• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn Advice

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtrmptman1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:37 pm    Post subject: Flugelhorn Advice Reply with quote

Looking to purchase a new flugelhorn. I was wondering if I can get some input from the masses to see what people like. I play on a Stomvi VRII trumpet which I love so I was considering the Stomvi Titan. I would also like to check out the Adams Flugels and Courtois but I will like to hear thoughts from people that have tried many different horns.

Thanks
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play test a Kanstul 925 with a Copper Bell.

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Flugelhorn Advice Reply with quote

gtrmptman1 wrote:
Looking to purchase a new flugelhorn. I was wondering if I can get some input from the masses to see what people like. I play on a Stomvi VRII trumpet which I love so I was considering the Stomvi Titan. I would also like to check out the Adams Flugels and Courtois but I will like to hear thoughts from people that have tried many different horns.

Thanks

Flugelhorn can vary in style from one another quite a bit. Intonation is a primary consideration when choosing a flugelhorn. Mouthpiece choice can radically change how a flugelhorn plays. Make sure you are trying each model with the correct mouthpiece shank for that horn.

I suggest that you also try:

Kanstul and Kanstul-made models such as Besson, Wild Thing & Burbank
Upper end Jupiter models
Yes, Adams
Yamaha if you must (just kidding)

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used Courtois 155 over the summer and I've been very pleased with it. Love the sound, and it's fairly easy to play as flugelhorns go. It's the same as the Courtois 154, except the 155 has a trigger on both the first and third valve slides, while the 154 has a trigger on just the third valve slide. The first valve trigger isn't really necessary, but this horn came up on EBay at a great price so I grabbed it. The sound is more toward the dark end of the spectrum.

I also play-tested a Kanstul 1025 with a copper bell, which must have been a special order instrument I guess. I liked it a lot. The sound is more toward the compact, brighter side of the spectrum while still retaining that flugelhorn timbre.

I also played a Carol Brass flugelhorn, which I didn't care for. It was used, and it might have had its own particular issues.

I haven't played a Stomvi Titan flugelhorn, but that seems to be a good instrument. I think Jim Rotondi plays one on his Dark Blue album, and he sounds great. Looking at their website, this horn has a configuration I like: small bore and a large 6-1/2" bell. Definitely worth a look if you can find one.

Last edited by dstdenis on Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
dacman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would throw Eclipse in the mix, they are truly fine Flugels. Let me know if you would like me to send one to you to try.

Don Cornelius
Braw Brass
http://www.brawbrass.com
info@brawbrass.com
Johnrwillb3

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought an Adams F1 from Josh Landress in New York several months ago. Of course I love it....It has a nice big warm sound..... that's my idea what a flugelhorn should sound like. Iplayed 4 or 5 in his shop that day that was the one I knew immediately.
For me it didn't take over half an hour to pick. I had thought for so long about it, I knew I was a buyer that day and I knew what I wanted. Adams F1 was it.

Have fun shopping!
John in Brooklyn
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must try the Eclipse and the Kamstul 1525. Two of the finest flugel available.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Andy Taylor flugels sound nice going strictly by the videos I've seen. I think a lot of the sound he's getting in this one has to do with the mp as well as his personal approach. I have a Chinese cheapie that sounds really nice as well using a Denis Wick 4FL which is what he's using on the Phat Boy.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Flugels to try Reply with quote

Naturally I recommend the Scodwell USA flugel available at Washington Music Center. With the unique tuning branch it stands apart in so far as response, pitch and clarity of sound. I'll have a new video about the my flugel up on my website in the near future for some good information. The Hub Van Laar flugels are definitely worth searching out. I believe Bob Reeves is now the US distributor.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Dan O'Donnell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth...I play tested a Phat Boy and found the sound to be too "Trumpety" and it played with a little too much resistance for ME and MY playing. I would recommend play testing one and it might meet YOUR needs. As for Kanstul's 1525...I play tested several in an attempt to force myself to fall in love with it but for ME and MY playing...it sounded too "Tromboneish" your miles might vary. Remember...for any horn...try before you buy!

"Praise Him with the sound of the Trumpet:..."
Psalms 150:3
Greenjazzguy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play on a carol brass legends flugelhorn and it has an amazing sound! I also really love all of the Van Laar stuff, killing horns, they just often come with a price. Best of Luck!

Ben Green

Puje Classic
Bach 37
Carol Brass Legends Flugelhorn
Louise Finch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I admittedly haven't played many flugels, but I have always got good results from my Bach 183. I had a go on a colleague's Yamaha 631 the other day and it was a nice flugel, but I don't think that it had the sound of my Bach, at least with me on the end.

There are many more modern options, but I still think the Bach 183 is a nice flugel, and readily available used for reasonable price.

All the best

Lou
B&H Oxford
Kanstul F Besson C
Yamaha D and D/Eb
- James R New Custom 3Cs
Flugel:
Bach Strad 183 - Bach 3CFL
Cornets:
Yamaha Neo + Xeno
Bach Strad 184ML
B&H Imperial
- Kanstul Custom 3Cs
MikeGreeninger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older Couesnon Flugel that plays like a dream and has a great tone which I got for a very good price via Craigslist. One caution however when buying an older instrument they tend to be hit or miss so I suggest only buying something that you can test. e.g. I haven't had the best of luck over EBAY
-Mike
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Flugelhorn Advice Reply with quote

Adams F1.
Kanstul 1525.

gtrmptman1 wrote:

Thanks
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just picked up an XO 1646RS Pro-Flugel, Red Brass bell for an ultra low price from QuinnTheEskimo.

A very sweet sounding instrument, intonation is quite good and it responds throughout range and dynamics.
Comes with a very nice case, and a set of alternate (heavy) bottom valve caps, heavier springs, and solid silver finger buttons. The mouthpiece that came with is not great.

For the money it plays very well, much like my old Yamaha 631 red brass bell, with better valves and intonation.

If I had deep pockets, I'd re-look at Van Laar Flugels - played a couple at an ITG Conference and loved the sound, response, feel, look, etc
Retired Air Force Bandsman
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small bell Olds flugelhorn that I bought for $50 in 1980. I played it way more back then than I do now. I might play 10 notes a month on flugelhorn these days.

Maybe my experience isn't the norm, but do people actually play flugelhorn that much anymore? They're kind of the corduroy bell bottoms of the trumpet family.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...
Paul Tomashefsky
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:36 pm    Post subject: Flugelhorns Reply with quote

Have been playing Yamaha Flugelhorns since 1981 (currently using a Bobby Shew YFH-6310Z I've also played Getzen Flugels back in 1978-81 (Too bright sounding) and more recently Tried an Adams Flugelhorn at Trent Austin's Brass shop.

I Love my Yamaha, but would consider purchasing an Adams in the future if I had the financial resources . . . Good Luck

"Music washes away the Dust of Everyday Life"
Art Blakey

"If you practice...It will come" Field of Trumpet Dreams
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, try one of the new Cannonball flugels. The parts are made by Kanstul, and the bracing with Cocobolo wood. The horn is absolutely great. The upper register is especially free and open. Tuning is wonderful, too!! Seriously, try one of these.
pc2001197
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely give the ACB flugel from Trent Austin in Boston a try if you can get your hands on one. Very decent horn regardless of the price tag! Plays almost exactly like a Yamaha 631. Worth every buck and more!
JLoyalist
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the ACB flugel.

Great price. High quality. Warm sound. Gets the job done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: