• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet/ Other custom/unique horns

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet/ Other custom/unique horns Reply with quote

So I'm a high school student looking for another horn as my Old's Super cornet is needing a replacement of something with more projection and more of the trumpet type sound so that I can blend easier in our symphonic band. I have held the first chair in this band for two years, and have been playing for 4-5 years, and I practice quite regularly. I have been urged by both my band teacher and my teacher to buy a new horn. I was kinda surfing around when I found a used Flip Oakes wild thing at a good price (under $2600 USD) and was wondering if it would be OK to buy untested or if that was a bad Idea. I've only heard good things about the horn but I wanted some second opinions.

Advice is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by Centennialsound on Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild Thing is my go to trumpet and they are great trumpets. Projection will not be a problem. However I'm not sure it would be a good choice to blend in a symphonic section, WITHOUT the appropriate sized slide. A 3 or maybe you could get by with a 2. Check what slides it comes with.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wild Thing is my primary horn as well; in my opinion it is GREAT for what is was designed for and even in areas that it was not specifically designed for. You might check out Flip's site to learn more about his horns. By the way, the statements about his horns the Flip makes on his website in my opinion are 100% true.

That being said..... and I don't like saying this, but you might (hopefully not) get some negative response from your band director(s). There is unfortunately a mindset in some areas that says students need to buy a Bach Strad or Yamaha Xeno, both of which by the way are fine instruments.

Regarding buying it used, unless the seller is offering some kind of return policy it is a bit of a crapshoot. You also might try to find out the approximate age of the horn, Flip changed his leadpipe design a few years ago, some people say the newer horns are a bit easier to adapt to. Also, as Rapier 233 stated above, the different tunings slides make a very big difference.

Again, I think it's a great trumpet, but I'm not a student in a school concert band or orchestra setting; nobody cares what I play. Except me! Heck, people in the crowds where I play generally don't know a trumpet from a trombone.

Brad
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most important element in playing trumpet is your own skill level. There are no magic trumpets that automatically give you perfect sound, perfect blending, etc. You don't really know how things will work out with a particular horn without playing it in the relevant situation. We can't hear you so we can only speculate based on what we think we know about the various possibilities.

The foregoing being said, if your concerns are sound and blending and you're going to purchase a horn without testing it, the safest choice is a Bach Strad Model 37 or Model 43, the most popular professional horn available. If a student is going to own only one horn that's what I recommend. The Model 43 has a little brighter sound than the Model 37 but I would confine my choices to those two. Not that other horns aren't great horns, including the Wild Thing. It's just that the Bach Strad is thought of as the most versatile horn available based on the number of professional players out there who play the Bach Strad in all kinds of situations.

Once you establish your niche as a player you may want to add a more specialized horn to your arsenal, such as a Wild Thing, but I would always have a Bach Strad Model 37 or 43 in my arsenal as well. If you're called upon to sit in with a section you're more likely to see other Bach Strads in the section than any other horn so if you want to have the easiest time blending that would be the horn to bring.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thank you all for the quick response! I talked to my band director and he said that he was fine with any professional horn as long as I liked it. The one I am looking at is in yellow brass and comes with both tuning slides so that wouldn't be an issue. So exactly what genres does this horn play best in?
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
The most important element in playing trumpet is your own skill level. There are no magic trumpets that automatically give you perfect sound, perfect blending, etc. You don't really know how things will work out with a particular horn without playing it in the relevant situation. We can't hear you so we can only speculate based on what we think we know about the various possibilities.

The foregoing being said, if your concerns are sound and blending and you're going to purchase a horn without testing it, the safest choice is a Bach Strad Model 37 or Model 43, the most popular professional horn available. If a student is going to own only one horn that's what I recommend. The Model 43 has a little brighter sound than the Model 37 but I would confine my choices to those two. Not that other horns aren't great horns, including the Wild Thing. It's just that the Bach Strad is thought of as the most versatile horn available based on the number of professional players out there who play the Bach Strad in all kinds of situations.

Once you establish your niche as a player you may want to add a more specialized horn to your arsenal, such as a Wild Thing, but I would always have a Bach Strad Model 37 or 43 in my arsenal as well. If you're called upon to sit in with a section you're more likely to see other Bach Strads in the section than any other horn so if you want to have the easiest time blending that would be the horn to bring.

Thanks for the advice, In all honesty If I don't go with a wild thing, I'll probably get a kanstul 1537 or the 1601, which are both relatively good models that should do fine in the setting I'm playing in:)
Thanks for the advice once again!
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! I almost forgot, Dillon music has a 6 day return policy so that if I don't like the wild thing I can ship it back:)
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:
Hey, thank you all for the quick response! I talked to my band director and he said that he was fine with any professional horn as long as I liked it. The one I am looking at is in yellow brass and comes with both tuning slides so that wouldn't be an issue. So exactly what genres does this horn play best in?

Any horn works in every genre. Mouthpiece selection can change your colors from bright to dark as needed, to suit commercial vs say more classical music settings.

Good luck with the new horn. New toys are exciting!!
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Centennialsound wrote:

Any horn works in every genre. Mouthpiece selection can change your colors from bright to dark as needed, to suit commercial vs say more classical music settings.

Good luck with the new horn. New toys are exciting!!

Wow! those words really ring true! Thanks again everyone for the advice, I shall be ordering within the next few weeks
Geodude
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any chance at all of going to play test before you buy? There are plenty of great horns out there for you to choose from but not all will be a great fit for you. People here on TH can coach you about brands and models within brands, but quite honestly, you need to make your judgement based on the performance of a specific trumpet not on the generalities of a brand and model.

Can you have your trumpet teacher or somebody else who's ears you trust listen while you test drive a few different horns? They may hear something out in front of the bell that you do not when you are playing. Can you have a more proficient player test it up in the range that you have not yet mastered?

There are plenty of Wild Thing fans here on TH with good reason, but remember if it was perfect for everybody Schilke, Shires, Kanstul, Bach, Yamaha, Getzen and Adams and all of the other good horn manufacturers would be out of work.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geodude wrote:
Do you have any chance at all of going to play test before you buy? There are plenty of great horns out there for you to choose from but not all will be a great fit for you. People here on TH can coach you about brands and models within brands, but quite honestly, you need to make your judgement based on the performance of a specific trumpet not on the generalities of a brand and model.

Can you have your trumpet teacher or somebody else who's ears you trust listen while you test drive a few different horns? They may hear something out in front of the bell that you do not when you are playing. Can you have a more proficient player test it up in the range that you have not yet mastered?

There are plenty of Wild Thing fans here on TH with good reason, but remember if it was perfect for everybody Schilke, Shires, Kanstul, Bach, Yamaha, Getzen and Adams and all of the other good horn manufacturers would be out of work.

That is very true. I will have the opportunity to test before I play, and I will make sure that my teacher can listen to my sound on the other side and then from there we will make the decision on what the best one is. As I will only be trying one out at a time I thought I'd give the wild thing a go. As previously stated If I do not settle on the wild thing or something I will try a Kanstul which I really enjoyed having the opportunity to test play one:)
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, right now I'm open to a lot of horns just not Yamaha's. I can never get an earnest sound out of them and it bothers me. Bach's ring true for me but the sound always seemed a bit thin, especially on the 37. I saw that wild thing and was trying to figure out whether it was worth trying or not!
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To dismiss a Bach 37 as being thin sounding after having played only 4 or 5 years is a big mistake, IMHO. Same for Yamaha instruments. Look at all the professionals who play Bach and Yamaha instrumente and who get a world-class sound out of them. At your age and stage of development, I would suggest purchasing the most versatile instrument you can and then practicing diligently to make the sound your own. Good luck whatever you decide.

Steve
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let these THers talk you into a Back or Yamaha. Give Flip a call and talk to him directly, I know he has a couple used Wild Things in stock that you can get for a good price you won't be sorry.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you try the Wild Thing, here are a few things to keep in mind:

Start with the #2 slide.

Immediately, you may hear a low dull element in your sound, compared to what you are used to playing. That sound is there because the bell throat is much larger than a typical trumpet. Two things will happen, if you give it time. The "woofy" sound will go away and you will discover that it never made it out front anyway. This is predicated on the assumption that you already play with a clear tone.

If you've been playing cornet, you might feel right at home playing the Wild Thing. It's a good idea to let your air "flow" out from you, rather than push it out. The horn will resonate very easily and project very efficiently, so relax.

You may not need as full a mouthpiece cup as you expect in order to get the richness of sound you want. I typically find that I use one Bach size shallower on the WT than on conventional trumpets to get the same depth of quality.

You may need to unlearn things you have had to do to compensate for intonation problems in your current horn. You also might find that other players don't play that well in tune. It can be eye opening!

Start with the #2 slide.

The way to tell which lead pipe the horn has is to look where the pipe and mouthpiece receiver come together. The old pipe has very little step down from the receiver to pipe. The new pipe has an obvious step down in diameter. Also, you can always contact Flip and he will tell you about the horn you have, via serial number.

And that, my friend, is the one invaluable asset you get when you buy even a used Wild Thing. You get the man who designed it, prepared it and wants most to maintain it at its best. You get Flip Oakes.

Try that with a Bach.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's been a daily driver for 15 years. I'd say check it out
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could do a lot worse. the guys at dillon's will give you an honest appraisal of its condition if you ask.
21trumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:
Oh! I almost forgot, Dillon music has a 6 day return policy so that if I don't like the wild thing I can ship it back:)

I know that Flip has a silver plated Wild Thing in stock that he just gave a complete overhaul to and he said it is playing great. Again give him a call and talk to the man himself.
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper - Raw
Yamaha YCR2330 Cornet
Yamaha Custom Piccolo
Monette B4S S2 Mouthpiece
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to talk anyone in to anything, unlike the posters who are pushing the Wild Thing. What ever happened to try them all before buying? But, the OP appears to have his heart set on a Wild Thing, so I wish him every success!

Steve
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for all of the great opinions. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but I will at least talk to Flip. I agree with you on the yamaha instruments and the bachs for that matter. I mean they're great horns, and I've tested several and I truly loved the 43 and 72 much more than any of the other bachs and yamaha's i've played. Also If I'm gonna get a horn with a 37 bell, one of the first one's I'll try will be the Kanstul. My heart isn't set on the wild thing it's just one of the bigger options that appeal to me:) Again thank you all for the advice.

for now, better go practice

Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: