• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When are the rules really the rules?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just posting to say I find Jens' contributions marvellous!! What a great attitude! Those are the things I literally scour TH for

. I hope the pros still contributing here continue to do so, and not that I get a vote but IMHO that should be the primary intent of forum moderation.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on the individual posts and the frequency of posts that could be considered advertisements...

I don't think Jens was anywhere near the line, personally - the thread title made me wonder whether it would be, but actually reading the posts he made on that thread, it reads as personal excitement rather than trying to boost sales numbers.

There are a few posters (I'm not naming names) who only seem to crop up to post when there's an opportunity to inject their products and/or services into the discussion.... those guys annoy me (especially as they're not paying for ads).
Someone like Jens posting something he's clearly excited by is interesting, and even more interesting when he gets drawn into chatting about specifics. Someone like Brian Scriver talking specifics when someone posts about GR pieces or about specifics of mouthpiece design (or equally someone like Tony Scodwell with similar horn related topics - and these are just the obvious examples, there are others) I find very interesting.

TL;DR - So.. from my point of view, this may be a valid topic, but I don't think the examples mentioned are the right ones...
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of an example of this that's actually on the homepage right now, below this thread. I won't say specific names, but the product rhymes with kindless spardware slethedology.

Those are real words, I swear...
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
I can think of an example of this that's actually on the homepage right now, below this thread. I won't say specific names, but the product rhymes with kindless spardware slethedology.

Those are real words, I swear...

This is one of the ones I was thinking of, too...
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nonsense Eliminator wrote:
The Usage Agreement prohibits material that "[a]dvertises, promotes or offers to trade any goods or services to an excessive or unreasonable extent."

If you look through the forums, you will see that the Moderators have pretty consistently allowed announcements about new products. I don't see a rules violation at all.

I'm glad to have learned just now about the "excessive or unreasonable extent" wording. I was a bit worried my topic thread offering to trade lessons to someone in return for a cylinder head gasket repair on one of our decrepit automobiles, but it's still up (thankfully) still up. I'm glad my post isn't being viewed as unreasonable or excessive.

Cheers,

John
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth, I am a relatively new member and my initial impression is that:

- There are not a lot of inappropriate ads in the forums.

- The moderators seem to be doing a pretty good job of policing.

- Posts by Monster Oil, Trent Austin, Adam Getzen and so forth are wonderful sources of information. I consider them highlights in the forums in which they post. These people seem to be very respectful of the rules.

- I wish that we had posts from Bach, Schilke, Kanstul and everybody else. They offer interesting and informative information. It might be a good idea to have a special form just for advertisers - just to make it easier to find posts on their products.
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the rules aren't really the rules.

We get plenty of real world examples including but not limited to new laws, decisions, overturned rules, amendments, double talk and more.

Bartering violates House Resolution bills in numerous areas due to the inability to tax the transaction and may be frowned upon in many circles. Except the circles that do it and turn a blind eye.

In all seriousness --- When it comes to the world outside and the world in cyberspace. One thing is consistent.

PEOPLE WILL NEED TO TAKE A LOOK AND THE SITUATION, PERHAPS COMPARE IT TO OTHER SITUATIONS, MAKE A DETERMINATION, AND IF THERE IS NO MALINTENT MANY TIMES IT WON'T BE SUCH A HORRIBLE OUTCOME FROM THE PARTIES INVOLVED.

That may not be the answer anyone is looking for but it is quite hard to have a "rule for everything"

PEOPLE LIKE ME WILL FIND A LOOPHOLE IN EVERY SHADOW, CAN POLITICIZE A PENCIL ERASER, AND GO MACHIAVELLI, ANGEL, THEN BACK AROUND WITHOUT BLINKING OR TAKING A BREATHE.

At the end of the day..........decide when it is worth it and push the issue if it is.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetjens wrote:
If anyone wants to talk to me about my approach to trumpet and mouthpiece I am all in.
Jens Lindemann
www.trumpetsolo.com

Tell Us ALL your secrets! I want details, dang it!
BeccaAtMKDrawing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: This was Helpful Reply with quote

Reading through these gave me a lot of useful information for someone new, thank you everyone!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> trumpetherald.com All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: