• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

flugelhorn mutes: Yamaha pickup mute & metal straight mu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: flugelhorn mutes: Yamaha pickup mute & metal straight mu Reply with quote

While searching for metal Harmon style straight mutes I have come across Yamaha pickup mutes (PXM6?) which are supposed to be used with special earphone modules (which I take is just an 1/8" jack earphone preamp). If these things are good they would be nice to use as an flugelhorn amp in an enclosed restaurant where I perform on bass guitar. The pickup mute van be plugged into a PA via a 1/8" to 1/4" adapter, & the pickup mute can be used at home, plugged straight into a pair of computer speakers. That is if the pickup is convincing in sound . Any info on this? Does it actually require the special module (called a "personal studio") or is that simply an earphone preamp?

As for a Harmon style straight mute, what's applicable? A tenor or alto trombone mute? I have a Hawk Flugelhorn with a pretty standard looking 6" bell. I am looking for a metallic buzz as found in Miles doingBNye Bye Blackbird & Someday my prince will come.
chapahi
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happen to have a tenor trombone haromon mute and it fits very well on my Kanstul 1525.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you need to use a Yamaha module (studio).. but, having experimented with running the Yamaha practice mute through a sound system, you will not get a very good sound (crappy, to be honest). The microphone is designed for practice, not to produce a range of sound that you'll want to amplify, additionally the microphone is quite a way up the bell of the instrument-less than ideal tone.

IMO You'll be much happier with a clip on mic or, in a small room, play soft accoustically.

Still too loud, go with a trumpet/cornet with a cup or tight straight mute - old school.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis - is that with the older Silent Mute or the current version?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
zaferis - is that with the older Silent Mute or the current version?

The older
Retired Air Force Bandsman
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: flugelhorn mutes: Yamaha pickup mute & metal straigh Reply with quote

bassguy wrote:
As for a Harmon style straight mute, what's applicable? A tenor or alto trombone mute?

Although I've never used one, I believe there are straight mutes specifically for a flugelhorn.

http://www.wwbw.com/Flugelhorn-Mutes.wwbw

The only flugelhorn mutes I've use are a felt mute (I have one that's home-made) and a Crown Royal bag (the 1000ml version).

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
bassguy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: flugelhorn mutes: Yamaha pickup mute & metal straigh Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
bassguy wrote:
As for a Harmon style straight mute, what's applicable? A tenor or alto trombone mute?

Although I've never used one, I believe there are straight mutes specifically for a flugelhorn.

http://www.wwbw.com/Flugelhorn-Mutes.wwbw

The only flugelhorn mutes I've use are a felt mute (I have one that's home-made) and a Crown Royal bag (the 1000ml version).

Mike

I ordered a Wicks straight mute presumably for either alto/trombone or Flugelhorn, but the following day Dillon Music called me & told me it wouldn't fit & that Wicks shouldn't have named it a flugelhorn mute.

Later I called back & asked & they told me they'd have to have my flugelhorn in front of them to see what fits. So I know of none, but I refuse to pay a lott & find some of those trombone harmons oveepriced

Some of the Chinese made eBay mutes look jyst like the pop Riviera ones. However some are listed as practice mutes, others as straight. Is practise mute for something that looks like a straight mute a misnomer? Can't get a coherent answer from those Chinese vendors, but not much better luck with Dillon.

BTW I want the metallic buzz of Miles doing Someday my Prince will come & Bye Bye Blacknird, not a wah-wah (unless that metallic buzz can be fixated & not opened up.

Those eBay metal straight mutes look like the pricey ones for 4X more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: