• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marketplace seller ArtDeco

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:08 pm    Post subject: Marketplace seller ArtDeco Reply with quote

I've been a member of this and the Trumpetmaster forum for years and this is the first time I've been scammed.

I recently purchased a 1942 Conn 22B New York Symphony Special from TH member ArtDeco (Jonathan Porham), which he advertised on the TH marketplace.

I sent the money on Sunday, July 17. He said that he would send it USPS Priority and would send the tracking number to me. I have not heard from him since. No sign of the package either.

I noticed that a couple of days later, he pulled his other ads he had on the marketplace (I remember that one of them was for a Courtois trumpet) and created another ArtDeco name on Trumpetmaster. He has repeatedly refused to answer any of my emails or PMs.

The email that he gave for me to use in the transaction is gtran647@gmail.com. A search of that email pulled up a post that he made under the Trumpetmaster name CompleteRookie. It appears that some other people have had unfortunate dealings with him under that name.

I should have been way more careful and not purchased anything from anyone so new to the forum (I think he has just five posts). Plus, I was stupid enough to send him the payment as a "friends and family" option (per his request). So, hey--I deserved getting took. Lesson learned.

However, I just wanted to warn anyone else away from this person if he shows up with anything else to sell. And keep in mind that he is also on the Trumpetmaster site under the ArtDeco name too.

I hate having to write a post like this, but just couldn't stand by any longer.

Dave Brewer
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the "5 posts and done" people just aren't to be trusted.

I've made many purchases here on TH, and have sold a bunch of items as well, and I've only had excellent experiences.

For any purchase more than a hundred bucks, I insist on a personal phone call. You can tell pretty quickly if someone is 1) a trumpet player, and 2) is legit, by chatting some trumpet with them on the phone. I actually declined to purchase an instrument I wanted because I got a sketchy vibe on the phone - they couldn't answer trumpet-related questions right away, and they didn't pick up some trumpet player "inside jokes" immediately, which I thought wasn't right.

Anyway, I'm sorry you got scammed. Perhaps the scumbag that burned you will see the light and make good on his promise.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's a regular on TM whose ethics have been questionable in the past (see these threads):

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/completerookie-dear-clark-84026.html
http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f131/calling-out-completerookie-84023.html
http://www.trumpetmaster.com/vb/f140/another-case-84664.html

You may still get your money back.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't hate writing this post at all. You're doing a service for everyone.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Fuzzy Dunlop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear this, man. On another note, it really irks me when people ask to be sent funds via paypal with the "friends and family" option. So many things wrong with that.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
Thanks for the heads up. Sorry to hear this, man. On another note, it really irks me when people ask to be sent funds via paypal with the "friends and family" option. So many things wrong with that.

It's a violation of the paypal user agreement, and it's fraud. It's unfortunate that the TH marketplace allows ads that clearly ask for the buyer to participate in this dishonest scam. It can be used to cheat paypal out of the service charge, and it's convenient to protect scam "sellers" from having to make good on the deal.

Anyone requiring, or even requesting, paypal friends and family payment for a purchase, is dishonest,.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Hzinno
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Scammed by Jonathon Porham as well Reply with quote

I am actively trying to find out who this guy is as I have been scammed as well. Sent him money for a horn and the rest is history. He is using paypal to steal yet Paypal will not divulge his identity and so far neither will Trumpet herald. Any help in identifying him is much appreciated.

Thanks
Hz
Kanstul 1503 c
LA Benge Pic
Tony Scodwell Flugel
1957 Conn Customized Valve Trombone
Getzen Eterna Cornet
French Besson Meha
Tony Scodwell Boston Bflat
Jay2015trumpet

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was waiting on payment from this character for a Buescher Super 400 too. It's been over two weeks. His other aliases include Gary Tran and Jazz Addict. His google profile suggests he's from Brooklyn, NY. The guy generally writes like a rude New Yorker, very off the cuff, so that might help someone in finding out any other names he goes by. Thanks for the heads up, OP!

I forgot to add one of his emails is gtran647@gmail.com, as I recall.
LaTrompeta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he got really sick. I know people have done business with him in the past and it worked out OK.
satjazz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Also Scammed by Jonathon Porham Reply with quote

I guess I must join the stupidity club here. I also was scammed by the same person for a Getzen Super deluxe with sterling bell, also advertised here.

Have had many good transactions on Trumpetherald, this is the first time I have been scammed.

This guy needs to be stopped!
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKA "Ricky Tran", possibly using a Brooklyn phone number registered to "Jamie Tran".
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
Hzinno
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Gtran Reply with quote

Great info. Keep it comming. Let's get this guy
Kanstul 1503 c
LA Benge Pic
Tony Scodwell Flugel
1957 Conn Customized Valve Trombone
Getzen Eterna Cornet
French Besson Meha
Tony Scodwell Boston Bflat
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aka "Joyce137298"
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
kmag
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank you for the post as well and I know, since there has been no communication, how hard that must be. If there is a problem I would think they would get in touch immediately, I know I would, and I am sure you exhausted all other options before posting. I do appreciate the heads up though. I wish there was some way to keep people from registering under different names if they have the same IP address. Although can people change that it is more difficult.

I have bought and sold for years with people I have never met, pre-internet days even, and only once had a bad experience. I have backed out a few that didn't feel right though. I used to send a check, wait for it to clear, and then wait for the instrument to show up. They always did. If it wasn't what I wanted I was able to send it back and get money returned. I am glad that I was only disappointed once. It does make you a little shy to commit in the future but it also shows how great most people are.

The good news is that I feel there is less risk than before although it still exists.

1925 Holton trumpet
1946 Conn 80A
2012 Lawler C7
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmag wrote:
I wish there was some way to keep people from registering under different names if they have the same IP address. Although can people change that it is more difficult.

It's trivially easy to get a different IP address. Also, in some cases, different users may share the same IP address. Using an IP address to try to block a user is not particularly effective, reliable, or fair.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish marketplace users could acrue a "feedback rating" like you can on eBay.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jadickson wrote:
I wish marketplace users could acrue a "feedback rating" like you can on eBay.

Stackexchange is a platform used for tech and other discussions. New users have to attain a good reputation by participating in current discussions before they can even post their own questions. If they don't do their research and post a question that has been posted previously the discussion is closed by the moderators.

This method would effectively shutdown TH altogether.

Kent
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've probably bought and sold over 50 items on TH over many years. I've not had any experience with a scammer. About the worst was when someone dragged their feet in sending me the item (could have been a mouthpiece or something small) and I began to get a little heated. But then after a few weeks the item came drifting in. Turned out the seller was just a bit of a lazy person and didn't much care about getting his items shipped in a timely manner. In any event, I learned a small lesson on that one to always ask about shipping timetable. I did also have a recent seller act rudely in his email about an item and I just chose not to buy it.
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:49 pm    Post subject: Markepplace seller ArtDeco Reply with quote

I appreciate all of the responses, thanks everybody.

Kind of a shock to see how many others have had unfortunate dealings with this person.

Dave Brewer
NYC-player
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such drama
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: