• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

F# below Double Pedal C?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: F# below Double Pedal C? Reply with quote

Question: How does F# below Double Pedal C feel for you?

For me; the F# seems to "want" to resonate much like triple pedal C... "like a tractor" as Claude said.

On the other hand, the G, a half step higher, feels and sounds like double pedal C.. just deeper. So G and F# below double pedal C sound and feel very different for me.

I can connect the Ab and (sometimes) the G to the rest of my range, but the F# seems to be asking me for a reset.

It's not a biggie.. but I've been wondering if I should bother trying to connect this last 1/2 an octave to the rest of my range? I love the feeling of these notes, and get a benefit from them, but do I need to connect them up?

Brett
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we can play to third pedal C and below, for the purpose of development it is not necessary to go any lower than second pedal C (two octaves below low C), because nothing further develops from this point down.
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Systematic Approach actually has exercises that start on Double Pedal C and it kind of begs the point that you need to be able to go at least a few keys below that to be comfortable.

In the past I have taken the range studies in Systematic Approach down to quadruple pedal C. I did it because Claude said he used to do that and I figured I would try to do it because he had done it and I didn't want to be left out. But, in my experience it didn't do much of anything good or bad in my playing and it just took more time. I now stop at an A below triple pedal C just so that I know I can hit a triple pedal C.

In my experience the pedals are kind of different in the following way. Pedal F down to Pedal C# don't lock in on a slot and their sound for most people is smaller but over time can get bigger and more free. Pedal C down to Pedal F# on the trumpet is flat for most people (90% in my experience with students) if they are playing them correctly. In time it might take months or years for the Pedal C to come up to pitch and could be as low as a Perfect 5th under pitch.

Double Pedal F down to Double Pedal C# is pretty easy for most people to play in tune with a big full sound. Double Pedal C down to Double Pedal F# for most people has a little different feel. Then, Triple Pedal F down to Triple Pedal C# has another sort of feel. From Double Pedal C down you have to be careful to not do weird things with your lower lip turning out. There is one relatively well know teacher that has a video demonstrating them playing in that register by turning their lower lip out. That is totally useless and missing the point.

One interesting side note is that several years back I was given a very nice tuba (i.e. Miraphone 186 BBb 4 valve tuba). I figured I needed to be grateful and practice it and see what I could learn. I treated myself like a complete beginner and did basic things I assign to all my private students and soon could play down to the lowest notes easier than other professional tuba players that sit behind me in orchestras. It was all in the tongue level and the pedal tones I had done on trumpet for years and it felt EXACTLY the same on the tuba for the same concert pitch. They sounded like real notes on the tuba though. A Triple Pedal C on the trumpet is a Pedal Bb on tuba and that note is so easy to play and feels like it does on the trumpet except the tuba mouthpiece covers more of my lips.

What is also crazy is that I can go down to a Pedal Eb below Pedal Bb on tuba. That is the same concert pitch as a Quadruple Pedal F on the trumpet. I can feel it with the tongue level.

When you play the pedals correctly you can eventually play from the lowest pedals to the highest of high notes without changing your embouchure. Anyone that espouses some kind of high note embouchure is missing the point of flexibility and playable range. We want playable range.

Anyone that looks at Claude's Systematic Approach book from the beginning to the end will see the progressive nature of flexibility introduced as you move through the book. That is also why a practice routine has to cover all fundamental aspects of playing so that everything becomes easier and more usable for any kind of music we want to play.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
BPL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pretty much nails it.. thanks. I could ask 100 more questions about pedals.. but I'll spare us all

It's fascinating, Jeff, that you can feel the same tongue level on trumpet and tuba. It makes sense, and highlights the role of the feel.
amuk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Are pedals really helpful? Reply with quote

OK, I don't play pedals but I know trumpet players that do. I play beside a few.
After playing pedals, they get about 90 seconds of being able to play in the high register (c and f above the staff) after which their range falters and they are back to normal middle register (g and a at the top of the staff --until they play some more pedals.
I don't get it. Why bother, since it doesn't seem to have any longer lasting effects other than temporary relaxation of the embouchure muscles?
solo soprano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Are pedals really helpful? Reply with quote

amuk wrote:
OK, I don't play pedals but I know trumpet players that do. I play beside a few.
After playing pedals, they get about 90 seconds of being able to play in the high register (c and f above the staff) after which their range falters and they are back to normal middle register (g and a at the top of the staff --until they play some more pedals.
I don't get it. Why bother, since it doesn't seem to have any longer lasting effects other than temporary relaxation of the embouchure muscles?

"Why bother,...?" Because:

Pedals Tones are an integral part of total development. You must achieve them gradually and approach them correctly. If not, you are better off not to play them at all. If properly practiced, Pedal Tones will develop a better vibration, giving you a bigger sound in all registers, enhance tonal placement and accuracy, relax the muscles and correct your embouchure formation by forcing more upper lip into the mouthpiece.

Clarke, Claude Gordon & Bill Knevitt believed first we must lay a solid foundation by playing low which includes the pedal register. How do we build range? From the Bottom Up!

Read about the correct approach to the pedals in "The Truth About How to Play Double High C on Trumpet" chapter 4 page 19-28 only $6.95 as a e-book, a accompanying audio mp3 download for $3 is available.

http://www.latorremusic.com/La_Torre_Music/Upper_Register_Development.html

audio recording "How to Develop Your Range To Third Pedal C" http://www.latorremusic.com/La_Torre_Music/Audio_Lessons.html

Now go to work on those Pedal Tones.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Are pedals really helpful? Reply with quote

amuk wrote:

I'm guessing these are not professional players as most pros have a solid High C.
It's like talking about the abilities of Olympic athletes based on what you know about the guys who run track at your high school.

Also, it occurs to me that playing the pedals obviously makes a correction to their embouchure that allows them to play quite a bit higher than they normally do. The fact that they can only do it briefly probably just means they haven't developed endurance around that more correct embouchure so after a few high notes they're worn out. Or they're just using the mouthpiece to mash their face.
Either way, it doesn't really mean anything about the efficacy or not of pedal tones... It just means some guys you play with have that experience. This is called anecdotal evidence. It doesn't really mean much....
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Are pedals really helpful? Reply with quote

amuk wrote:

There are some things to notice in Claude's Systematic Approach book and the related assigned books. The flexibility aspect "systematically" and progressively increases over a wider range. Over time everything from the pedals to the high register becomes more similar in how relaxed and flexible it becomes to move around the trumpet.

As you make your way through the various lessons in Systematic Approach you will notice that things start to change in your playing. Sometimes you won't go as high on a particular exercise initially and then after a week or more you might go higher than the previous lesson. That is because things are developing as the routines progress gradually.

Pedal tones don't automatically give you high notes. But, they tend to correct embouchure issues such as the mouthpiece being too low on the top lip or rolling the lips in for high notes. The point is that they actually become part of your playable range even if you never perform music in the pedal range.

Flexibility studies such as Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibility Studies along with other parts of the routines Claude assigned did some dramatic things for my playing. I used to roll my bottom lip in for high notes and do some other similar things that are espoused by another popular forum on TH. Claude never told me to not do that and instead assigned smart practice routines until it changed my playing. Then, we talked about it after the fact when I could then understand better from experience.

Saint-Jacome says on page 81 about the Pedal C "Existing on the Cornet to be obtained without moving the mouth or left alone." Not much explanation but it conveys the point that you can do it in a wrong way. In my experience, most people that do lots of mouthpiece and lip buzzing don't understand how to play pedal tones correctly.
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: