• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet/ Other custom/unique horns

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an observation: quite a few years ago, when my granddaughter was a good, but too quiet, player, I let her try out many of my horns as possible next steps, with those of us who were judging in a separate room and without knowledge of the horn she was playing. When she tried the Wild Thing, the increase in the strength of her sound was immediately apparent, and she loved the horn. Even as a small girl (at the time), she had no problem with the large bore/open horn setup. The sound wasn't overbearing, or harsh, just firmer, stronger, with much clarity.

I can't say the same about the other fine horns she tried that day, which did include a good Strad. While I own many other horns, I still own Wild Things in short model cornet, Bb trumpet, and flugelhorn - and love them. They can be made to blend well; most horns can. It's up to the player.

But count this a s definite endorsement: if you can swing it, get a Wild Thing and you won't regret it.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:
I will certainly check out the Lovatt. I think you are right about bach's. Teachers reccomend them because they're the "gold standard" and while they're good, I kinda want something a bit different, something unique, something not everyone has:) Not at ALL saying that bachs are bad by any means:)

Here's where you started:

....something with more projection and more of the trumpet type sound so that I can blend easier in our symphonic band.

Here's where you are now:

I kinda want something a bit different, something unique, something not everyone has

What you seem to be saying is that you want two completely different trumpets. One of them would blend with everyone else and the other one would be something different, something unique, something not everyone has (which, presumably, would give you an equally unique sound).

The most popular, most widely used professional level trumpet in the world is the Bach Strad. So, statistically, you're most likely to see Bach Strads in the section (they are extremely predominant in my area). When in Rome do as the Romans do. If you play the same horn as the rest of the section you've increased the probability that you'll blend with the section.

The Wild Thing is a unique horn. It is much different than a Bach Strad. I play an Adams A8 for my primary playing (jazz improvisation). An Adams A8 is much different than a Bach Strad or a Wild Thing. An Adams A8 is an extremely unique horn (Miel Adams told me they've made fewer than 20 of them). An Adams A8 is also costly, significantly above the $2,600 threshold you mentioned.

The closest thing to an Adams A8 is an Adams A4. When I play tested the A4 I didn't feel or hear much difference between the A4 and what I have in my A8. The A4 can be had new for not much more than your $2,600 threshold. It can be had used for something comparable to your $2,600 threshold.

I have approximately 50 trumpets in my collection. Nothing I have or have ever played produces a sound for me with as thick a core as the A4 I play tested or my A8 that I own. Physically, the A4 and A8 make other trumpets (including the Wild Thing) look dinky by comparison. So if you want something really unique take a look at the Adams A4.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Centennialsound wrote:
I will certainly check out the Lovatt. I think you are right about bach's. Teachers reccomend them because they're the "gold standard" and while they're good, I kinda want something a bit different, something unique, something not everyone has:) Not at ALL saying that bachs are bad by any means:)

Here's where you started:

....something with more projection and more of the trumpet type sound so that I can blend easier in our symphonic band.

Here's where you are now:

I kinda want something a bit different, something unique, something not everyone has

What you seem to be saying is that you want two completely different trumpets. One of them would blend with everyone else and the other one would be something different, something unique, something not everyone has (which, presumably, would give you an equally unique sound).

The most popular, most widely used professional level trumpet in the world is the Bach Strad. So, statistically, you're most likely to see Bach Strads in the section (they are extremely predominant in my area). When in Rome do as the Romans do. If you play the same horn as the rest of the section you've increased the probability that you'll blend with the section.

The Wild Thing is a unique horn. It is much different than a Bach Strad. I play an Adams A8 for my primary playing (jazz improvisation). An Adams A8 is much different than a Bach Strad or a Wild Thing. An Adams A8 is an extremely unique horn (Miel Adams told me they've made fewer than 20 of them). An Adams A8 is also costly, significantly above the $2,600 threshold you mentioned.

The closest thing to an Adams A8 is an Adams A4. When I play tested the A4 I didn't feel or hear much difference between the A4 and what I have in my A8. The A4 can be had new for not much more than your $2,600 threshold. It can be had used for something comparable to your $2,600 threshold.

I have approximately 50 trumpets in my collection. Nothing I have or have ever played produces a sound for me with as thick a core as the A4 I play tested or my A8 that I own. Physically, the A4 and A8 make other trumpets (including the Wild Thing) look dinky by comparison. So if you want something really unique take a look at the Adams A4.

Haha I did contradict myself a little didn't I. I have looked at the a4 before. How does the a6 compare? I'm really just curious. What would be ideal is for me to get a nice kinda unusual horn that I could still blend with the section(using a symphonic mthpc) and then have that unique style/sound with another mouthpiece.
I still have not thrown the wild thing Idea away. My grandfather is a semi-pro trumpet player so I'll talk to him before I order too... He's also helping me finance the horn:D

Thanks
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChopsGone wrote:
Just an observation: quite a few years ago, when my granddaughter was a good, but too quiet, player, I let her try out many of my horns as possible next steps, with those of us who were judging in a separate room and without knowledge of the horn she was playing. When she tried the Wild Thing, the increase in the strength of her sound was immediately apparent, and she loved the horn. Even as a small girl (at the time), she had no problem with the large bore/open horn setup. The sound wasn't overbearing, or harsh, just firmer, stronger, with much clarity.

I can't say the same about the other fine horns she tried that day, which did include a good Strad. While I own many other horns, I still own Wild Things in short model cornet, Bb trumpet, and flugelhorn - and love them. They can be made to blend well; most horns can. It's up to the player.

But count this a s definite endorsement: if you can swing it, get a Wild Thing
and you won't regret it.

Good to know. Thanks a lot!
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/used-adams-a6-trumpet-originally-owned-by-dontae-winslow/

I just saw this hence my question... and the price is right.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:
http://austincustombrass.mybigcommerce.com/used-adams-a6-trumpet-originally-owned-by-dontae-winslow/

Check your private messages. I have a lead horn you might like
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:

The A6 in brass is my favorite Adams trumpet. It's a very good rendition of the classic Conn Constellation. It also comes in the traditional nickel finish, but I found that version to have a much stiffer feel.

It has a big sound, a very powerful upper register, good slotting and a blow that has the benefits one expects from a medium bore without the terribly tight feel some designs have.

The A6 and Wild Thing are very different designs, but both are very usable in any type of setting.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Centennialsound wrote:

The A6 in brass is my favorite Adams trumpet. It's a very good rendition of the classic Conn Constellation. It also comes in the traditional nickel finish, but I found that version to have a much stiffer feel.

It has a big sound, a very powerful upper register, good slotting and a blow that has the benefits one expects from a medium bore without the terribly tight feel some designs have.

The A6 and Wild Thing are very different designs, but both are very usable in any type of setting.

Hmmm. I could tell that just by looking at it. Good to know:))
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:
I have looked at the a4 before. How does the a6 compare? I'm really just curious.

I haven't played an Adams A6. However, I see that the A6 is patterned after the Conn Connstellation. I have a 1956 Conn Connstellation in my collection. The Connstellation is a great horn. It produces a darker sound than any of my other horns (I have a Selmer K-modified that comes close). My A8 is a touch brighter than the Connstellation with a denser core and more sparkle. Also, with any given input I get more volume with the A8 than with the Connstellation (this could have to do with bore size: The Connstellation is .438 and the A8 is .470).

Back in the early to mid 1960's many players (students and professionals) played Connstellations. Maynard Ferguson played one for awhile. The small bore and big bell diameter were appealing to a lot of players. However, by the 1970's you didn't see them all that much. They would have to be considered unique horns by today's standards. I would expect the Adams version to be typical of what could be expected from an original Connstellation.
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whole search can be a minefield. whenever i get a new mouthpiece, it sounds wrong, so if i were in a store, i would be passing it up to try the next. within an hour of playing i automatically make the adjustments and get my sound on it.
i play the wild thing, and if just picking it up off a table with other trumpets, would pass it by. it's a very subtle thing but there is an adjustment period where, like with the mouthpiece, you learn how to blow the thing. i will be honest. i bought my first WT, a flugel, based on the recommendation of people here that i respect. the blow was off, too bright and present. i resolved to stay with it and it was an interesting journey in learning the fine points of the blow, like 'back off' in six foot high letters. based on that experience i ordered the trumpet, knowing it was going to be another legend of zelda mystical quest. it took the same period of time to adjust, a few weeks, or a month. the WT gear is a different animal from most brands. i am glad to have had the germ of faith to see it through.
Bill Blackwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet/ Other custom/unique horns Reply with quote

Centennialsound wrote:
... I have been urged by both my band teacher and my teacher to buy a new horn. ...

I cringe when a young player asks this forum for advice while at the same time indicate they have teachers advising them.

Why not ask them?

I'm not even sure if you're asking about a Bb trumpet or a cornet. Regardless, you don't have to look far to see what my preferences are.

Wild Thing Bb - Copper
Wild Thing Flugelhorn - Copper
Wild Thing Short-Model Cornet - Copper

The future ain't what it used to be. ...
- Yogi Berra
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Centennialsound wrote:
21trumpet wrote:
Don't let these THers talk you into a Back or Yamaha. Give Flip a call and talk to him directly, I know he has a couple used Wild Things in stock that you can get for a good price you won't be sorry.

Hey, are these like horns he's privately selling? cause I don't see them on his website

Cheers

Flip's web master isn't always available to make quick updates. Just call him.

And don't forget the Celebration. It's like a Bach 72 on steroids.
marnix
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this whole topic I miss your teacher. Where is the man, what is he saying, what are his tips for you.
He knows you and your playing better then us here, and part of his job is to guide you through this "instrument-hunt".

If I were you I would take him to the closest store, and playtest as much trumpets as you can get your hands on. Let him listen to your playing. He should know what suits you best.
XO brass picc
Yamaha 741 D
Back to good old GR 66L
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marnix wrote:
In this whole topic I miss your teacher. Where is the man, what is he saying, what are his tips for you.
He knows you and your playing better then us here, and part of his job is to guide you through this "instrument-hunt".

If I were you I would take him to the closest store, and playtest as much trumpets as you can get your hands on. Let him listen to your playing. He should know what suits you best.

Without knowing the experience/ability of the teacher I don't think we can conclude anything about whether or to what extent the teacher should or will know what suits the OP best.
Winghorn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the experience level of the various posters offering advice is unknown (to me, anyway), so why should the OP accept our opinions over his teacher's?

Maybe the OP should contact an experienced private teacher and for the cost of a lesson, get advice on equipment choices.

Or he could just buy a Bach Strad, the most played and accepted trumpet in the world. At a recent high school solo competion I attended some time back, almost every participant was playing a Bach. It was some of the most beautiful playing I have heard in a long while.

Something to think about.

Steve
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winghorn wrote:
Well, the experience level of the various posters offering advice is unknown (to me, anyway), so why should the OP accept our opinions over his teacher's?

Maybe the OP should contact an experienced private teacher and for the cost of a lesson, get advice on equipment choices.

Or he could just buy a Bach Strad, the most played and accepted trumpet in the world. At a recent high school solo competion I attended some time back, almost every participant was playing a Bach. It was some of the most beautiful playing I have heard in a long while.

Steve

Even though I'm a big proponent of the WT, and have also owned more than a couple Strads, Steve has a point. I would think a WT might work out fine for him, but odds are so would a Bach, and without knowing anything more about the OP other than his thoughtful commentary, the odds might be better.

Plus, if the OP continues in college and beyond, it's not like whichever horn he picks now will necessarily be the last or only one.

Brad
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet/ Other custom/unique horns Reply with quote

Bill Blackwell wrote:
Centennialsound wrote:
... I have been urged by both my band teacher and my teacher to buy a new horn. ...

I cringe when a young player asks this forum for advice while at the same time indicate they have teachers advising them.

Why not ask them?

I'm not even sure if you're asking about a Bb trumpet or a cornet. Regardless, you don't have to look far to see what my preferences are.

I certainly asked him. I would be an idiot to not! He reccomended a bunch of brands, so I thought I would get other opinions from people here, and info to keep in mind when I try horns! That's all:)
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Winghorn wrote:

Steve

Even though I'm a big proponent of the WT, and have also owned more than a couple Strads, Steve has a point. I would think a WT might work out fine for him, but odds are so would a Bach, and without knowing anything more about the OP other than his thoughtful commentary, the odds might be better.

Plus, if the OP continues in college and beyond, it's not like whichever horn he picks now will necessarily be the last or only one.

Brad

Thanks you.. true:)
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Con,

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. There is nothing wrong with polling an internet sight for opinion.

But keep in mind that you will often have no idea of the playing abilities of the people giving you advice. Also after a while you will find that each person has their favorite horns and will most often say they will fit you and your playing style and situations.

Mostly they do this because they legitimately work for the owner.

But that doesn't mean they will work for you. This is where your teacher, and perhaps your grandfather, can assist in evaluating your selections since they know you in person.

Good luck in the safari.

As an aside, I wonder if we could just compile a list of people and what they recommend to post to the next person who asks for what horn is perfect for them.
Centennialsound

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Con,

You seem to have a good head on your shoulders. There is nothing wrong with polling an internet sight for opinion.

But keep in mind that you will often have no idea of the playing abilities of the people giving you advice. Also after a while you will find that each person has their favorite horns and will most often say they will fit you and your playing style and situations.

Mostly they do this because they legitimately work for the owner.

But that doesn't mean they will work for you. This is where your teacher, and perhaps your grandfather, can assist in evaluating your selections since they know you in person.

Good luck in the safari.

As an aside, I wonder if we could just compile a list of people and what they recommend to post to the next person who asks for what horn is perfect for them.

Those words could not be more true... Maybe a sticky would be the perfect thing for that:) My teacher will certainly listen to each horn and give me his honest opinion as will my grandfather.

Thx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: