• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Miles Davis

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PH wrote:
Pops never had a band that could keep up with him. That is always a problem to my ears.

Respectfully, the All-Stars w/ Trummy Young, Edmond Hall, Billy Kyle, Arvell Shaw and Barrett Deems did him justice. This is especially evident in the live recordings. Have you seen the film "Satchmo the Great"?
Mr.Hollywood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with Brad here.

I humbly consider myself to be an Armstrong expert having read practically everything that was ever published on him, to owning many, many records.

I have also played note for note many of Louies solos in concert from "Weather Bird"(with Dick Hyman on piano) to "HotterThan That" etc. I have also been paid to lecture on Louies life and playing several times.

It is my opinion that THE BEST band he ever had was the one Brad mentioned. With the exception of Big Sid Catlett Barrett Deems was his best drummer. But in the Catlett band he had Teagarden on trombone and as great of a soloist as Jack was, he was not the ensemble player that Trummy was. Jack and Barney Bigard did not "light a fire" under Louie the way that Trummy and Edmond Hall did.

Chris LaBarbera
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bg wrote:
PH wrote:
Pops never had a band that could keep up with him. That is always a problem to my ears.

Respectfully, the All-Stars w/ Trummy Young, Edmond Hall, Billy Kyle, Arvell Shaw and Barrett Deems did him justice. This is especially evident in the live recordings. Have you seen the film "Satchmo the Great"?

I haven't seen that film. Tell me about it. Where is it available.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From 1954-55 Edward R Murrow followed the All Stars, first on a tour through Europe, then to a concert in Ghana, and then to their performance of St. Louis Blues w Leonard Bernstein and the NY Philharmonic.

A full length feature film was prepared for theatrical release, and then it was never released. I have a bootleg VHS copy that I copied from Barrett's bootleg VHS copy. My Jazz History students are often forced to watch it. Murrow interviews Armstrong throughout, about King Oliver, practicing, etc. The performances, especially "Royal Garden Blues" played in a tribal dance circle in Ghana, (and the Barrett Deems drum solo later that night that excites a frenzied riot where the 100,000 member audience attempts to rush the stage) are beyond belief, high energy and stretched out.

In the Ghana section of the film, The Gold Coast's Prime Minister accompanies Louis to a school, where he talks to the students about King Oliver, and about the importance of hard work and dedication. Then he announces that he will have Joe Glaser send a Selmer trumpet to the school, to be awarded to the most promising musician.

In 2005, we had Mac Tontoh as a guest artist at the University of Colorado, with our West African Highlife Ensemble. Mac was the great trumpeter with Osibisa, and at the time, was the Cultural Minister of Ghana. I asked him if he had seen the film, and he got very animated. He had not seen it, but that 1955 Armstrong visit is what had inspired him to become a trumpeter. I brought him to my house to watch the video. When we got to the school scene, he began sobbing. Mac was the promising student who was awarded the Selmer trumpet.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang!! How have I not seen or even heard about this film? Where can we watch it??
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds AWESOME!
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see this film.

I'm a big Miles fan, but Mr. Armstrong was a much bigger deal in my book. I still like to listen to recordings from both of them frequently.
1jazzyalex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've LOVE to see that film. Even at lousy copy-of-a-copy VHS quality. Please don't let it be lost to history.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: