't a good fit for me, so I never had the inclination to try the MV 1.25c. A friend popped one in the mail for me to try though - looking forward to it.

I have precisely one Bach 1.25C that works for me, and it's not easy to find another. Hopefully the ACB is a good option.

~A

Love to hear your thoughts when you get it. Please post....
www.BrassChats.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: