• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

horizontal valve alignment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohrt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: horizontal valve alignment Reply with quote

Seeing a few PVA threads around here, I decided to give my trusty old Bach 37* valve alignment a look. Although I didn't see anything too visually "off" about the vertical alignments, what I did notice was a slightly off horizontal alignment. Low an behold, give the valve a little twist and it lines right up! This must be due to the slight play in the valve guides? I have nylon ones now, would brass help? Any simple fixes for making valve guides "tighter" ? Should I be concerned about this? Although I'd like to think the horn is at fault for stuffy sounding or note slotting issues, I cannot be sure it's not the player

TIA
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: horizontal valve alignment Reply with quote

mohrt wrote:
Seeing a few PVA threads around here, I decided to give my trusty old Bach 37* valve alignment a look. Although I didn't see anything too visually "off" about the vertical alignments, what I did notice was a slightly off horizontal alignment. Low an behold, give the valve a little twist and it lines right up! This must be due to the slight play in the valve guides? I have nylon ones now, would brass help? Any simple fixes for making valve guides "tighter" ? Should I be concerned about this? Although I'd like to think the horn is at fault for stuffy sounding or note slotting issues, I cannot be sure it's not the player

TIA

Someone who knows will probably answer, but I would think making the fit of the guides so tight there was zero rotation might interfere with the vertical valve action. If not, why do most all valves have some horizontal play?

Brad
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bach pistons are remarkably consistent. You have nothing to worry about.
https://yourbrass.com/
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the guides themselves are loose fitting in their lands in the cases, new ones should help. But there is space between the guides and the slots in the spring barrels where the guides ride up and down. There has to be this clearance, so there will always be some twisting room. Pistons will follow the path of least resistance and will tend to settle into a certain path where they travel freely.
At that point, if the ports are radially our of alignment, there is a way to change that positioning. It includes unsoldering and re-soldering the spring barrels to the pistons. That's not something for just anyone to try.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
scottfsmith
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one thing I have not understood about precise valve alignment jobs - why are people concerned about microns off vertically when there is .1-.3mm of play horizontally that I presume is not getting changed by a valve alignment job?
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:

So are Getzen pistons, and I have an Artist Model Getzen that needed rotational alignment.

As they say: caca pasa.

Gary.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people say that radial alignment is less important. Not sure if i buy that, but if one port is off a bit the other ones are usually less off. Like the consistency of the port and piston layout is more like to be off radially than vertically. So in other words getting them all good is sometimes impossible, and that more likely true for the radial axis.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip Oakes does both vertical and horizontal, and probably others. Aligning horizontally means rotating the valve and that usually means unsoldering and resoldering the stem or valve guide in the proper orientation.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
Flip Oakes does both vertical and horizontal, and probably others. Aligning horizontally means rotating the valve and that usually means unsoldering and resoldering the stem or valve guide in the proper orientation.

On another note, if the ports are not manufactured properly, for instance a worn jig allows for the holes to move when drilling the cylinder, then only remedy is a new valve.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yourbrass wrote:

This was meant as a joke, obviously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: