• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

High Range Development - Teachers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, Mr. Mohan's posts are often a breath of fresh air in certain threads where wacky ideas are being expounded- often to the detriment of young players hoping to learn somthing. YMMV.

Steve
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a plethora of advice on High Range Development ...

http://www.trumpetplayersdirectory.com/trumpetrange.html
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al Innella wrote:
Call Rich Wetzel,he lives in your area.He was in Maynard's band and now leads his own big band in Tacoma.

Rich was never in Maynard's band to my knowledge. He's not on any records, and from the 80s till Maynard died, I never saw him.

Yep Rich can play some high notes in his instructional videos he puts on YouTube. Have you listened to the rest of his playing? Interesting playing with his bands with the recordings I've heard on YouTube.
gcordell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote -

(Pete Bresciani is one of the few, if not the only trumpet player in Vegas to have enjoyed a non-stop career there since the mid 1980's)

Pete is a great friend and a great trumpet player. I perform with him often but there are many successful trumpet players in Las Vegas that have been working steady since the mid-1980's. They have studied with a variety of teachers and all of them sound wonderful.
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the discriminating audience of today, a fine high note player must have a consistent/easy high G, and likely A, with dense/solid/brilliant core mated to superior power WITHOUT mic through 4 full sets plus encore. And ALL the notes, including the uppers, must be solidly in tune (meaning the lower octaves can promptly dial the unisons!) WHILE the timbres remain consistent octave-to-octave. Hence, no pinching or overblowing/blasting/wrestling the upper octave to the ground.

Therefore, many of the mentioned instructors can't make the grade with their own playing - including, of course, this thread's most recognizable troll. That's not to say, carte-blanche, that it's impossible to teach others to play above one's own abilities. As we've seen in golf, a few select instructors can instruct above their own level.

However, in music it's different. Most likely, those who can't hear will never do. As Jerome Callet preaches: out-of-tune, unfocused, overblown, or labored pitches aren't music.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late (3:00 am) and too tired...

Steve

Last edited by Winghorn on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:26 am; edited 4 times in total
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger Ingram
Bryan Davis
Chris LaBarbera
Rich Willey

From personal experience on Skype or in person.

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tptguy wrote:
For the discriminating audience of today, a fine high note player must have a consistent/easy high G, and likely A, with dense/solid/brilliant core mated to superior power WITHOUT mic through 4 full sets plus encore.

I never understood this mentality of not using a mic. If you're playing with loud amplified instruments, in a rock band, or show band, why is using a mic, to be put in the mix a bad thing? Or what about using a mic means less machismo? Why would you want to play at marching band blastissimo to compete with that kind of volume?

If you're in a big band with no mics for anybody, that makes sense. And hopefully the band is playing with dynamics as to not need a mic. Usually the amplified bass and loud drummers make that an issue I guess.
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using Augie Haas's book, Build Your Range, with great results.
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
For me, Mr. Mohan's posts are often a breath of fresh air in certain threads where wacky ideas are being expounded- often to the detriment of young players hoping to learn somthing. YMMV.

Steve

Thanks Steve!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetplanet wrote:
John, your comment is intended directly to "rain on my parade", please don't deny it. I'm ignoring your comments because they are not relevant to this conversation as demonstrated by the off-topic replies that you have attracted. I am more than happy to take that conversation further but not here.

Having read through 15 years of posts in which you do nothing but troll anyone who doesn't bow down to Claude Gordon I doubt that a sensible conversation will ever occur when you're a part of it.

If you think my main point (that practicing the correct material correctly will develop all aspects of your playing including the upper register) is not relevant to this conversation, apparently we're not on the same page.

If you'd really read what I've written over the years you'd know that in addition to what I've written about Claude Gordon, I've had many positive things to say about the teaching methods of Bill Adam, William Vacchiano, Herbert L. Clarke, and several others. Having studied with Claude and also with major students of both Adam and Vacchiano, I've found there are far more similarities than differences between what and how the greats all taught.

I wish you well,

John Mohan
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to focus on upper register and the physical side of trumpet I'd connect with Patrick Hession. Maynard's road lead player for the final 7+ years.

http://www.hessionssessions.com/lessons.php
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the catch Benge, I didn't write clearly. By all means, gig with a mic whenever appropriate. But evaluation of an upper register should be done without a mic. A thin, wispy upper register is easily hidden by a good sound man as is a raspy, overblown upper end.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all.

Does anyone know of any sound clips or videos of Jerome Callet actually playing a song, rather than just high notes?

I would be interested in hearing his sound, style and interpretation, as he is often quoted with regard to trumpet sound and performance.

Did Mr. Callet ever play professionally with a band or any well-known performers?

Thank you.

Steve
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Hello all.

Does anyone know of any sound clips or videos of Jerome Callet actually playing a song, rather than just high notes?

I would be interested in hearing his sound, style and interpretation, as he is often quoted with regard to trumpet sound and performance.

Did Mr. Callet ever play professionally with a band or any well-known performers?

Thank you.

Steve

By his own admission Jerry is not musical at all.

I have plenty of stories passed to me wrt Jerry, and given I cannot corroborate any of them I will only say this: most people who heard him in person say his DHC was insanely and unbelievably powerful. That's one commonality in Jerry's stories!

This is a man who to understand embouchure better, wrecked his own hundreds of times. I think he is one of the few who know and can teach embouchure function, you know, stuff that isn't just air.

Maybe if you want to see the musical continuation of his work, look to recordings of Bahb Civiletti.

I am sure tptguy can point us to more, as can trumpetplanet.

Cheers!
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike!
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:

By his own admission Jerry is not musical at all.

I have plenty of stories passed to me wrt Jerry, and given I cannot corroborate any of them I will only say this: most people who heard him in person say his DHC was insanely and unbelievably powerful. That's one commonality in Jerry's stories!

This is a man who to understand embouchure better, wrecked his own hundreds of times. I think he is one of the few who know and can teach embouchure function, you know, stuff that isn't just air.

Maybe if you want to see the musical continuation of his work, look to recordings of Bahb Civiletti.

I am sure tptguy can point us to more, as can trumpetplanet.

Cheers!
Mike

Yeah, I remember Chris LaBabera posting here about Jerry in his hey-day.

Speaking of Bahb, in terms of high-register control, he's clearly got it.
http://tce-studio.com/sounds/hot_canary.mp3

To me, his upper register playing is much more like Maurice Andre's than your typical lead player, in that the control side is much more emphasised than the power side of things.

If you do listen to his classical recordings, make sure to keep in mind that he's playing on Baroque trumpets, NOT piccolo.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:

I've tried to find actual examples of him playing, found none.

From what I've heard he had/has rudimentary overall playing skills - you're not going to find video of him playing Hora Staccato or the Hummel concerto, he's completely about a specific way to play high notes that works with his particular physiognomy, that may or may not work with yours.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Benge.nut
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert P wrote:
Winghorn wrote:

I've tried to find actual examples of him playing, found none.

From what I've heard he had/has rudimentary overall playing skills - you're not going to find video of him playing Hora Staccato or the Hummel concerto, he's completely about a specific way to play high notes that works with his particular physiognomy, that may or may not work with yours.

I was at an ITG in the early 90s. Jerry was louder than the entire room of the 100s of trumpeters honking and screaming. When he'd pick up his trumpet the entire room would become silenced, and everybody turned their heads to stare in awe at the Callet table.

I've heard him play Clark excercises up to Es and Fs above double C. But I've never heard him play a tune. There are claims that Jerry plays effortlessly and doesn't use pressure. However when I saw him play his face was red as an apple and he was tanking up huge gulps of air. The results were awesome, but no pressure and totally relaxed?? No way lol

I think there were a bunch of complaints and Callet was exiled from ITG events for a few years.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benge.nut wrote:
I've heard him play Clark excercises up to Es and Fs above double C. But I've never heard him play a tune. There are claims that Jerry plays effortlessly and doesn't use pressure. However when I saw him play his face was red as an apple and he was tanking up huge gulps of air. The results were awesome, but no pressure and totally relaxed?? No way lol

I think there were a bunch of complaints and Callet was exiled from ITG events for a few years.

If one can call playing high notes exclusive of any other skill set to be "awesome".

I've never played one of his horns, from what I've heard they're supposed to be excellent.

Quote:

To further answer this as far as I've been able to determine he has -0- professional playing resume'. Even his website bio doesn't list a single example of him in a performance situation. Apparently his story was that he was a completely frustrated player well into adulthood until he stumbled onto a way to play high.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: