• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Becoming irritated

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject: Becoming irritated Reply with quote

I just received another notice that a thread, one I created originally many weeks ago, had been updated. Apparently the update was to delete it because there was nothing found when I followed the link.

If you are going to delete my contributions AT LEAST HAVE THE BASIC DECENCY TO INCLUDE WHY IN THE NOTICE, and not send a misleading note to check out the latest update to a thread that no longer exists. DELETION IS NOT AN UPDATE.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about saying this via PM, but the members at large might benefit if they end up in the same situation.

Besides the owner, username TrumpetHerald, only the moderators, username “moderators” have the power to modify/edit threads in general.

Your concern might be looked on more favorably if you had a private discussion before addressing the members at large.

Perhaps you did so. If so please accept my apologies.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Becoming irritated Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
If you are going to delete my contributions AT LEAST HAVE THE BASIC DECENCY TO INCLUDE WHY IN THE NOTICE, and not send a misleading note to check out the latest update to a thread that no longer exists. DELETION IS NOT AN UPDATE.

It is possible that your thread was in fact updated (and notice sent to you), but the update was somehow in violation of TH policies in a way that caused the entire thread to be subsequently deleted by the moderators. The timing made it look like the deletion was being called the "update".

I agree that if a thread is deleted, all posters on that thread should be notified and given a reason for the deletion.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Becoming irritated Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

It is possible that your thread was in fact updated (and notice sent to you), but the update was somehow in violation of TH policies in a way that caused the entire thread to be subsequently deleted by the moderators. The timing made it look like the deletion was being called the "update".

I agree that if a thread is deleted, all posters on that thread should be notified and given a reason for the deletion.

The moderators long ago used to clean up threads. Reading the whole thread and deleting the offending posts and all posts posted in response. Sometimes an admonishing post was added during cleanup.

But what about posts that were mixed with genuine non offensive responses? It was a lot of work for a group of volunteers with day jobs.

So thread maintenance evolved, or devolved, to just pulling the thread if it was too far gone.

I am not sure that I agree that “all posters on that thread should be notified and given a reason for the deletion.” I do agree it would be nice.
stuartissimo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in general that it's best not to take it too personal. Mods are doing their job to the best of their ability, which due to practical reasons unfortunately falls short of being able to please everyone all of the time.

Maybe you could send the a PM and ask if they can share the reason for removal?
1939 Buescher 280 flugelhorn
AR Resonance mouthpieces
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming irritated Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I am not sure that I agree that “all posters on that thread should be notified and given a reason for the deletion.” I do agree it would be nice.

Perhaps a less labor-intensive alternative would be for the moderators to maintain an accessible list of deleted thread titles along with a deletion reason for each one. The posters looking for a thread would then have a place to go to (1) verify that the thread was deleted, and (2) read the reason why.

"He had no concept of the instrument. He was blowing into it." -- Virgil Starkwell's cello teacher in "Take the Money and Run"
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming irritated Reply with quote

Halflip wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

Perhaps a less labor-intensive alternative would be for the moderators to maintain an accessible list of deleted thread titles along with a deletion reason for each one. The posters looking for a thread would then have a place to go to (1) verify that the thread was deleted, and (2) read the reason why.

Ideas like this are why "like" buttons were created - wish TH had one....

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming irritated Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
I just received another notice that a thread, one I created originally many weeks ago, had been updated. Apparently the update was to delete it because there was nothing found when I followed the link.

Did you check that the whole thread had definitely been deleted. Maybe I'm being thick here, but when there is nothing to be found when clicking on an update link, I just thought that it meant that the added post had been deleted, not the whole thread? Just an idea.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming irritated Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Halflip wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

👍
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Becoming irritated Reply with quote

dstpt wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:
Halflip wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

👍

Oh my gosh! That was quick.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the title of your original thread and what forum was it posted in?
None of the moderators team has any idea what you are referring to and that info would help.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the title was "A new record?" Making reference to an astoundingly high priced Olds demo horn on EBay, which subsequently dropped in price from 50K to 25K, to now 15K - at which time the email alert came out and the thread vanished.

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the thread you are referring to?

If so it is on page six of the horns index on my machine.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes this all the more interesting.

When I received the notice, I first checked "home" - nothing. So I figured maybe it somehow was behind dozens of other posts and checked the forum listing for "horns" going out three pages and a week plus - nothing. I then used google with "trumpetherald "new record"" and the link that came up led to the same no post found message.

So now it's back? (and has posts I never saw or received any further alerts regarding)

How's that work?

1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:
That makes this all the more interesting.

When I received the notice, I first checked "home" - nothing. So I figured maybe it somehow was behind dozens of other posts and checked the forum listing for "horns" going out three pages and a week plus - nothing. I then used google with "trumpetherald "new record"" and the link that came up led to the same no post found message.

So now it's back? (and has posts I never saw or received any further alerts regarding)

How's that work?

I don’t know if you saw my edit above. Does it show in your index now? According to the dates in the thread the last post was a month ago. The conversation seems more recent than that to me.

I believe Todd is tinkering with the site and perhaps something was tweaked that triggered this? As a retired software engineer I would expect more threads to be affected if it was something that was triggered by changes to the site.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more piece of information, I used the list of your posts from your profile to find the thread. It helped reduce the possibilities to an easier list to review.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldSchoolEuph wrote:

How's that work?

I checked out the thread in question, and now I understand. I support the moderator's decision to delete any thread where the OP includes URL parameters, so that the URL is so long that it screws up the formatting in our web browsers. (Please don't take that seriously.)

My more serious answer is that while it can be frustrating at times, I think the moderators do a very good job moderating this forum. And to answer the OP's specific question, once you miss one alert, TH will not send you further alerts until you open the thread again.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
OldSchoolEuph wrote:

How's that work?

I checked out the thread in question, and now I understand. I support the moderator's decision to delete any thread where the OP includes URL parameters, so that the URL is so long that it screws up the formatting in our web browsers. (Please don't take that seriously.)

My more serious answer is that while it can be frustrating at times, I think the moderators do a very good job moderating this forum. And to answer the OP's specific question, once you miss one alert, TH will not send you further alerts until you open the thread again.

Mike

Are you referring to my quote?

LittleRusty wrote:
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Yes. I was referring to the thread you referenced in your quote. And trying to make a (hopefully not too bad) joke about a formatting quirk in TH.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Halflip
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
TrumpetMD wrote:

LittleRusty wrote:

Ah yes . . . one of my minor pet peeves (long unbroken URL's distorting thread width), and the solution promoted by LittleRusty (using syntax that substitutes a short label for the link in the body of a post).

It occurs to me that perhaps our TH site administrator (user ID "trumpetherald") could add logic to the post editor that would, upon submission, identify embedded URL's (regardless of length) and automatically insert the syntax that causes a short substitute label to appear when the post is displayed (the label could include an incremental sequence number to ensure uniqueness for multiple labels created in the same post/thread).

Maybe I'll send "trumpetherald" a PM . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: