• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why do I play better on an old cornet?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Why do I play better on an old cornet? Reply with quote

I'm a little frustrated, and hoping that someone out there has had a similar experience and can offer some guidance.

I have two horns. One is a Bach 37 with a valve alignment and no damage. The other is a 1945 Conn 12A cornet that has, I assume from the solder marks, had some serious repair work done to the bell and the valves are visibly out of alignment.

I rarely play the 12A, but picked it up tonight just for fun. I found that the partials (C-G-C-E-G) were closer together and easier to get around, and when I went to play above the staff, it was noticeably easier and I had a bigger sound.

My beat up old cornet should not be easier to play than my $2000 Strad... and yet... here we are.

I played both with a Bach 3C, by the way, so we are comparing apples to apples.

So what's happening? Why does the cornet work better for me? Is it the larger bore (the 12A has a .468" bore)? Is it the smaller leadpipe venturi? Both?

And given what I have found with the 12A, is there a modern trumpet out there that would be a better fit for me than the Bach?

So tired of feeling like I am fighting the horn...

Thanks for any advice.
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, picking up a "new" horn (any horn that isn't the horn I play most of the time) is that way. It seems great and wonderful. If you played on that horn exclusively for a few days and then went back to your normal horn ..... the "new" one will feel crappy (if it was crappy to begin with) and your great normal horn will seem like a million bucks. Just my experience.
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

There is a famous letter written to Elden Benge by Herbert L. Clarke saying that the trumpet will never replace the cornet, as the cornet is vastly superior instrument, or something like that.

That being said, I have found that there is at least one trumpet that feels like it works with you and not against you. Others definitely feel good, even great, but over a long day of playing, the Flip Oakes Wild Thing gets you to the end of the gig better.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relax, go with what works.... Who cares how things should be.......

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought about this for a long time. I'll tell you this, you're not crazy. There is something about the cornet that is easier to get an acceptable sound and navigate one's useable range with more ease.

Honestly, I think what matters most in this regard is the mental aspect of playing. I think there's something about the cornet that allows one to release their "mental trumpet baggage" - making it easier to relax and focus on music instead of the mechanics of playing.

The bell is also closer to your head, making it easier to hear yourself. Also, the shorter shank effects resistance and blow.

All that said, I do think that playing the cornet can open up one's playing on the big horn. Again, I don't know why exactly, but that's been my experience.
amzi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was beginner "everyone" started on a cornet. Well, one guy had a trumpet, but he didn't last long. Anyway, the conventional wisdom was that cornets were easier to play better sooner. Once we got to high school some of the section gravitated to trumpets, but even more just kept playing their old cornets. I no longer have the Getzen Super Deluxe cornet I started on, and I don't want another one, but I sure like my Recording. Over the years I've had several cornets and they are always fun to play. There is such a velvety richness about the sound. I don't play my Recording cornet much in public, but it's always on a stand in my practice room. So, you're not crazy, you're just experiencing the joy of playing a cornet.
Bach Stradivarius Bass Trumpet
Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
Yamaha 610 Eb/D Trumpet
Kanstul 920 Picc.
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, lots of reasons the cornet might play better. Larger bore, different leadpipe, different mpc gap, shorter mpc (less resistance), cornet having more flexibility (due to more conical tubing?), etc. There's also a possibility that the Bach 37 is not a great instrument itself or isn't tuned up well.

I don't find this hard to fathom at all...might have a tech look at the Bach...
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach 37 vs. a Conn 12A? And the Conn plays better?

Duh!

https://cderksen.home.xs4all.nl/Conn12A1940image.html
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice something like that when I play cornet. They have a different response and blow that makes it easier to get around in the middle and low register compared to trumpet. I suppose it's something to do with the wrap and rate of taper that makes the instrument feel more responsive and nimble.

I find trumpet easier to play above the staff than cornet. For me, trumpets speak more readily, as long as I'm playing with enough support, where cornets start to fight back. I play a cornet mouthpiece with a deeper cup, though, and I think that's some of the difference.

You might play test other trumpets to see if there's something easier to play and that you like. My Xeno is easier to play than my Bach 37, but it still plays like a trumpet. Unless there's something amiss, though, you might find that your Bach 37 is fine in trumpet terms.
Piccolo Stomvi
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These two play exactly the same.

That said, the Bach probably just doesn't fit you as well as the cornet does. I suppose there wouldn't be a host of people building a better Bach than Bach does if they were superior instruments.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far. Regarding the "bell is closer to your ears" thing: it's not just that I can hear myself better or it sounds better to me (it does), but it is physically less work to get up to the G on top of the staff.

I do find it more difficult on the 12A to get down to pp volume without the tone cracking up. But like I said, the valves on my 12A are visibly out of alignment, so I would get that fixed before passing judgement.

Last edited by jadickson on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
scipioap
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:
These two play exactly the same.

Tom

Nice horns, Tom! I'm curious what's been your experience with this cornet?...

Vintage Buescher Cornet Model 264 “Custom Built Aristocrat” Duo-Cup MP & Case
1963 Martin Committee #3
1962 Martin Committee Cornet #3
1961 Martin Custom Committee C
1941 Martin HC Committee #2
1945 Martin Committee #2
1942 Martin HC Committee Cornet
1941 Martin IBICO Indiana
2012 Kanstul 1525 SLB
1977 Olds CT Flugel
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far. Regarding the "bell is closer to your ears" thing: it's not just that I can hear myself better or it sounds better to me (it does), but it is physically less work to get up to the G on top of the staff.

Could it be because you're not blowing so hard?

Edited for double negative.

Last edited by Mike Sailors on Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:

Could it not be because you're not blowing so hard?

You're right, I am not blowing as hard on the 12A. Don't need to.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I feel that I'm struggling to get around on the trumpet, I set aside some time during my next practice to play some of the easier Bai Lin flexibility exercises (group 2 or 3) with a nice, easy, relaxed approach. It always seems to do the trick for me.
Piccolo Stomvi
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:

Could it not be because you're not blowing so hard?

You're right, I am not blowing as hard on the 12A. Don't need to.

I think this speaks to the mental baggage aspect of trumpet as well. We all have some - and some definitely have more than others (myself included).
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
I've thought about this for a long time. I'll tell you this, you're not crazy. There is something about the cornet that is easier to get an acceptable sound and navigate one's useable range with more ease.

Honestly, I think what matters most in this regard is the mental aspect of playing. I think there's something about the cornet that allows one to release their "mental trumpet baggage" - making it easier to relax and focus on music instead of the mechanics of playing.

The bell is also closer to your head, making it easier to hear yourself. Also, the shorter shank effects resistance and blow.

All that said, I do think that playing the cornet can open up one's playing on the big horn. Again, I don't know why exactly, but that's been my experience.

+1
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think that the cornet can be perceived as easier to play. I have always thought that some of it was due to the cornet's physical design and blowing characteristics.

Regardless, I can relate the original post. Having been primarily a trumpet player, any time I have had the opportunity to pick up a cornet, I have often had similar thoughts.....assuming the trumpet was a decent trumpet and the cornet was a decent cornet.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:

I do find it more difficult on the 12A to get down to pp volume without the tone cracking up. But like I said, the valves on my 12A are visibly out of alignment, so I would get that fixed before passing judgement.

Been playing cornet all my life, now since 58 years; most of the time Getzen Eterna(started out on english contraptions, Besson, Imperials etc.). Late sixties I began blowing in bigbands. My cornet-sound just did not penetrate enough - well initially we had one trumpet,my cornet, one trombone and three saxes, sousaphone etc. But later on I realised that the cornet just did not live up to the over-all sound demanded by the music (swingstandards period -30 - 45). Brass band was my main milieau. At one occasion I was required to perform the allegro of the Hummel trumpet concerto; began with my King trumpet, rather soft sounding but I could not attain that "velocity" and agility as I could with the cornet.
Today same trumpet but a Getzen Custom series cornet. However my way of blowing these two fine horn differs a lot as "default". Playing lead in a modern big band demands a very open, broad penetrating sound (well within certain limits). But and that is important, I can try blow my trumpet the cornet way making the sound darker, more focused, more cantabile. The classical trumpet sound - as i.e in Hayden.
I find it far more easy to play tricky, technically passages on the cornet. Feels a lot faster.
The other day I tested a Hub van den Laar trumpet; a tremendeous response, felt really "fast". Gave me a feeling of being rather like a cornet when it comes to response.
Summarizing my jabber I think the cornet' s generally more responsive, quicker
more "agiile". For my part I feel a better player with the cornet....
amateur as I am
So I am not surprised reading about your experiences.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Justin

This in my opinion could be owing to a few things.

One is resistance. I personally feel that there is a difference in where I feel the resistance between my Xeno Cornet/previous Sovereign cornet and my Bach 184ML cornet/trumpets. I feel resistance further down with the Xeno/Sovereign, somewhere around the location of the valve block, whereas the resistance seems to be at the mouthpiece end with my Bach Cornet and trumpets. My Bach cornet and trumpets have a gap between the end of the mouthpiece and start of the leadpipe., and I presume that this is what I am feeling. I have no idea whether the 12A cornet has a gap.

I believe that the wrap of a cornet adds to the resistance, as does presumably the narrower diameter at the start of the leadpipe.I personally feel that my 0.470" I believe bored Xeno cornet has more resistance than my 0.459" bored Bach trumpet.

I however feel that the fact that your cornet is harder to play at quieter dynamics may be counter-indicative of it having more resistance than your trumpet, but I would have thought that the valves being misaligned would increase the resistance, and level things up.

In my opinion, cornets are more agile then trumpets and seem easier on which to play things like the carnival of Venice.and I personally feel that there seems to be more upper register support on cornets between G at the top of the stave and high C, but that above high C the cornet is more likely to shut down on you if you use too much air, and that the trumpet has a more open upper register.

Maybe the Conn 12A cornet is simply easier to play then a Bach 37 trumpet, and there are too many variables to ascertain why.

It may be that there are some small issues with your Bach 37 that could be improved by a good tech.

Take care

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: