• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best Four Valve Bb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:58 pm    Post subject: Best Four Valve Bb Reply with quote

Hi all, and Happy New Year!

Has anyone played a four valve Bb trumpet where the range below the standard trumpet range (using the fourth valve) was similar in quality of sound and playing characteristics as the normal range? Does such a thing exist? (Yes, I know Pacho Flores and Sergei Nakariakov play very low things in concert with fourth valves, but I'm guessing they're not going to share their thoughts here, and probably don't play "off the shelf" instruments anyway.)
Divitt Trumpets
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best 4 valve trumpets I've played that aren't custom builds are the Stomvi ones.
SSmith1226
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve played the Stomvi as well as Lotus 4 valve trumpets. They both were good but ergonomically I preferred the Lotus. https://jamiestrumpetgallery.com/lotus-rapa-4-valve/
I have also played the Courtois R156 four valve Flugelhorn which played very well.
Brassnose
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endres:

https://www.eppstore-instruments.de/shop/4%20Ventile%2C%20Sterling%20Silver_i1668

https://www.eppstore-instruments.de/shop/Einzelst%C3%BCck%2C%204%20Ventile_i1621

Thein will also build 4V horns:

https://matthiashoefs.de/wp/?page_id=40&lang=en

Knowing the reputation of both companies, I would assume you can specify exactly what you want and they should be able to build it.
1980/2023 Custom Blessing Scholastic C 😎
1977 Conn 6B
1951 Buescher 400 Lightweight
AR Resonance, Frate, Klier
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a Thein 4 valve rotary Bb, designed for the discriminating 4th player in the orchestra / ensemble. It weighed a lot, played wonderfully. It was not like a normal Bb with 3 valves as it has a darker, weightier sound and played Emily in the low register (and all over the horn for that matter).

It doesn’t fit the OP’s bill, but a wonderful instrument.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally it's not something I'd spend any time looking into - the only trumpets with 4 valves (IMO) to worry about are piccolo trumpets and maybe flugelhorns, although my one experience with a 4-valve flugel - an early 90s era Getzen Eterna - wasn't great. I turned it back into supply in the Army band I was with and checked out a Yamaha 631 with a rose brass bell and never looked back.

There's so little repertoire written for trumpet down in a register that would require it (and personally I've never seen it - maybe some orchestral stuff?) that other than the novelty of the thing, it's not something that your average trumpet player would ever have much use for.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
Destructo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Four Valve Bb Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Hi all, and Happy New Year!

Has anyone played a four valve Bb trumpet where the range below the standard trumpet range (using the fourth valve) was similar in quality of sound and playing characteristics as the normal range? Does such a thing exist? (Yes, I know Pacho Flores and Sergei Nakariakov play very low things in concert with fourth valves, but I'm guessing they're not going to share their thoughts here, and probably don't play "off the shelf" instruments anyway.)

The trumpets Pacho Flores is using are 'off the shelf' options from Stomvi, and if you're in the US, you should be able able to get in touch with Stomvi and find out if there are any nearby you could try out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: