• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

WW&BW QUESTION

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
maynard-46
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: WW&BW QUESTION Reply with quote

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum but since it has to do with a trumpet I figured I'd post here!!

About a year or so ago (I think) there was quite a long thread on TH regarding someone (s) having a problem with WW&BW customer service and I think it was regarding a trumpet that someone received from them that was clearly a used horn but WW&BW insisted on charging them full price. The thread was finally answered but a female manager of the Customer Service Dept. where she gave her name and extension phone number and she said anyone with a problem to contact here personally and she would make sure that the problem was resolved.

Since my computer skills are VERY limited I can't seem to find that thread!!!!

DOES ANYONE...OR...CAN ANYONE...FIND THAT THREAD...OR HAVE THE CONTACT INFO FOR THE LADY AT WW&BW???? IT WOULD BE A TREMENDOUS HELP TO ME!!!

Long story short...I received a Schilke B7 from them that plays great however it has MULTIPLE scratches on the bell...came in a dilapidated Schilke box...the horn was just floating around in the box and not secured down...had a sticker denoting they received it on 4?15/15...had wear on the valves...so, basically it was a USED horn...NOT brand new. When I complained they asked me for pictures. I, in turn, send them FOURTEEN (14) pictures showing all of the scratches, the box, etc., etc., etc.

BOTTOM LINE...they insulted me by offering me a $50 CREDIT with their store. I told them that that was absolutely ridiculous as they're trying to charge me a new price for a used horn!!! Also...on their site they selling USED/BLEMISHED Schilkes...WITH PICS...for $1849-$1949.00 and the B7 they sent me looks EXACTLY like the USED ones on their site...and looks EXACTLY like the pics I sent them of this trumpet!!

If any of you could help me with the info I requested earlier or have any suggestions/solutions, etc. I'd REALLY appreciate it. I'm fully aware that the bottom line is: if I like the horn THAT much I basically have no other option but to pay their NEW price for a USED horn....OR...return the horn and start looking AGAIN. I've been playing primarily Schilke trumpets since 1969 and I have to say that this particular B7 is definitely one of the BEST Schilkes I've ever played!!

I thank you all for listening to my rant and for any comments you may post!!

Butch
TRUMPE: YAMAHA Lacq. "Shew Gen II" / Legends .585 "CatMaster" Top / KT "TKO" BB / Reeves #5.75 Sleeve.
FLUGELHORN: ADAMS Custom "F1" / Legends .585 "CatMaster FL.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one? http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=139311&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Go to Google and enter the following, site:trumpetherald.com ~wwbw
Bigelow-Kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: WWBW Reply with quote

I can help you for future transactions -- call Thompson Music in Omaha. They're a Schilke dealer and will give you a great deal, superb service, and try and scam you.
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: WWBW Reply with quote

Bigelow-Kid wrote:
I can help you for future transactions -- call Thompson Music in Omaha. They're a Schilke dealer and will give you a great deal, superb service, and try and scam you.

I think you mean they won't scam you?

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWBW is a virus that has infected and almost destroyed the music instrument sales industry.

They one by one knocked out the small businesses in America, and replaced them with a lousy internet company, big business, borderline monopoly.

The super conglomerate Guitar Center owns just about all of the band and orchestra business between, WWBW, Music 123, Music and Arts Centers 100+ locations, and warehouses, shipping hubs, and jerk off phone sales teams.

I understand manufacturers need to make a buck, and WWBW is I'm sure their biggest accounts, but I'd love nothing more than to see Guirar Center crumble and get back to small business basics.
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would remind them of this - 45 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

https://www.wwbw.com/Support-Center-Home-g27517t0.wwbw#TabtoAcc-Base4

"New Gear: If you’re not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase of a new item, simply return it in its original condition within 45 days of purchase (see exceptions below) and we’ll give you a full refund. It’s that simple."
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: WW&BW QUESTION Reply with quote

maynard-46 wrote:
(WWBW shenanigans)

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I'm a little surprised that you ordered from WWBW after you've clearly read at least one - if not many - threads about their customer service. I've added my own experiences - less expensive than yours - in previous threads. This sort of thing is not an isolated incident. They fill orders haphazardly - the guys in the warehouse probably just grab a horn, pay no attention to whether it's exactly the right thing, whether it's used or new or what condition it's in, toss it in a box sans packing and away it goes. Customer service then just offers the same bad deals that you got and that's what you get.

You might be able to haggle, whine or demand something better. It will take time and you might not be successful.

I really don't understand the outrage here. It's like sticking your hand in the lion cage holding a raw steak. It's surprising if you don't get at least scratched.

Every order from there is a roll of the dice. Seriously. You have to be willing to risk getting absolutely nothing when you order from there. You rolled and lost, though not too badly (not good either, but at least you didn't get a plastic ukulele). You're not the first, you probably won't be the last. I hope it's resolved, at least to the point were you get your money back or a satisfactory horn.

RussellDDixon wrote:
I would remind them of this - 45 Day Satisfaction Guarantee

https://www.wwbw.com/Support-Center-Home-g27517t0.wwbw#TabtoAcc-Base4

"New Gear: If you’re not satisfied, neither are we. If for any reason you’re not completely satisfied with your purchase of a new item, simply return it in its original condition within 45 days of purchase (see exceptions below) and we’ll give you a full refund. It’s that simple."

Worth a shot.

Then:
Bigelow-Kid wrote:
I can help you for future transactions -- call Thompson Music in Omaha. They're a Schilke dealer and will give you a great deal, superb service, and [won't] try and scam you.

A much better idea. Support retailers that actually care about their customers. WWBW is not one. You might pay slightly more, but you'll actually get good service - not to mention what you actually pay for. Less hassle and you're supporting the good guys instead of enabling the scam artists/large corporate entities or whatever.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:
WWBW is a virus that has infected and almost destroyed the music instrument sales industry.

They one by one knocked out the small businesses in America, and replaced them with a lousy internet company, big business, borderline monopoly.

The super conglomerate Guitar Center owns just about all of the band and orchestra business between, WWBW, Music 123, Music and Arts Centers 100+ locations, and warehouses, shipping hubs, and jerk off phone sales teams.

I understand manufacturers need to make a buck, and WWBW is I'm sure their biggest accounts, but I'd love nothing more than to see Guirar Center crumble and get back to small business basics.

Man, I could not agree more; WWBW has degraded from a great source (at least back in the 80's, when they still had a physical store in South Bend) into a shabbily run outfit with pathetic customer service, multiple stupid mistakes in shipping and ignorant phone "sales people." It's a real shame.

Brad
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYC-player wrote:

It all evens out in the end (and I think that end is coming closer as Guitar Center continues to circle the drain).

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2015/05/11/more-evidence-of-big-changes-coming-to-guitar-center/
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hassle with WWBW when I bought my Schilke E3L-4 from them in 2004. It arrived with the 4th slide tubing very slightly canted upward such that the 4th Slide came in contact with the bell rim as it was pulled all the way out. WWBW claimed it was UPS's fault (they claimed the horn was fine when shipped - right....). They further claimed that I should have filed an immediate complaint with UPS (but I didn't realize there was a problem until I attempted to take the 4th slide all the way out a while after receiving the horn). There was no damage to the shipping box and it is clear to me that the horn was either damaged while in stock at WWBW or it was built that way by Schilke (not likely).

I took the horn to Schilke and they said they could straighten it, but in doing so it might warp the 4th valve cylinder necessitating re-doing the 4th valve (a multi-hundred dollar repair). Schilke wouldn't honor the warranty on it because they claimed (most likely rightfully) that this was damage after they had shipped the horn to the WWBW.

In the end, I carefully adjusted the 4th valve slide tubing myself with no collateral damage to the the fourth valve and the horn is perfect.

And I learned my lesson. I have not, nor will I ever purchase an instrument from WWBW, or any similar conglomerate again. Al Cass Valve oil in shipments of 10 bottles or so at a time? Sure. But for instruments, I will only deal with a real music store now.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
I had a hassle with WWBW when I bought my Schilke E3L-4 from them in 2004. It arrived with the 4th slide tubing very slightly canted upward such that the 4th Slide came in contact with the bell rim as it was pulled all the way out. WWBW claimed it was UPS's fault (they claimed the horn was fine when shipped - right....). They further claimed that I should have filed an immediate complaint with UPS (but I didn't realize there was a problem until I attempted to take the 4th slide all the way out a while after receiving the horn). There was no damage to the shipping box and it is clear to me that the horn was either damaged while in stock at WWBW or it was built that way by Schilke (not likely).

I took the horn to Schilke and they said they could straighten it, but in doing so it might warp the 4th valve cylinder necessitating re-doing the 4th valve (a multi-hundred dollar repair). Schilke wouldn't honor the warranty on it because they claimed (most likely rightfully) that this was damage after they had shipped the horn to the WWBW.

In the end, I carefully adjusted the 4th valve slide tubing myself with no collateral damage to the the fourth valve and the horn is perfect.

And I learned my lesson. I have not, nor will I ever purchase an instrument from WWBW, or any similar conglomerate again. Al Cass Valve oil in shipments of 10 bottles or so at a time? Sure. But for instruments, I will only deal with a real music store now.

Sincerely,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested

I had a similar experience with WWBW, a Yamaha 8310 arrived with a BADLY dented bell crook, luckily I noticed it immediately (you could hardly miss it...which I pointed out to them; no way could it have happened in shipping, unless a UPS guy took it out of the case, dropped it and then sealed it back up...pretty improbable). Even so, it took numerous phone calls to finally get a WWBW manager to accept the return.

Brad
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In John's case I can understand a little skepticism by WWBW about how the instrument got damaged since he didn't report immediately.
John Mohan wrote:
They further claimed that I should have filed an immediate complaint with UPS (but I didn't realize there was a problem until I attempted to take the 4th slide all the way out a while after receiving the horn

After reading this thread anyone receiving a shipped instrument should thoroughly check the outside of the package and if there is damage take pictures before opening. File an immediate claim.

Then open the package and thoroughly inspect the instrument for damage or defects. Again, take pictures, file immediately.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
In John's case I can understand a little skepticism by WWBW about how the instrument got damaged since he didn't report immediately.
John Mohan wrote:
They further claimed that I should have filed an immediate complaint with UPS (but I didn't realize there was a problem until I attempted to take the 4th slide all the way out a while after receiving the horn

After reading this thread anyone receiving a shipped instrument should thoroughly check the outside of the package and if there is damage take pictures before opening. File an immediate claim.

Then open the package and thoroughly inspect the instrument for damage or defects. Again, take pictures, file immediately.

That's all great advice, but you're (wrongly) assuming that WWBW gives a damn.

Send them all the pictures you want (I have) and they'll just say "How about $50 of store credit?" You might be able to work your way to a better offer, but it will take lots and lots of work on the phones and email. That's what they're counting on to make you go away.

Still, it's definitely worth doing. A better plan is do that, but also order from a better store that actually cares about customers. You're less likely to get a used/damaged horn, one that's been sent with zero packing, or just a random box of guitar string, picks, and capos instead of a C trumpet. Dillon Music, Washington Music, Thompson Music, they'll actually try to send you the right thing, in the appropriate condition, in a properly packed box.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:
John Mohan wrote:

That's all great advice, but you're (wrongly) assuming that WWBW gives a damn.

Send them all the pictures you want (I have) and they'll just say "How about $50 of store credit?" You might be able to work your way to a better offer, but it will take lots and lots of work on the phones and email. That's what they're counting on to make you go away.

Still, it's definitely worth doing. A better plan is do that, but also order from a better store that actually cares about customers. You're less likely to get a used/damaged horn, one that's been sent with zero packing, or just a random box of guitar string, picks, and capos instead of a C trumpet. Dillon Music, Washington Music, Thompson Music, they'll actually try to send you the right thing, in the appropriate condition, in a properly packed box.

My advice will work fine as long as you don't intend on keeping the purchase. If they push back simply contact your credit card company. With pictures to back up your story you will almost always win.

However, if like the OP or yourself, you are willing to keep the damaged purchase, then yes you will need to convince them to give you a discount.

And I agree with purchasing from a dependable music company. I have dealt with Mike at Thompson music in person and over the phone and can recommend him highly.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
My advice will work fine as long as you don't intend on keeping the purchase. If they push back simply contact your credit card company. With pictures to back up your story you will almost always win.

However, if like the OP or yourself, you are willing to keep the damaged purchase, then yes you will need to convince them to give you a discount.

And I agree with purchasing from a dependable music company. I have dealt with Mike at Thompson music in person and over the phone and can recommend him highly.

Fair enough. I'll admit I hadn't tried using a credit card company as leverage. It's certainly worth a shot.

When I got my Besson 709, it came in plastic bag inside a box. My DVDs and books from Amazon come with 4X as much packing (not that they need it). Not surprisingly, it had a dent in the bell bow. I could have returned it, but it was on clearance for a song. I don't remember what I got out of them, it wasn't much and it cost about $40-60 to get fixed, I think. It was about 8 years ago, I don't remember exactly.

From what I've read in threads like this, it's not surprising they have lots of B-stock inventory that they're selling. They don't pack anything properly, so I'm sure a fair amount gets returned and then they turn around and sell it for less and the cycle continues.

It'll be a better day for music merchants and customers when they (along with their other different named affiliates) go under for good.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
BrassTonics

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a student etude from them on eBay before and it came bent and the return process took 2 weeks in order to get my refund back. Waste of time.
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:47 pm    Post subject: Deleted Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Harry Hilgers on Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: