• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Master thesis suggestions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OyvindLL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Master thesis suggestions Reply with quote

Hey
A student is searching for some creative minds!

I am soon finishing my masters in classical trumpet and have to do a research on something. I was wondering if anyone here would have any suggestions. It needs to involve the trumpet somehow or trumpet literature. Of course I can write about auditions, practicing etc but it's already done many times by others so theres not much to find out
Schilke Nate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Thesis question Reply with quote

This is nothing more than a question that rolls around in my head from time to time. More often when I'm watching videos of new horns. I'm not sure what the Thesis question is but something like: The perfect balance of Engineering and Metallurgy.
The two main questions that I wonder about are; if 99.9% of players agree that the gap is a huge problem with getting the horn to play correctly then why isn't the tuning slide bump in the lead pipe a similar problem or interference? Also, why do horns with integrated mouthpieces still have regular facing tuning slides? I have been playing a reverse tuning slide for over 35 years so I can't even remember what it was like not to have one. Just wondering why not remove all the air interference completely. The second question is; what is the best metal that allows a horn to ring and project perfectly. Horn bells must be made out of almost every metal available (red brass, copper, silver, yellow brass, etc.) and I'm betting almost all of those metals have been cryogenically frozen as well. Also, if the metal makes such a difference why aren't most horns using the best one? Lastly, if metal is it, why plastic trumpets, lexan mouthpieces and carbon fiber bells.
I attended the Yamaha presentation at ITG this year where they removed the valve wrap, slide bumpers, etc. from a participants horn and it really made a difference. It was quick, cheap, easy and yet there are still hundreds of different ways to build a horn.
Yes, that really rolls around in my head. Maybe beer will help.
Monette B2S3 & B2S3 W / FLG2 mpc
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could research why anyone would seek advice on the internet about how to play trumpet.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the winning suggestor get an inspiration credit on your thesis?

I suppose the next request you'll have would be for someone else to play your recitals.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think any of these are worthy of some deep academic exploration.

1. The brass pedagogy of Harold Hill
2. Cup depth, mouthpiece aerodynamics, and trumpet (throwing) range
3. A longitudinal study of trumpet mass and medical expenses
4. The virtuosi of the sudrophone
5. A comparison of conservatory costs and automobile age
6. The second trumpet parts of great trumpet concerti
7. A study comparing time spent mouthpiece clocking and quantity of music prepared
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:

I dunno...he might hafta think on that one...

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Master thesis suggestions Reply with quote

OyvindLL wrote:
Hey

I am soon finishing my masters in classical trumpet and have to do a research on something. I was wondering if anyone here would have any suggestions. It needs to involve the trumpet somehow or trumpet literature. Of course I can write about auditions, practicing etc but it's already done many times by others so theres not much to find out

You're getting some mixed reactions in this thread. That might be because the "question" is really the most difficult part of most research projects. The research itself is the easy part. I'm exaggerating a bit, to make a point. But I do think that identifying your research question is the most creative part of many research projects.

So a better question to ask is, "How do I go about developing a thesis question?"

When I was working on my thesis question (not in music, but a different area), I went over to my university's library, and read every thesis published in my department. I suspect there are online libraries that have additional theses online. This will give you an idea of what other people did. This might be a good place to start.

I'm not sure how academic your project needs to be. What are the main journals in your area of interest? How many articles have you read in these journals? I read about 200 articles and a dozen books in preparation for my thesis. You may not have to read this much. But it's hard to compose a research question without knowing the literature.

Best of luck.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serious answer is pick a general subject you're interested in and start reading about it until you wonder how (how did x happen?), why (what actually caused x to happen), or what (what really happened) about something the happened. Then you start to chase after that question. Iterate through that process enough and you'll eventually have a research question worth chasing. It starts with something YOU'RE interested in though, otherwise the legwork will be a beating.

Also, the virtuosi of the sudrophone would be a really short paper.
OyvindLL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Yes I was maybe a little bit unclear with my text. I was not looking for a defined question for my thesis, just some inspiration for areas to dig into. Will definitely go and do some reading in the library for inspiration as well
trpt.hick
Rafael Méndez Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyvind::,

I am not sure what school you attend, or what country you are living in, so master's thesis can vary a lot as to the scope of the project. In the U.S., a master's degree "thesis" or research project does not require any original research, that is, it only requires that the writer study all good and relevant books, articles, etc. on a particular subject. The writer is not required to provide any of their own ideas or draw their own conclusions. The project merely involves studying all significant material related to the subject, and reporting on the various studies and research already done. Forming a logical and concise outline is key, and presenting the findings of many, many other authors is the goal. The length of the paper is typically 25-50 pages (double-spaced).

Doctoral projects require the same as above for the first half of the paper in order to discuss a topic and its need for further research. All of the significant pervious research is then presented. The second half of the paper is to show how the author has done new research on the topic, from which he or she may draw conclusions and/or the need for even more original research on the topic. The length of this is typically 100-200 pages length.

So, your subject topic can be anything that interests you. Check with your professor to make sure that what I have outlined in the first paragraph is appropriate for your topic and design of research/writing. At many European universities, a master's thesis is more like a U.S. doctoral research topic, but on a slightly smaller scale.

David Hickman
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Master thesis suggestions Reply with quote

TrumpetMD wrote:
OyvindLL wrote:
Hey

You're getting some mixed reactions in this thread. That might be because the "question" is really the most difficult part of most research projects. The research itself is the easy part. I'm exaggerating a bit, to make a point. But I do think that identifying your research question is the most creative part of many research projects.

So a better question to ask is, "How do I go about developing a thesis question?"

When I was working on my thesis question (not in music, but a different area), I went over to my university's library, and read every thesis published in my department. I suspect there are online libraries that have additional theses online. This will give you an idea of what other people did. This might be a good place to start.

I'm not sure how academic your project needs to be. What are the main journals in your area of interest? How many articles have you read in these journals? I read about 200 articles and a dozen books in preparation for my thesis. You may not have to read this much. But it's hard to compose a research question without knowing the literature.

Best of luck.

Mike

+1!
Indeed - stating the question is the most difficult/complex part because the very framing in itself many times might provide ideas of how to proceed. Finding/inventing a question might lead to a hypothesis, inspire ways of thinking, finding/reading articles on related subjects etc.
A supervisor of mine, long time ago, said "many good projects emanate from the researchers own complex of problems"...
So one point of departure might be scrutinizing yourself with respect to this. Like "how come I suddenly developed a craving for smaller diameter mouthpieces?" (Recent question of mine!). Maybe you´ll find something relevant somewhere amongst the windmills of your mind?
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Master thesis suggestions Reply with quote

OyvindLL wrote:
Hey

You know, it's supposed to be the job of the "Master" to be creative...
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Master thesis suggestions Reply with quote

OyvindLL wrote:
Hey

If you want to write a good thesis, choose something you love, something that means something to you. Don't just pick some topic off a board and do it. Look within.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trp.thick is right on. So you can actually accomplish this, I would suggest you choose a very specific, narrow topic parameter. Good luck.
CalvinPrice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: ideas for thesis Reply with quote

Why not research breathing or compare articulation on the trumpet to enunciation in language?

Good luck

Online trumpet lessons
www.CalvinPrice.com
www.onlinetrumpetlessons.com
calvincprice@gmail.com
619-540-0997
Hugh Anderson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone done an excerpt book series on band music, the way they have on orchestra music?
Andy Cooper
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about:

Instrumental vs. Vocal approach to trumpet playing.

I've had discussions about that with other players.

You could compare proponents of both styles and tendencies for the styles to merge over time (if they do) into a trumpet version of Jeet Kune-Do .
Mike Lockman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your life's goals. My goals were in music education. My thesis was on an experimental controlled study on improving sight reading skills.
Thousands topics still available.
Trumpetingbynurture
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Master thesis suggestions Reply with quote

OyvindLL wrote:
Hey

Team up with one or more composers and write about understanding, workshopping, learning and performing the works that they have written for you.

It's endlessly flexible, and there's plenty of other post grad research that is in a similar vein that you can model yours on without it being a simple rehash of the same topic.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoseLindE4 wrote:
I think any of these are worthy of some deep academic exploration.

2. Cup depth, mouthpiece aerodynamics, and trumpet (throwing) range
3. A longitudinal study of trumpet mass and medical expenses
4. The virtuosi of the sudrophone
5. A comparison of conservatory costs and automobile age
6. The second trumpet parts of great trumpet concerti
7. A study comparing time spent mouthpiece clocking and quantity of music prepared

To these, I would add:
8. Valve port alignment under conditions of low illumination
9. Self-hypnosis and placebo effects in mouthpiece selection
10. Advanced insecticide application in vintage trumpet cases
11. History of mouthpiece puller devices
12. Recycling of used trumpet lubricants
13. Tuning of contemporary and historic hosaphones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: