• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

US Schools with British-Style Brass Band Programs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjn543

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: US Schools with British-Style Brass Band Programs Reply with quote

Hey everyone, so I'm heading into my senior year in high school and am about to get into full swing with the college search. I'm principal trumpet in my school's band+orchestra and would certainly like to continue playing in college, but I wouldn't say I'm on the track to become a professional musician (I'd like to perhaps minor in music, or at least play in a college ensemble or two). So accordingly, I'm looking for schools with both solid academics and a good music program (e.g. an orchestra, wind ensemble, marching band, etc.), but something I'm specifically interested in is the opportunity to play in a UK-style brass band. I grew up going to an elementary school that had such a program (I started out on cornet) and I've attended a few brass summer camps. Recently, in fact, I went over to Europe and attended the National Youth Brass Bands of Scotland's camp, and I really fell in love with the whole concept and culture surrounding brass bands (something Europe certainly seems to value more than the US).

Could anyone perhaps recommend a few US schools with brass bands (and that don't necessarily require one to be a music major to take part in)? The only few I've heard of include Stanford, Illinois, and Georgia (where I know Phil Smith's recently restarted a brass band program).

Thanks!
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love BBBs too, but if I were you I would focus first on the school's academic reputation, how they treat undergrad students and what my education was going to cost. Speaking as a retiree with less money than I need, getting a leg up on saving by having less college debt is a great idea...get that compounding going early and maybe you can retire early and play in a BBB all you want.

So scholarships and possibly in-state public colleges merit a look, unless your folks are paying and can afford whatever. That said, being in Phil Smith's band would be great. You might also, if it hasn't occurred to you, check on communities which have BBBs, even if they are not college sponsored. There are a number of these and the American association of BBBs (the exact name escapes me at the moment, but google will help on this) has a list of these.

Good luck on finding a $$$ making career you can enjoy AND a BBB! Let us know how you get on, as they say in the UK...
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Socrates
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Madison University in Virginia.
Oakland University in Michigan.

Both have brass bands as a regular school ensemble.
Betelgeuse215
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think university of georgia has one.
jharris2
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

royjohn wrote:
You might also, if it hasn't occurred to you, check on communities which have BBBs, even if they are not college sponsored. There are a number of these and the American association of BBBs (the exact name escapes me at the moment, but google will help on this) has a list of these.

+1

I'd suggest concentrating on schools that are best for your major since that's what you want to do professionally. There are lots of brass bands around the country, and you can go to http://nabba.org to find the ones that are members of the North American Brass Band Association.

Good luck finding the right school!

2014 Flip Oakes Wild Thing flugelhorn (copper bell)
2014 Flip Oakes Celebration trumpet
2005 Flip Oakes Wild Thing trumpet
2002 Flip Oakes Wild Thing short cornet
1976 Getzen Eterna Severinsen trumpet
1951 Olds Ambassador cornet
amzi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm unsure of the current status but as of last year Humbolt State University in Acata, California sponsored the Humbolt Bay Brass Band. The band has been composed of both HSU students and locals and is directed by Dr. Gilbert Cline who is on the music department faculty at HSU. There used to be an annual BBB festival at HSU, but I see no mention of it on their website. You can check out the Humbolt Bay Brass Band on their website and should be able to contact Dr. Cline through HSU.
Bach Stradivarius Bass Trumpet
Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
Yamaha 610 Eb/D Trumpet
Kanstul 920 Picc.
JasonB

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Columbus, Ohio, and we have a huge brass band following here. Ohio State doesn't have a British-style brass band, but in the area we have no fewer than 5 (and for all I know, I'm leaving someone out):

* Dublin Silver Band
* Central Ohio Brass Band
* Chapel Brass
- Scioto Valley Brass and Percussion
- Brass Band of Columbus

The ones marked with asterisks compete annually at NABBA, and the Dublin Silver Band won the US Open last year and is traveling to the UK this fall to compete.

Chapel Brass is particularly aimed toward youth/collegiate musicians, but you'll find college players in most of them at any given point in time.

So if playing in a British brass band is a priority for you, any of the colleges in the area could fit the bill (again, I'm sure I'm leaving someone out here):

- Ohio State University
- Capital University
- Ohio Wesleyan University
- Otterbein University
- Ohio Dominican
- Denison University
kjn543

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm definitely prioritizing strength in the major(s) I'm looking at first, but it's interesting to have a handful of schools that also have a BBB for me to investigate further.
jshaevitz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you thinking of majoring in and do you have a geographic preference? Given that I can probably make some recommendations.
kjn543

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well right now I'm thinking of majoring in computer science.
MAEdalgo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of GA has one directed by Phil Smith. What else could you want
trumpetninja
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some students at Eastman have just created a Brass Band. We are pretty excited about it.

Best,

E
spach
Veteran Member

Location: yazoo county, ms via northern calif. via central calif. via southern calif.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amzi wrote:
I'm unsure of the current status but as of last year Humbolt State University in Acata, California sponsored the Humbolt Bay Brass Band. The band has been composed of both HSU students and locals and is directed by Dr. Gilbert Cline who is on the music department faculty at HSU. There used to be an annual BBB festival at HSU, but I see no mention of it on their website. You can check out the Humbolt Bay Brass Band on their website and should be able to contact Dr. Cline through HSU.

I played in and around Humboldt State for almost thirty years. It's a great place for music, and they have outstanding academic programs. Last I heard (I receive email notices regularly from Gil about their performances) HBBB is still going strong. You wouldn't be wasting your time to give Humboldt a serious look. BTW - Humboldt's summer brass chamber music workshop is one of the best in the country.
1925 (or '34) MEHA (#878**)(.460)(4 3/4" bell)(32.6 oz.)
"Where, then, does the soul reside with its better body while it awaits the sound of the trumpet?"--Stephen J. Gould
KJaeger
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

University of Illinois has a fine band program and as you noted includes British Brass Band as one of the regular ensembles. Excellent academic reputation as well (full disclosure: my M.S. is from there, in engineering)...

http://dev.bands.illinois.edu/content/british-brass-band

Schilke B7
1935 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore
Bach 37 (rebuilt by Charlie Melk) w/ MTV-525 leadpipe
Kanstul 1510-A C trumpet
Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: