• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Doodling around on Big Band Swing as a comeback player...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Doodling around on Big Band Swing as a comeback player... Reply with quote

I was practicing my trumpet and working on various exercises out of the Getchell book, and then after taking a break, I started thinking about Tommy Dorsey, Glenn Miller, etc... and the classic Big Band sound, and this suddenly popped into my head. So, I made a quick You Tube video of it, so I wouldn't forget it. Anybody recognize it or what genre it would be?

Link

Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boogie woogie, jump blues...

Church music, maybe.
king leopardi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the clip! It sounds a lot like Choo Choo Ch'boogie by Louis Jordan.

Dave Brewer
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks... It was just something spur of the moment, totally random, and I just had to record what was going through my head. Where it came from, I have no idea.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButchA wrote:
Thanks... It was just something spur of the moment, totally random, and I just had to record what was going through my head. Where it came from, I have no idea.

First association coming to my mind is later part of ”James session”, a riff based swing tune played by Harry James (we have the chart in our swingband book) - then it could be a ” mutation” of later part of ”Opus one” - trumpet chorus, muted. Later on in your prerformance I think I identify a short riff from ”Rauncy”, a song played Ted Heath, the riff is followed by the entire band shouting ” tequila”! Reflecting I’m inclined to say that what you play might be a “condensation” of several swing riffs. However I’m pretty sure of the Ted H part - now he could have stolen that phrase...right now Big Band Jive pops up .....but that´s a recent tune. Better stop before I go dizzy (nope not that guy, he was beboppin´).
Found amongst the Windmills of my mind. Not that easy to get rid of a catchy lick. When it happens I´m sometimes helped by playing it; on piano seems better than on trumpet.....
Happy new year - keep swinging
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: