• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Changing Set Point

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Changing Set Point Reply with quote

I'm trying to change my set point (the first note I play, kind of my home base, so to speak) from a low C to a middle C, and am wondering if anyone has any particular ideas or advice about how to do this? So far, I'm basically just starting with a middle C before playing warmup or technique exercises, and trying to shift my feeling of greatest comfort higher up. It's giving mixed results. Can anyone share thoughts on how they've done this?
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The classic James Stamp warm-up always begins on 3rd space C. I'd hazard that by incorporating this at the start of your daily routine that it could assist with raising your set point.

FWIW I tried to consciously raise my set point to G above the staff as is sometimes recommended and I was utterly unable to do it at that time. It just made my chops stiff.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caruso 6 notes will help you gain a feeling for the higher set point, and also it helps to hear the note in your head first.
oldenick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing the same thing for a month or so now. I had used a flow studies type pattern that started on a 1st space G to get going. I moved it up to start on the C and have had good results.

I do start with leadpipe buzzing for about one or two minutes to get the chops going. I find this helps. I also use a keyboard drone on 3 octaves the C to get the tone in my head. The C is a squirrely note and the drone helps keep it on target.

I had an adjustment period where things did not feel right but six weeks in things have settled down and it feels normal.

Hope this helps

Nick

Play The Ink
Derek Reaban
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I wrote a post about Rich Willey's book "Focal Point - A Centered Approach to Embouchure Development" a number of years ago. One of the key points of this book was to "raise the hub or center of your range". The book was very well conceived and had great exercises. Rich's comments throughout the book were based on his studies with Donald S. Reinhardt and were extremely helpful. If you are specifically looking to raise your set point, this would be a good systematic way to approach that goal. I might have to rotate this book back into my routine now that you've got me thinking about it!

Hope this helps.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i warm up from pedals and go up. there are different approaches and to each his own. the first rule is to be kind to yourself and it's good to get the lips moving from a relaxed state.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for Rich Willey's "Focal Point."
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes on Focal Point. I believe there are 4 different places to set up and do your warm up/routine. "Spiderwebs" out from there to expand range and endurance, and just to get used to raising one's self to a higher level. Well thought out. Good luck
Arjuna
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Set Point Reply with quote

Think the sound "O" on the inhalation then the sound "Hoo" for the middle register. Think "Haa" for the lower register and think "Hee" for the upper register.

Steve A wrote:
I'm trying to change my set point (the first note I play, kind of my home base, so to speak) from a low C to a middle C, and am wondering if anyone has any particular ideas or advice about how to do this? So far, I'm basically just starting with a middle C before playing warmup or technique exercises, and trying to shift my feeling of greatest comfort higher up. It's giving mixed results. Can anyone share thoughts on how they've done this?
PC
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice FWIW to you would be to think about the shape of your aperture and make it smaller when playing you first 3rd space C, while trying not to let it become too large while descending to low C.

This is a difficult feeling to master and try not falling into tightening the lips; the center part should always be as relaxed as possible no matter what note you play. I had a teacher comparing this to tunig a car's carburettor: flow and aperture must be balanced. You can calibrate the aperture on a low C, but if it remains set there, you will need enormous air amounts to play high notes and will probably need to tighten the lip, leading to earlier fatigue than if set higher up (I know, been there ).

Regards,
Pierre
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focal Point and Pops books (http://www.bbtrumpet.com/) deal with this at length.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all, for your great input. I'll give Focal Point a look.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For whatever it's worth, my home base has been second line G on a C trumpet for years. It's my first note of the day and most of my fundamentals expand outwards from there. Some year ago, I got the idea that changing my home base up to third space C would add to my upper register. In my imagination, I was going to magically add a fourth to my range over time.

So I modified my fundamentals to center around this new higher note and the results were not good. I only stuck with it for about a month so maybe it would have settled down eventually, but it wasn't worth it for me. Tension started to creep into my sound and my high range got worse. The books mentioned on this thread might do a more gentle job of achieving this transition.

It seems like a sensible idea, but for me, the cost of transition (if it was going to even work) wasn't worth whatever gain it might provide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: