• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tips for high range improvement? High School player

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetwang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for high range improvement? High School player Reply with quote

Musician415 wrote:
I'm a senior in high school, and I started trumpet in 6th grade, about 2 years later than the rest of the trumpet players in my grade. This year in band we're playing Festive Overture by Shostakovich. I'm the only one in the 11/12 band playing 1st trumpet for this song, everyone else playing 1st is a sophomore. While I know the 4th part is harder technically, I don't have high range consistency, and for me the song stays in the upper register of my range for the entire song. Normally my range would be comfortably up to a G, normally I can play an A fine but I have off days. After an A though I struggle, it's like there's a wall almost. I can play A fine, and then I struggle hitting a B and usually can't hit it, Bb is on and off. I feel like over the years my range has gotten worse. Everyone I ask for help with range always tells me range isn't important and I shouldn't focus on it, no one ever gives me any tips to improve it. I was hoping someone could give me some tips. I've heard of the pencil trick before, although haven't really tried it. I tend to naturally frown when I play, which apparently means I have to work harder to hit higher notes. I'm currently playing on a Yamaha 14B4 mouthpiece. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, I need to be able to play this song. I have a lot of confidence issues, so not being able to play the song and constantly missing notes causes me to become really embarrassed and sometimes basically have an emotional breakdown. Thanks!

I remember that the highest note in Festive Overture should be high C and there are definitely more than one high C right after rehearsal 3.
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could go back in time and give my 14 year-old self advice on developing my upper register I would say the following.

1. Buy a shallow v-cup mouthpiece, i.e. MF Jet-tone
2. Go find Lynn Nicholson and take a lesson.

Having been a student of the various approaches to playing the upper register for most of my 45 years playing the trumpet, I've never experienced results more dramatic than I have implementing the MF Protocol. If I had discovered the approach back when I had the time to practice and the limitless opportunities to play, it would have changed my life. The good news is that all you need is now readily available. All you need it to spend the time developing the technique, and the right mouthpiece.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
If I could go back in time and give my 14 year-old self advice on developing my upper register I would say the following.

1. Buy a shallow v-cup mouthpiece, i.e. MF Jet-tone
2. Go find Lynn Nicholson and take a lesson.

Having been a student of the various approaches to playing the upper register for most of my 45 years playing the trumpet, I've never experienced results more dramatic than I have implementing the MF Protocol. If I had discovered the approach back when I had the time to practice and the limitless opportunities to play, it would have changed my life. The good news is that all you need is now readily available. All you need it to spend the time developing the technique, and the right mouthpiece.

I like this post MF Fan and here's why. According to Maynard his best words In my opinion were,

"Choose the (brass playing) system with the fewest rules"

With that in mind your points 1 & 2 do exactly that. I wax on for another four hours about high notes. From different types of settings. Why I agree with aspects of various systems and where I disagree. And it would make sense to some, pss off a few but thoroughly confuse the rest.

But you said it well. Now one interesting fact I gleaned from Lynn recently was how he changed from using larger mouthpieces in his youth. He also said that he "gets a bigger sound" now on his smaller piece. And I concur. He still sounded great on Maynard's band but today his E above double C is really fat.

I think that the difference between Lynn and most the rest of us is we tend to use larger mouthpieces than we should when we're jamming high C's to high F. And he only jammed on double C's etc. Our differences are just a matter of scale.

These of course are just my thoughts and I cant speak for Lynn. The thing is that so few trumpet players ever get good high notes. My own thoughts are that like great golfers, we may have no chance of out hitting Nicklaus or Woods but ee can improve a lot more than the average player ever dreamed of. At least with high notes I believe it to keeping things simple, persevering and moving away from conventional thinking.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Relax
2. Do physical exercise
3. Start the day by warming up on a trombone until you get the right sound
4. Play trumpet relaxed with open throat - do not pinch the throat nor the lips. Air motion is much less on a trumpet than on a trombone, but the air pressure is considerably higher for playing the trumpet.
5. Use tongue arch to climb up
6. Staircase motion up - use all scales
7. Play lyrically in all registers, play forcefully in all registers, play as quiet as possible in all registers
8. Cool down again on a trombone
9. Wash the instruments with water and snake
10. Oil the valves regularly
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also a high schooler, but have a pretty extensive musical background. I've studied with some of the most refined and talented concert pianists in the pacific NW such as Michael Allen Harrison and Coleen Aident. When I picked up trumpet, it was not hard for me to catch on: That saying, I have never been in your situation, so I won't pretend I was. When I started trumpet I didn't have a teacher, and for the first YEAR I struggled to consistently play a regular g on top of the staff. That summer I took practicing seriously and with a lot of dedication, I build my range up to and E above the staff. I was still wrong technically as I did not know how to properly use my tongue. I went to a trumpet professor at the local college, he's very knowledgeable, and he really helped me out figure how to arch the tongue and control the flow of air. I really think in your case you should see a professor or teacher. After that with more practice and a very balanced daily routine that my teacher helped me put together, I can squeak out the Double c (cccc starting on reg bb) on a good day. I mean face it.. Trumpet's a hard instrument, you've got to do what you've got to do to get to the level of proficiency you need for the setting your in.. and motivation and practice is key to everything. Also shallower mouthpieces like the YM bobby shew will help you stay in that high register more easily. Anyway these are just some things I've found in my limited experience

Anyway my 2 cents
rufflicks
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do work with teachers, you will learn things that work and some that don't,

Here is a link to explore.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjtQbOLXI0BB_2bn5GjxlWCYsEM8DDVTH

Best of luck,

Jon

Remember this is supposed to be fun.
Lionel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for high range improvement? High School player Reply with quote

Musician415 wrote:
I'm a senior in high school, and I started trumpet in 6th grade, about 2 years later than the rest of the trumpet players in my grade. This year in band we're playing Festive Overture by Shostakovich. I'm the only one in the 11/12 band playing 1st trumpet for this song, everyone else playing 1st is a sophomore. While I know the 4th part is harder technically, I don't have high range consistency, and for me the song stays in the upper register of my range for the entire song. Normally my range would be comfortably up to a G, normally I can play an A fine but I have off days. After an A though I struggle, it's like there's a wall almost. I can play A fine, and then I struggle hitting a B and usually can't hit it, Bb is on and off. I feel like over the years my range has gotten worse. Everyone I ask for help with range always tells me range isn't important and I shouldn't focus on it, no one ever gives me any tips to improve it. I was hoping someone could give me some tips. I've heard of the pencil trick before, although haven't really tried it. I tend to naturally frown when I play, which apparently means I have to work harder to hit higher notes. I'm currently playing on a Yamaha 14B4 mouthpiece. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated, I need to be able to play this song. I have a lot of confidence issues, so not being able to play the song and constantly missing notes causes me to become really embarrassed and sometimes basically have an emotional breakdown. Thanks!

I would first,

1. Learn how some 98% of all trumpet players "block the sound" above high C. Then,

2. Consider experimenting with either the 14a4a, 13a4a on down to maybe the 11a4. Either by Schilke or Yamaha. The tone may get kind of strident at first but a back bore and throat alteration can actually make these shallower pieces sound quite mellow and big. Then?

3. Take care to avoid over-trained chops.

It's almost better to be out of shape than to burn your embouchure out from excessive playing.

Also mouthpiece changes require some patience. Set reasonable expectations. Depending upon what you're striving for it can take up to a year to fully adjust to a smaller mouthpiece change.

Like the larger ones the smaller mouthpieces require more, not less embouchure and breath development. Although these polar extremes have differing subtleties. The larger mouthpiece saps endurance and range. While the smaller piece saps your middle register endurance. It can also be more difficult to negotiate intervals and rapid tonguing.

I decided quite a number of years ago that I wanted to get as much high range control, power and endurance as possible out of my mouthpiece. It was the correct decision. As time has proven.

I do still carry a medium large mouthpiece annd a really large piece. For certain tone colors in legit shows. But other than that? I use the screamer piece but with a very open throat and back-bore. It is so free blowing that no one can tell that is so shallow.

Carl Spackler (aka Bill Murray, 1980).
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rush into improving you upper range. Take it easy. When practicing, after a good warm-up, play a scale starting well be low your target notes. Don't reach for the top right away. Slowly play long tones at a moderate volume and work from B mid staff, C, D, E, F, work that for a while. Then start at E, F, G, A, but only progress one section at a time - achieving the comfort level with each block of notes before you move up. Like climbing a ladder. It's OK to stay on the lower rungs until the notes start to flow. Don't force yourself and don't force a note. Take ample rest breaks. When you work your way up to the notes that really cause you trouble, stay there - and remember to work up to them each time. Take deep breaths and play long tones and take your time. In time (and it will take time), you will find that everything starts to flow and those notes that were so elusive, seem like old friends.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tips for high range improvement? High School player Reply with quote

Musician415 wrote:

Same high school story on that same arrangement, except it was marching band. BAD for the chops, made them worse as I was trying to do things to keep hitting those high loud notes again and again, take after take. Contrary to some, I finally found my high range a few years after high school, not playing in any band or wind ensemble, when I increased the size of my mouthpiece and started practicing a well-established routine every day. Believe it or not, the best for high range was a Bach 1! I have gone smaller now for other music (1 1/2), but know that if all I want is double high, I can revert back to the Bach 1 and do those old daily drills again. For now, your drills should focus on pedal tones and playing low and soft, keeping your flexibility and circulation. Shostakovich will kill you every time and you should stop playing it if at all possible. I'm sure the band director has drilled it 555 times and you've been getting it right, but killing your chops. They don't care. Hang in there!
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for high range improvement? High School player Reply with quote

Musician415 wrote:

Find a good teacher to teach you the Caruso system.

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tips for high range improvement? High School player Reply with quote

Musician415 wrote:
Everyone I ask for help with range always tells me range isn't important and I shouldn't focus on it, no one ever gives me any tips to improve it.

If you're talking about other high school kids, it's likely that even if they can play higher than you can, they don't really know why they can and any advice probably wouldn't be that useful.

I'm someone who's spent a number of years working out chops issues. Don't be afraid to experiment - watch your chops in a mirror and try to be aware of what you're doing. Jaw alignment/horn angle, space between your teeth, distribution of pressure between upper and lower lip. See what your chops are doing when your sound is good, watch and feel what they do as you go higher. When you get to your limit, see if changing something makes a difference. If you're hitting a wall, you *have* to do something different. Changing the focus of embouchure elements is a major part of what's helped me.

Take advantage of all the free air around you. Chops won't work without air, air won't help if your chops aren't working.

Another thing to be conscious of - work on being able to articulate throughout your range. Just being able to squeeze out high notes is of limited usefulness. Youtube is full of videos with people playing high with no musicality.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: