• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

help becoming lead trumpet

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:00 pm    Post subject: help becoming lead trumpet Reply with quote

ok I have a lot to post, just a heads up.
I'm a high school sophomore and I've been playing trumpet since 4th grade. freshman year my teacher told me I have a lot of potential made me realize that I'm better than I was making myself to be. I stopped taking band as a joke and as a result, I've joined my school's big band, took marching band more seriously, and moved up from symphonic to wind ensemble, taking fourth chair. The players above me were all seniors, so I was technically going to be lead by default. Early sophomore year, I realize the seriousness of this and start stepping it up. Even though I've improved a lot throughout freshman year, I realized I've been practicing wrong. ironically I only know 2 scales by heart, and the highest note I can play is a high D.

- I am in a Big Band, Marching Band and Wind Ensemble currently.

-Thank you

my mouthpieces:
-Conn 4
-Yamaha Japan 11b4

Last edited by Tyler Alexander on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:43 am; edited 4 times in total
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a copy of the lead parts in the band's book and practice them for style. Playing lead isn't just pinging high notes, it's also playing with style. If you can play these parts with great style, and in tune, you'd make the band sound great. Understand that the other player might still be better than you and deserve that spot, but learning to play in tune and with style would help your band regardless of where you end up. Good luck.
Piccolo Stomvi
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice: Stop asking for free help on web sites and GET WITH A GOOD PRIVATE TEACHER.

That's the only way improvement will happen.

You need someone in the same room as you who can watch everything you do (physically) and then make adjustments as they see are needed.

It can't be done by Skype or Face Time - it has to be live and in-person. There are WAY too many variables that can come into play that are easily missed unless a teacher can watch EVERYTHING you do.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to think of myself being second best. I want to work and become the best trumpet player in the band. I do have copies of lead parts with me, and I'm doing V.C. studies and some of the Clark Studies.

Should I invest in arban books for trumpet? Should I periodically clean the horn as well?

how much does it cost to be with a good private teacher?
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple bullet points:

Get with a teacher for guidance, not ghosts on Internet forums

Don't sweat being second chair to a better player. Maybe you can learn from having a better player around you. And competitive settings breeds improvement.

Play anything and everything you can. Lead parts, section parts, all parts. Any etude book and method book you can get your hands on.

Just learn all your scales. Not just a few, of them...all of them. Just get it over with and learn them all and be comfortable playing all the modes of the scales, and play them in different intervals. It will help with dexterity and sight reading.

Be aggressive but be patient. You have plenty of time to get to whatever level a trumpet player you wish to achieve.

Last thought, be humble. Nobody likes a jerk
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what books would you recommend?
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Alexander wrote:

Maybe $50 to $100 a lesson, depending on the teacher and the length of the lesson. Could be weekly or every-other-week. Ask your band director if he/she knows of good teachers in your area.

Back to your original reply, I think many of us have been in your position. One way or another, we become challenged to get better. That's a good thing. I agree with the suggestion by Tim and others, to find a teacher. I was the only trumpet player in my high school with a teacher. And although other players had a lot of potential, I was first chair from my sophomore year on.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://qpress.ca/product/the-first-trumpeter/
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Alexander wrote:
I don't want to think of myself being second best. I want to work and become the best trumpet player in the band. I do have copies of lead parts with me, and I'm doing V.C. studies and some of the Clark Studies.

Should I invest in arban books for trumpet? Should I periodically clean the horn as well?

1. If you disclose your geographic area, you might get some referrals for a teacher. Get a teacher.
2. Every trumpet player should own an Arbans. So get one and a teacher.
3. Be yourself, do your best and get a teacher.
4. Clean your horn. Brush out the leadpipe and tuning slide once a week, and do the whole horn when you start seeing green "stuff" in the valve ports. (I'm a repair tech BTW) Oh, and get a teacher.
5. Watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj4p4gxtfGw
halfgreek12
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play along with great trumpet players.
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:

Every trumpet player should own an Arbans. So get one and a teacher.

Is there a specific Arbans book I should invest in?
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Conservatory-Trumpet-Baritone-Euphonium/dp/0825803853
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
Best advice: Stop asking for free help on web sites and GET WITH A GOOD PRIVATE TEACHER.

That's the only way improvement will happen.

Not everyone can afford a private teacher. There's nothing wrong with asking for free advice on websites such as this. Trumpet players trying to help other trumpet players is one of the purposes of this website. The search for knowledge, from any source, should never be ridiculed or otherwise discouraged. You should be encouraged to ask whatever questions you want to ask.

A skilled teacher can potentially help you a great deal but working with a skilled teacher is not the only way improvement can happen. If your fundamentals are correct you will improve through practice whether you have a teacher or not.

A skilled teacher can lead you through the process of building correct fundamentals. Correct fundamentals will accelerate your improvement if you incorporate those fundamentals into your practice.
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres what I'm looking at right now, because it was free.

http://www.el-atril.com/partituras/Metodos/Complete%20Conservatory%20Method%20for%20Trumpet.pdf
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good version of Arban's, but it's also available online as a pdf for free.

http://imslp.org/wiki/Category:Arban%2C_Jean-Baptiste

And get a teacher.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Alexander wrote:
I don't want to think of myself being second best. I want to work and become the best trumpet player in the band.

Your desire to improve is admirable, but hopefully the motivation is to enhance your enjoyment of music, and not simply to win a chair. First chair is not success, and second chair is not failure.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last point, try and listen to as many great players as you can.

You want to be a great lead trumpet player in jazz band? Try listening to great lead trumpet players. Snooky Young, Al Porcino, Condoli brothers, Bill Chase (with Woody Herman), Bobby Shew, Buddy's Childers, just to name a few of my favorites.

More modern lead trumpeters like Frank Greene, and Wayne Bergeron come to mind.

Then there are some more exciting guys like Doc Severinsen, and Allen Vizzutti, or some selections from Jon Faddis, for insane technique and wicked high notes. Or some other big band high energy guys like Dave Stahl, Roger Ingram, Bud Brisbois, are always exciting to listen to.

Listen to everybody anybody recommends and find who you like best. With YouTube and other free listening sites, there is endless listening available. From Basie to Ellington big bands, Buddy Rich, Woody Herman, Stan Kenton would be a good place to start.

Oh, you're in high school....so I guess some Maynard Ferguson should be put on that list as well.
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jscahoy wrote:
Tyler Alexander wrote:
I don't want to think of myself being second best. I want to work and become the best trumpet player in the band.

Your desire to improve is admirable, but hopefully the motivation is to enhance your enjoyment of music, and not simply to win a chair. First chair is not success, and second chair is not failure.

you are right, but as the oldest behind the seniors I have to make my mark. I want to help the band in every way I can, and I won't ever think of myself as second best until i'm actually only second best, but I still won't give up If I am.

Last edited by Tyler Alexander on Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
ATrumpetBrony
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tyler Alexander"][quote="jscahoy"][quote="Tyler Alexander"]
you are right, but the fourth chair in the band at the moment is very snobby and takes advantage of the fact she is better than me to tell me what to do. I don't want to be controlled by someone younger than me who also abuses the power she's given because she's better for the rest of my high school years

she's like the principal of the band and seems to have forgotten the reasons she's chose to be in a band in the first place[/quote

not to be a jerk, but... that doesn't sound so much like a problem that can be solved by a bunch of guys on the internet. You should probably talk to her about it.

and, oh yeah - practice. learn what good playing sounds like and imitate the stuff you like. It's getting me to where I want to go faster than ever.

It's not what you play...
It's HOW you play
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Alexander wrote:
jscahoy wrote:
Tyler Alexander wrote:

you are right, but the fourth chair in the band at the moment is very snobby and takes advantage of the fact she is better than me to tell me what to do. I don't want to be controlled by someone younger than me who also abuses the power she's given because she's better for the rest of my high school years

she's like the principal of the band and seems to have forgotten the reasons she's chose to be in a band in the first place

Didn't realize you let a GIRL beat you lol

Haha I didn't even think you were allowed to acknowledge gender in public schools anymore. Especially since you're in California

I thought there was some ban on gender specific pronouns out there in the Golden State??
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Tim. Ignore literally everyone else on this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: