• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet/ Other custom/unique horns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Con-

Classy, thoughtful post. Good luck in your horn search!

Steve

Last edited by Winghorn on Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school back in the 1960's I had classmate who played a mint condition Mt. Vernon Bach Strad. One day he told me he really needed to get a different horn because his Strad was "holding him back." I'm not kidding. This is how some players that age buy into the idea that it's the horn or it's the mouthpiece or it's some secret "trick" that propels the player into the realm of fabulous trumpet playing.

My friend's real problem was that he wasn't a very good player. No surprise there.

Wayne Bergeron was at my house after a jazz concert at which he was guest artist. I have a collection of about 50 trumpets. He picked up my 1934 King Silvertone, played a few scales and then said, "this plays like a modern horn."

I think that if Wayne played the rest of his career on my 1934 King Silvertone we'd still all be awestruck by his playing.

For young students there's entirely too much emphasis on equipment as solutions to problems rather than on practice and development as solutions to problems.

If the OP gets himself a Wild Thing does anyone really think he's going to suddenly sound like Arturo or Alan Chez playing theirs?

Please understand that I have no issues with the Wild Thing. I owed one and found it to be an excellent and quite unique trumpet. If the OP wants a Wild Thing more power too him. He just shouldn't expect miracles. The OP can continue to develop on any decent trumpet in good condition.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again so true. As a player I strive to be the best I can be, to produce the fullest the richest and most beautiful sound I can, and I enjoy it! that's why I practice. I've played bach strads yamaha's and all the like and heck, I may play test one and keep it! It's all in the player, not really that much horn. If the bach's didn't turn my tone into a miracle, why would a wild thing? anyway, this was just a thought as I continued searching for a new horn!

Cheers
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
Centennialsound wrote:
Oh! I almost forgot, Dillon music has a 6 day return policy so that if I don't like the wild thing I can ship it back:)

I know that Flip has a silver plated Wild Thing in stock that he just gave a complete overhaul to and he said it is playing great. Again give him a call and talk to the man himself.

Thanks for the tip. Will look into it for sure
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Con-

Classy, thoughtful post. Good luck in your horn search!

Steve

Hey, thanks a lot Steve!
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trumpets come and go. And compared to French horn players, or saxophone or oboe or bassoon players, we get off pretty cheap comparatively.

And as long as you have a name brand horn, like those mentioned in the thread, there will always be a marketplace to resell. Bach, Yamaha, Kanstul (and Kanstul made trumpets like Wild Thing) always hold and have value should you want to resell.

If you're inspired and excited by a Wild Thing, go for it. Lots of players from all ranges of performance calibers play on them. And later on, should you rather have, or a teacher recommend you get something else---get that as well.

Saxophone, horn, oboe, bassoon, high end flute players, clarinetists etc all pay 2 or 3 or up to 10 times the cost of what us trumpet players have to invest for a similar name brand, high quality instrument.

I don't know where you live, as you haven't mentioned it, but if possible a weekend road trip to a major metro area, where you might try all of the above mentioned horns may be a worth while trip.

Or bite the bullet and get that Wild Thing!!

Either way, best of luck and play the heck out of whatever you get!
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Trumpets come and go. And compared to French horn players, or saxophone or oboe or bassoon players, we get off pretty cheap comparatively.

And as long as you have a name brand horn, like those mentioned in the thread, there will always be a marketplace to resell. Bach, Yamaha, Kanstul (and Kanstul made trumpets like Wild Thing) always hold and have value should you want to resell.

If you're inspired and excited by a Wild Thing, go for it. Lots of players from all ranges of performance calibers play on them. And later on, should you rather have, or a teacher recommend you get something else---get that as well.

Saxophone, horn, oboe, bassoon, high end flute players, clarinetists etc all pay 2 or 3 or up to 10 times the cost of what us trumpet players have to invest for a similar name brand, high quality instrument.

I don't know where you live, as you haven't mentioned it, but if possible a weekend road trip to a major metro area, where you might try all of the above mentioned horns may be a worth while trip.

Or bite the bullet and get that Wild Thing!!

Either way, best of luck and play the heck out of whatever you get!

We trumpet players really do have it easy when it comes to buying horns. I'm in Western ND so the closest city is Minneapolis which has the trumpet shoppe. I've been thinking about taking a trip there over spring break:) And thanks.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

21trumpet wrote:
Don't let these THers talk you into a Back or Yamaha. Give Flip a call and talk to him directly, I know he has a couple used Wild Things in stock that you can get for a good price you won't be sorry.

Hey, are these like horns he's privately selling? cause I don't see them on his website

Cheers
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:
21trumpet wrote:
Don't let these THers talk you into a Back or Yamaha. Give Flip a call and talk to him directly, I know he has a couple used Wild Things in stock that you can get for a good price you won't be sorry.

Hey, are these like horns he's privately selling? cause I don't see them on his website

Cheers

Flip's web master isn't always available to make quick updates. Just call him.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok thank you:)
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect I will be receiving the wrath of many, if not all, the Wild Thing players on the forum, but here goes. As someone who has been playing predominantly large bore equipment for the past 30+ years ago, I think I speak with some authority when I say that someone with 4-5 years playing experience should not be jumping from a medium large cornet to an extra large bore trumpet. I know, I know, it "doesn't play as open as it would appear" you guys will say. But I currently own and have been playing large bore Bachs, Benges, Schilkes, and Getzens for years and I find that the Wild Thing plays really open by comparison to my current large bores. And my large bores play more open that most medium large horns. As we all know, medium large horns are generally more popular than large bore horns. In addition, the Wild Thing has a huge bell throat which tends to cause the sound to spread. Yeah, I know you guys will say it projects. Maybe so, but not as well as a more conventional horn. At least in my experience.

Further more, it's not that they don't exist, and correct me if I am mistaken, but I am not aware of any major symphony players or known lead players who are currently using Wild Things in any great numbers.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagiotrumpet wrote:
I suspect I will be receiving the wrath of many, if not all, the Wild Thing players on the forum, but here goes. As someone who has been playing predominantly large bore equipment for the past 30+ years ago, I think I speak with some authority when I say that someone with 4-5 years playing experience should not be jumping from a medium large cornet to an extra large bore trumpet. I know, I know, it "doesn't play as open as it would appear" you guys will say. But I currently own and have been playing large bore Bachs, Benges, Schilkes, and Getzens for years and I find that the Wild Thing plays really open by comparison to my current large bores. And my large bores play more open that most medium large horns. As we all know, medium large horns are generally more popular than large bore horns. In addition, the Wild Thing has a huge bell throat which tends to cause the sound to spread. Yeah, I know you guys will say it projects. Maybe so, but not as well as a more conventional horn. At least in my experience.

Further more, it's not that they don't exist, and correct me if I am mistaken, but I am not aware of any major symphony players or known lead players who are currently using Wild Things in any great numbers.

Ok. So there may be adjustments to playing style. But you say no? from this it seems your saying the change from a medium bore cornet to a larger bore trumpet is as drastic as changing from piccolo trumpet to BB tuba. So what would you exactly recommend?

Anyway maybe I'm just reading this wrong

As Always,
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adagio trumpet-

I would hope that you would not receive the wrath of anyone. The OP asked for opinions about the suitability of the Wild Thing trumpet, and you have given him yours. Others have given their opinions as well, and the OP will surely benefit from different viewpoints.

Most of us love, and are enthusiastic about, the instruments we play and tend to recommend them to others. I love my current Destino 5* and large bore Martin Committee Deluxe trumpets with a passion, but in all honesty, I wouild not recommend either to a high schooler with limited experience and just coming off a cornet.

My Destino leans toward a more commercial sound, and might not fit in, or blend, with the other players and musical styles the OP is likely to encounter as a young player. A more all-around type trumpet is probably the best bet for a high school student who has yet to determine which direction he ultimately wants to go musically.

As for my Committee, it takes more air and strength to play than the typical ML bore instrument and might put the OP at a disadvantage when playing demanding music along side players using easier playing equipment. And like the Destino, the sound of the Martin might not be appropriate for all situations.

I guess what I am suggesting is that not every fine instrument out there is suitable for every player. Some work best for stronger, more mature players who need a horn for a specific purpose. A high school student who has only played a cornet would do better to stay with a mainstream, universally accepted instrument as his first trumpet. That is my opinion, at least.

Steve
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1
Thanks steve. I have played strads for a few weeks at a time but have never owned one, so it's not like i've only played a cornet all my life lol. But yes I think you may be right about a mainstream horn... still gonna call flip though
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Con-

Of course call Flip. The Wild Thing might work great for you. My comments were all in general terms and as I opined, different horns work for different players. Plus, it is fun to own a cool, custom horn and that may inspire you to practice even more!

I would, however, try to play the Wild Thing (or any other horn you are interested in) for several days before committing to purchase. Make sure you are comfortable with the resistance, or lack thereof. There is usually a honeymoon period with a new horn or mouthpiece where everything feels great, but it may not last. The 100 or so mouthpieces in my mouthpiece drawer attest to this!

Best of luck,

Steve
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Con-

Of course call Flip. The Wild Thing might work great for you. My comments were all in general terms and as I opined, different horns work for different players. Plus, it is fun to own a cool, custom horn and that may inspire you to practice even more!

I would, however, try to play the Wild Thing (or any other horn you are interested in) for several days before committing to purchase. Make sure you are comfortable with the resistance, or lack thereof. There is usually a honeymoon period with a new horn or mouthpiece where everything feels great, but it may not last. The 100 or so mouthpieces in my mouthpiece drawer attest to this!

Best of luck,

Steve

Haha I getcha:) Thank you. 100+ mouthpieces is crazy!! Ok ya a custom horn like that would sure be a dream come true. but of course realistically, it has to work for me!

Thanks for the kind words Steve
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good advice being given here. I find my Wild Thing can be several types of trumpet, just by changing the slide.

I wonder if the reason people keep saying Bach is the most used in orchestras, could be because most teachers recommend them. Why? Well maybe because they had teachers that told them to get one too? It's the safe option, especially if you haven't tried many other instruments.

That said, I've never played a Bach for any length of time and never owned one. I just didn't like the ones I tried. An alternative instrument to consider would be the new Smith-Watkins Mike Lovatt trumpet. It is a fabulous trumpet. Mike Lovatt is Professor of Trumpet at the Royal College of Music, in London and a top player. Much in demand as a freelance musician and with the John Wilson Orchestra.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off topic a bit here, but I wanted to compliment the OP; very polite and mature comments, we don't always see that from guys his age. Or even from guys MY age!😎

Brad
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Off topic a bit here, but I wanted to compliment the OP; very polite and mature comments, we don't always see that from guys his age. Or even from guys MY age!😎

Brad

Why thank you! And thanks everyone for the kind advice you have given me.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
Some good advice being given here. I find my Wild Thing can be several types of trumpet, just by changing the slide.

I wonder if the reason people keep saying Bach is the most used in orchestras, could be because most teachers recommend them. Why? Well maybe because they had teachers that told them to get one too? It's the safe option, especially if you haven't tried many other instruments.

That said, I've never played a Bach for any length of time and never owned one. I just didn't like the ones I tried. An alternative instrument to consider would be the new Smith-Watkins Mike Lovatt trumpet. It is a fabulous trumpet. Mike Lovatt is Professor of Trumpet at the Royal College of Music, in London and a top player. Much in demand as a freelance musician and with the John Wilson Orchestra.

I will certainly check out the Lovatt. I think you are right about bach's. Teachers reccomend them because they're the "gold standard" and while they're good, I kinda want something a bit different, something unique, something not everyone has:) Not at ALL saying that bachs are bad by any means:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: