• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

When a type IV (upstream) is working perfectly......

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to know!
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a Reinhardt inspired lesson or two, I can attest that spreading chops from "open" section playing on my IIIB (or IIIA? can't remember, Chris!) is the end of the road. I was passed a lead chart last night after about 45 mins of 4th trpt, and it wasn't a pretty sight. Size of the mpc doesn't matter, I had been digging my loooowww sound. Death knell. I've sat next to some of the best lead players in town, and while they may (emphasis on "may") pass parts, they don't pass for long or they lose that chop set.

A couple guys heard me warm up. Solid Fs, F#s, just where I wanted it, and when that lead chart came to me they must have wondered, "what the f@#& just happened to Ed?" Well, that's what happened.

As for that Louis cat, he's doing exactly what he should be doing, imo: playing to his strengths, playing charts that inspire him, modeling after Wayne who's no slouch to model after--- we ALL model, folks; it's the essence of any artist to model, and he doesn't post bs on sites like this, like I do.

ed
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great to see Chris aka "Mr Hollywood" posting again. I encourage everyone who struggles to soak up everthing he writes. Plus he's generous with his time.

I had taken a ten year hiatus from posting on the physics of trumpet playing but then a year ago in May (around 5/15/15) I discovered a real breakthough for me personally. I'm from the "Type III Standard category. The one most common for trombonists but not usually found behind the lead book for a trumpet player. Herb Alpert being a good example of the type III Standard example.

More upper lip than lower,
Fairly low angle of horn. Pointed down at "4:00 to 4:30".
Fat, resonate tone but
Often deficient in upper register.

I had a good high G for occasional use but not much more above. Not on the bandstand anyway. Then to my pleasant surprise in May of 2015 I discovered a great way to squeeze more register out of the top end. Just by playing a really shallow piece but with a huge #15 throat! Then just within a few days my control of the High G to double C region became much easier. Like magic almost. That and the open throat/back bore kept my tone fat as a Bach 1. Even tho the cup size was perhaps 30% smaller than the Schilke 6A. Really!

Other: Wish that I could find my old copy of Rich Willey's "Jazz Duets" etudes. Are his books still in print? Please someone tell me where I can send a check and for how much inc shipping & handling. Lost my old copy during a familymove.

Merry Christmas everyone!

t unNo

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris is definitely da bomb . . . my coming back to trumpet after the shoulder surgery hiatus hasn't been so easy, and he gave me some great tips over the phone last week. Thanks, Chris!

Lionel wrote:
Other: Wish that I could find my old copy of Rich Willey's "Jazz Duets" etudes. Are his books still in print? Please someone tell me where I can send a check and for how much inc shipping & handling. Lost my old copy during a familymove.

Those books are very much available. Click here for a direct link to the hard-copy book. Click here for a PDF, and click here to get a discount for the book and the PDF as a two-fer.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gracious Mr Willey,

What's your favorite charity if I decide to "bootleg" a copy via internet download? Your book is creative, challenging and fun. And I've always believed the 'laborer is worthy of his hire".

IOW's I like to compensate others when I receive their intellectual property. Even if I receive it free.
Thanks!

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If those are somewhere on the internet as a free download, then those people are taking food off my family's table.

There are plenty of things I am willing to give away, but too much work went into those books to just give them away, lemme tell you.

Back to topic . . . there are not a lot of high notes in those duets, so a well-adjusted Type IV could probably take them all up an octave without too much trouble.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: