• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old guy problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveleblanc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Old guy problem Reply with quote

So I am a typical 60+ year old that has had reading bifocals since I was early 40s. When I was young, reading music always seemed easy. I know how to read the notes, if I can see them. But now, I am just having eyesight issues. When I've got my horn in the proper position, and reading the charts off a music stand in front of me, the charts are just not close enough for me to read.

I've gone out and purchased a generic set of +3.00 set of reading glasses at my local drug store, and these help a little but with smaller font charts it's still a problem.

I find myself putting the music stand to the side, and looking at the chart at an angle just to get the music closer to my eyes?

Plenty of you guys must have this problem? I haven't seen it mentioned out here. What do I do, just buy stronger glasses? I haven't tried yet. The ones I'm using are pretty strong already.

Steve
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Old Guy Problem Reply with quote

I'm 64 and have the same problem. I have gone to 1.75 reading glasses and can now stand a little further back from the stand. If I use stronger glasses I end up standing to close to the stand and my horn gets in the way.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading glasses haven't been the answer for me but, telling the optomistrist what I was looking for we found a lineless bi-focal solution.. The lower area for reading music at a comfortable distance (arms length +) and the upper for distance (looking up at the conductor).

I'm finding more issues with lighting now - must have a good stand light. (I do have an excellent one) Looking up at the conductor then down at dimly lit music is troublesome.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
steveleblanc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
Reading glasses haven't been the answer for me but, telling the optomistrist what I was looking for we found a lineless bi-focal solution.. The lower area for reading music at a comfortable distance (arms length +) and the upper for distance (looking up at the conductor).

I'm finding more issues with lighting now - must have a good stand light. (I do have an excellent one) Looking up at the conductor then down at dimly lit music is troublesome.

Good idea on the lighting, I hadn't thought of that, but my lighting is poor with these lower illuminating energy saver lights. Still I know I need more than my usual +2.50 for the bifocal. I've been using a 3.0 but I may experiment with a 5.00.

My usual reading glasses, assume a distance of maybe 18 inches, for a book or newspaper, or a laptop. (which these days I up the font on that too) So maybe I'll try a 5.00. I say this and at the same time worry what I'll be doing to my eyes doing this.

At least I can know I'm not the only one. Thanks!
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pigmentary glaucoma. It is under control, but I have lost some vision in what was my dominant eye. I have started using my iPad Pro for musicals and most situations where I have time to scan the parts. I have much better control over the light level, which I believe has a lot to do with having trouble reading. There are no dark or hot spots. Plus, being able to use foot pedals to turn pages has been a big plus. I've done over 10 multi-week shows and have had zero issues. Of course, I keep the hard copy with me just in case, but have never had to use it.

HTH

Ben
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found (at age 62+) that adding more diopter magnification in one's reading glasses will not help this issue. Keep the magnification level that works best for your normal music stand. This will take some trial and error, or maybe you already know what works best. Then to see the conductor, one can either peer over the reading glasses, or get bifocals made that will remove the correction for more distant viewing. And Lighting is a critical issue as well. Getting lots of light on the music will help improve legibility.
steveleblanc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
I have found (at age 62+) that adding more diopter magnification in one's reading glasses will not help this issue. Keep the magnification level that works best for your normal music stand. This will take some trial and error, or maybe you already know what works best. Then to see the conductor, one can either peer over the reading glasses, or get bifocals made that will remove the correction for more distant viewing. And Lighting is a critical issue as well. Getting lots of light on the music will help improve legibility.

Thanks Roy this is the path I'm on.
steveleblanc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Old Guy Problem Reply with quote

bebop wrote:
I'm 64 and have the same problem. I have gone to 1.75 reading glasses and can now stand a little further back from the stand. If I use stronger glasses I end up standing to close to the stand and my horn gets in the way.

bebop, this seems counter-intuitive if I understand you, you are decreasing magnification to see from a further reading distance? (smaller number from your normal reading glasses?)
ML52K
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have to chime in here because I am an optometrist. These issues are stuff I deal with every day.

First, yes, middle ranges do require lower powers. Know that a 1 diopter lens focuses 1 meter clearly. 2 diopters focuses 1/2 meter, 3 diopters at 1/3 meter, etc. Typically, reading distance is measure at a customary 16 inches, so when we typically need full reading power it is +2.5 diopters reading add or power.

So, typically, for an individual who has zero uncorrected distance vision requirement, music will typically be in focus with .75 diopter to 1.25 diopter reading glasses. This can be accomplished with reading glasses, a trifocal lens, or a PAL-progressive addition lens.

However, one needs to know if they have distance vision requirements. If an individual has +1 diopter hyperopia, then the +1 is added to their music power. So, theoretically, that is 1+1.25= =2.25 diopters

If one has -1 diopter myopia, -1 + 1.25 = =.25 lens music distant power.

How does one know what their distance vision spectacle correction requirements are? See your local optometrist.

Before you go, set up your music stand at your usual distance and have someone take a tape measure and measure from the bridge of your nose to the face of your music. Write it down on a piece of paper. I have music stands in my exam rooms. I don't always have music. So it may be smart to take a portable music stand, some music, even your instrument, to your exam.

The problem is, if your horn is nicer than mine, I'm going to want to play it too!
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 73. I hate bifocals. They don't work for me at all. Bought a pair of 1.25s at CVS and have been happy with them. I don't really care about distant issues I just want to read the music chart.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I wear progressive lenses, and they are awful for reading music from a stand.

Years ago I had a pair glasses made up for computer work (single vision lenses), and I found that the distance to the screen and to the music stand is basically the same. I now use them all the time for reading music. I actually had two pairs made up for the prescription, and I keep one pair at my desk at work and the second with my music gear.

The doctor (ML52K) is giving you good advice. Follow it. I think its smart to get medical professionals see what you are actually dealing with. I am convinced it helps them to a wiser diagnosis and a happier outcome.
starkadder
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starkadder wrote:
Normally I wear progressive lenses, and they are awful for reading music from a stand.

Years ago I had a pair of glasses made up for computer work (single vision lenses), and I found that the distance to the screen and to the music stand is basically the same. I now use them all the time for reading music. I actually had two pairs made up for the prescription, and I keep one pair at my desk at work and the second with my music gear.

The doctor (ML52K) is giving you good advice. Follow it. I think its smart to get medical professionals see what you are actually dealing with. I am convinced it helps them to a wiser diagnosis and a happier outcome.
steveleblanc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ML52K wrote:
OK, I have to chime in here because I am an optometrist. These issues are stuff I deal with every day.

First, yes, middle ranges do require lower powers. Know that a 1 diopter lens focuses 1 meter clearly. 2 diopters focuses 1/2 meter, 3 diopters at 1/3 meter, etc. Typically, reading distance is measure at a customary 16 inches, so when we typically need full reading power it is +2.5 diopters reading add or power.

So, typically, for an individual who has zero uncorrected distance vision requirement, music will typically be in focus with .75 diopter to 1.25 diopter reading glasses. This can be accomplished with reading glasses, a trifocal lens, or a PAL-progressive addition lens.

However, one needs to know if they have distance vision requirements. If an individual has +1 diopter hyperopia, then the +1 is added to their music power. So, theoretically, that is 1+1.25= =2.25 diopters

If one has -1 diopter myopia, -1 + 1.25 = =.25 lens music distant power.

How does one know what their distance vision spectacle correction requirements are? See your local optometrist.

Before you go, set up your music stand at your usual distance and have someone take a tape measure and measure from the bridge of your nose to the face of your music. Write it down on a piece of paper. I have music stands in my exam rooms. I don't always have music. So it may be smart to take a portable music stand, some music, even your instrument, to your exam.

The problem is, if your horn is nicer than mine, I'm going to want to play it too!

Thank you ML52K! I'm glad I asked here. I am due for a eye exam so I will set one up and get my eyes tested and then add this problem to the exam as well. I have enough trouble getting good sounds coming out of that horn, without having to deal with my poor eye sight to boot. I never had this problem in high school!

Thanks for passing on your expertise!

Steve

PS The horn is a 1956 Conn Model 6B, I was lucky enough to find it on CL for low money, and I was lucky enough to get Osmun Music to work their magic on it. It's not one of these big money horns, but it has character, sounds great and looks beautiful.
Oncewasaplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my early 60s, I've found that the progressive lenses are not what you need for playing music. Wear them and your head (along with your horn) will rotate up and down to find the focus. I measured the preferred distance to my music stand (about the length of my arm), had my eye doctor give me a Rx that matched this distance. I then purchased a pair of mid-distance fixed glasses. I wear them for playing music and keep them in my mute bag. They also work for using the computer. You can read the music and even better--the conductor off in the distance is slightly out of focus.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benlewis wrote:
I have pigmentary glaucoma. It is under control, but I have lost some vision in what was my dominant eye. I have started using my iPad Pro for musicals and most situations where I have time to scan the parts. I have much better control over the light level, which I believe has a lot to do with having trouble reading. There are no dark or hot spots. Plus, being able to use foot pedals to turn pages has been a big plus. I've done over 10 multi-week shows and have had zero issues. Of course, I keep the hard copy with me just in case, but have never had to use it.

HTH

Ben

I struggled as well until I went to the iPad Pro. I can turn up the brightness more than any stand light can, I can zoom/magnify the chart, and even as-is the "sheet" is bigger than the paper because I can crop the margins out and get an instant 10-15% magnification.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also in my mid 60's and have been learning Braille and it works quite nicely until you have to turn the page!

Seriously - I had tried everything to get my vision corrected because I used to gamble high stakes 9 ball and needed every edge against the kids after I turned 50. I worked closely with Drs in the hospital business and one of the guys I knew was a top eye surgeon so I asked him how to correct this and he suggested implants, which these days are made to fold like natures lenses so you can still read without cheaters after age 45.this was a solution made in heaven but at that time those lenses and surgery would be about 3000. I said that was awfully high and he agreed since insurance would not pay. He said too bad you don't have cataracts or insurance would pay for the lense and I would only be out the 400 for the folding option. He said at our next appt. we would check for cataracts. 3 months later I was checked and had cataracts large enough for correction and soon a new set of eyes. I had had 20/250 vision since hi school so I didn't notice any great deteriation (I was blind as a bat to start). So I now have 20/15 and can read the smallest print, so go to a real doctor, discuss cataracts, and hopefully get the problems corrected on insurance or Uncle Sam it makes a world of difference. I certainly take their money easier these days haha
Rod
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recommend getting a really good stand light. It makes a HUGE difference. The Might Bright brand makes a few good ones. The Hammerhead is good enough for most situations and won't break the bank at $25. Their Orchestra Light is about the best I've seen and it goes for around $75 and is four times as bright as the Hammerhead. They now have one in the middle called the Encore but I've not actually tried that one yet.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeze- at first I thought this was some young chick player having problems with the lead/principal.

I'm 64 with a fair amount of astigmatism in the right eye. I've never needed bifocals for anything, though- up close reading a book or other activities of precision, I just take the glasses off and I'm fine. (Left eye is still great.)

My regular single vision were a PIA so 3 years ago or so I took a music stand and some typical orchestra parts and other music to my eye exam and we cooked up a set of lenses only for playing. They're great and I don't know why I didn't do this 10 years ago. Occasionally I'll be 2 miles on the freeway and realize I can't see squat because I still have the music glasses on after a rehearsal but other than that, no complaints. I could never make the Walmart cheapies work for me.

As per light, I'm getting to where I hate the pops gigs and other commercial stuff where we use stand lights. I use my own for the non-orchestra things but the house wants to control the lights on the orchestra gigs so I have to use theirs. A lot of the time they seem to have them set at about 80%, ambiance, I suppose. Guess it beats candles... I'm also no fan of non-white paper or non-black notation.
amzi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wear tri-focals and have for more than a decade. First I had some single vision "music" glasses made--worked fine for quite a while. Now I have started developing cataracts--not bad enough for surgery, but bad enough that higher magnification doesn't really help. Now I use a special bi-focal with my middle vision on top and my reading vision in the bi-focal. So, extra light is the answer to my problems seeing the music. I carry both plug in and batter operated stand lights to enable me to see. Not sure if someone else has mentioned this since I didn't have time to read everything--if they have I apologize for adding redundant information.
Bach Stradivarius Bass Trumpet
Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
Yamaha 610 Eb/D Trumpet
Kanstul 920 Picc.
doclev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently got my new "music glasses". You're right, progressive lenses are worthless for reading at music stand distance. So here is what you do. Go to your eye doctor--optometrist or ophthalmologist--and tell him you need glasses focused at music stand distance--in my case 36 inches. Have them focus each eye separately as they are probably different. Also get your prescription for distance. Then go to the optician--the guy who actually makes the glasses and tell him you want the music prescription in the lower 2/3rds, and distance in the upper third. Lower for reading music, upper for seeing conductor.
I got mine recently, and they work like a charm. Of course, they are specific for music, but that's why you have regular glasses.
Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: