• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Lawler trumpets the end of a era

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetgeekIII
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I discovered the LAWLER trumpet in 2004 via a couple shipmates while stationed at Navy Band New Orleans and have been a BIG FAN ever since! By now I've owned several LAWLERS, but my TL-6 was ace, till like a nut I sold it.. Till this day I constantly check on line in hope that it pops up for sale... The last LAWLER I purchased was the 26B LSML model from 2000.. Wouldn't play it much for I didn't want to dent or scratch the gold plate. But as time went on I discovered that this is a BEAST of a Bb and deserved to be out of the case!!!! (I think this horn use to belong to Mr. Smithee). THANKS Bud!😉 I use to drive 8hrs one way, to have something tweaked or repaired just so I could hangout with Roy and Tish! LOVE YOU GUYS and much BLESSINGS! All the Best! Jerome
ECLIPSE MY
ECLIPSE ENIGMA
ECLIPSE EQUINOX
EClIPSE FLUGEL
CALICCHIO #2555
SMITH-WATKINS
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rod Haney"][quote="Locutus2k"]
Rod Haney wrote:
I am so happy I got my Lawler, it does everything well and is just a joy to blow and play. Not a lead trumpet but my new to me Eclipse fills that bill in spades. ..
Rod

You should look for a Lawler TL5, best lead trumpet i've ever played especially in the L bore 1A pipe configuration.
Lawler TL5 Balanced 30th Anniversary (#2 of 5)
Lawler TL5 L bore
Bach NY Special edition 2008
Flugel Van Laar Oiram Ack
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Locutus2k"][quote="Rod Haney"]
Locutus2k wrote:
Rod Haney wrote:
I am so happy I got my Lawler, it does everything well and is just a joy to blow and play. Not a lead trumpet but my new to me Eclipse fills that bill in spades. ..
Rod

You should look for a Lawler TL5, best lead trumpet i've ever played especially in the L bore 1A pipe configuration.

I love Roys horn but the Eclipse is another level. I got a used one in mint playing condition that had been extensively tweeked by one of their artists for less money than a new Lawler. These are such different horns in sound but both so easy on blow with partials that fly out of the horn on thought. The Eclipse is a Solar or rimless bell, and unless Roy makes one of these bells without the bell bead I wouldn't be interested in looking for a replacement for this horn. After owning over 40 horns in the last year my safari is totally over , no more exploring. I am a bright player by nature and do not need a bright horn. I have a good sense of pitch and normally stay 2 to 3 cents of the tone or 'c' I carry in my head when sounding a c accapello. The Eclipse tunes there Since the Lawler got here I am consistently landing sharp. It's either gong to take more play or some tweaking to correct by Roy or me or maybe I just need to settle in. I am fairly sure I don't overblow so I'm not sure. Anyone else had this issue when starting on this horn. The overtone series on both these horns is a little higher than most other good horns Ive played but I cant figure this sharp thing yet. I tune with main slide to pitch and after playing awhile I'm sharp again, I'm sure its just a getting used to, but it is a strange feeling only having 1 horn that acts this way, but otherwise flawless. The Lawler is an Everyman horn and a great one, the Eclipse is a soloist horn I haven't heard the like of.
Rod
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C7 is a step-bore horn and you need to adapt your blow and internal pitch otherwise you'll be sharp. I know, i've been there. One simple method i've used to adapt is to blow an open C (concert Bb) on mouthpiece alone, checking that was perfectly in tune. Then without changin the blow or anything else put the trumpet on while you're buzzing that note. You'll see that the note will fall perfectly in pitch, no sharp at all. Just aim "lower" the note and everything will fall in place. Once you'll get in touch the C7 is one of the most in tune with itself horn ever built.

The TL5 is a different beast. Is a bit on the bright side but not so much but is very "warm", the sound is compact and very powerful (think of a cat's meeeow) while on the C7 is more "open" or "diffuse". Very, very easy to play. I call it a "lead" horn because that's what i'm using it for, but is indeed very versatile, in my opinion more versatile than the C7. The blow on the TL5 is more "conventional" (no step-bore). Comin' from a traditional trumpet the pitch on the TL5 will be perfect (and i mean PERFECT) since the first note. But after you adapt to the C7 you'll find that the C7 has the best pitch while the other trumpets (including the TL5) tends to go a bit flat. At least, that's my experience.

I love them both and i feel very happy to have these horns built for me by Lawler before he stopped trumpet business.

P.S. I think in the past Lawler made some "rimless" bell and/or frendh bead bells but they are very rare. Consider that in the Whole world there are only 1.500 Lawler Bb/C trumpets/Cornets and flugelhorns ...
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
The C7 is a step-bore horn and you need to adapt your blow and internal pitch otherwise you'll be sharp. I know, i've been there. One simple method i've used to adapt is to blow an open C (concert Bb) on mouthpiece alone, checking that was perfectly in tune. Then without changin the blow or anything else put the trumpet on while you're buzzing that note. You'll see that the note will fall perfectly in pitch, no sharp at all. Just aim "lower" the note and everything will fall in place. Once you'll get in touch the C7 is one of the most in tune with itself horn ever built.

The TL5 is a different beast. Is a bit on the bright side but not so much but is very "warm", the sound is compact and very powerful (think of a cat's meeeow) while on the C7 is more "open" or "diffuse". Very, very easy to play. I call it a "lead" horn because that's what i'm using it for, but is indeed very versatile, in my opinion more versatile than the C7. The blow on the TL5 is more "conventional" (no step-bore). Comin' from a traditional trumpet the pitch on the TL5 will be perfect (and i mean PERFECT) since the first note. But after you adapt to the C7 you'll find that the C7 has the best pitch while the other trumpets (including the TL5) tends to go a bit flat. At least, that's my experience.

I love them both and i feel very happy to have these horns built for me by Lawler before he stopped trumpet business.

P.S. I think in the past Lawler made some "rimless" bell and/or frendh bead bells but they are very rare. Consider that in the Whole world there are only 1.500 Lawler Bb/C trumpets/Cornets and flugelhorns ...

I have one of this French bead bell horns actually is the first new generation silver TL5-1A that Roy made back in 2015 , truly amazing horn with medium large bore , heat treatment bell , gold trim and gold wash bell , the horn is like new becose I did play it any more , I prefer my old TL5-1A and I keep this horn for my son .

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Lawler Model T in 2004 right after they first came out. Although I was not the first one to order one, since I wanted a silver finish, I think mine is the lowest serial number (732) of all the Model T's.

Since I received it, it has been my primary instrument and has been used in a community band, a 20 piece swing band, my church orchestra, a small jazz combo and a faith based symphony orchestra. It has fit in well with each group. The only group I have not used it with is my college alumni band. I use the Getzen Severinsen in the stands at football games. Strange things have been known to happen to horns in that atmosphere.
mouthpieces
Schilke 13C4, 12B4, 12A4
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

murph66 wrote:
I purchased a Lawler Model T in 2004 right after they first came out. Although I was not the first one to order one, since I wanted a silver finish, I think mine is the lowest serial number (732) of all the Model T's.....

Since I received it, it has been my.

Saw in your sig you had a 20 model Vega, I have a mint like new advanced triumphal made in 19. Marvelous horns no one ever heard of. Is yours the same model? Opinions?
Rod
murph66
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
murph66 wrote:
I purchased a Lawler Model T in 2004 right after they first came out. Although I was not the first one to order one, since I wanted a silver finish, I think mine is the lowest serial number (732) of all the Model T's.....

Since I received it, it has been my.

Saw in your sig you had a 20 model Vega, I have a mint like new advanced triumphal made in 19. Marvelous horns no one ever heard of. Is yours the same model? Opinions?
Rod

This Vega belonged to my father back when he played in the high school and college bands. Believe it or not, we both had the same high school band director.

The horn is in really bad shape. I played it a few times when I first got it,
but the bore is much smaller than current day models. With modern mouthpieces a trumpet mouthpiece is too large and a cornet mouth piece a little small. I checked out the bell since I saw your post, and I can't make out all the letters, but I can say it is not a Triumphal.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="murph66"]
Rod Haney wrote:
murph66 wrote:
I...
Rod

This Vega belonged to my father back when he played in the high school and college bands. Believe it or not, we both had the same high school band director.

The horn is in really bad shape. I played it a few times when I first got it,
but the bore is much smaller than current day models. With modern mouthpieces a trumpet mouthpiece is too large and a cornet mouth piece a little small. I checked out the bell since I saw your post, and I can't make out all the letters, but I can say it is not a Triumphal.

Not surprised at condition, Ive only seeN 1 or 2 in playable condition. They were one of the best of their time. Just curious. Mine is like new and the only one I've seen in that shape. Hoped you had one too.
Rod
Locutus2k
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my teachers had a Vega in near mint conditions. I remember he let me tried once or two but at that time i've found the blow so "weird".
Lawler TL5 L bore
Mark Curry mouthpieces
------------------------
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locutus2k wrote:
One of my teachers had a Vega in near mint conditions. I remember he let me tried once or two but at that time i've found the blow so "weird".

Weird but useful in helping me moderate my blow to improve my sound on all. I find when im having some problems the 1st thing I try is to back off the air, not compression. i certainly blow too hard when ascending to a hi g right now I cut off my sound starting at hi e and im done at F-G. If I spend a little time working on a softer blow the hi G sounds nicely and with good volume, not sccreaming lead, but a useable note. If I dont do this every now and then I just try to force everything. Its not a horn I can see playing outside of a small group but does its job as a tool. The craftmanship of the horn is the best Ive seen even on very new expensive horns. Even outdoes Roys if thats beleivable.
Rod
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping a slightly old thread to see if anyone knows if Roy is still in business.

This thread indicates that he stopped making trumpets and moved to trombones, but I tried to get some info from his website a few minutes ago and it seems like it's gone??
1948 Holton Model 48
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try
Roylawlertrombones.com

He doesn't do new trumpets now.
I do know where a mint 2017 c7 is tho!
Rod
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
1948 Holton Model 48
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:08 pm    Post subject: On the fence Reply with quote

Can't decide if I want to keep my 5 month old c7 in silver, got too many horns.
Send me a pm and convince me you need a mint c7 more than me!
Rod
tampa49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the correct Lawler post, but am looking for a Roy Lawler trumpet I sold several years ago and regret letting it go. It was one of Roy's early horns, Sr. No. 0085 , ca.1990 #24 bell #3 leadpipe with "JESUS" engraved on the bell. If anyone has it or knows where it might be appreciate letting me know. Have three Lawler horns and they are all great players.
Lawler C7
Lawler Model T in C
Yamaha 732 Bb
Bach Stradivarius 72*
Benge Resno 5 Flugelhorn
Couesnon Flugelhorn
Member Bugles Across America
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: