• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

help becoming lead trumpet

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vin DiBona
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems apparent many of you have little or no idea who Tim Wendt is and his remarkable playing abilities.
The amateur hacks arguing how "wrong" you think he is need to find out more about him here. (This comment does not apply to everyone who posted, just some).
http://www.labluebirds.com/tim_wendt.htm
R. Tomasek
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:

Thank you for the kind words and oy vey...what I wouldn't give to have only THAT much grey on my head.

You must have used a very old search engine - that's about 17 years old...

But seriously - OP - you REALLY need to get with a live trumpet teacher. You have been given some excellent advice from others who have posted - what to play, who to listen to - BUT...it is very easy to develop wrong habits that will not only be difficult to break, but that will slow down if not completely ruin your enjoyment with playing the trumpet if you're not under the observant in-person tutelage of teacher.

I wish you all the best luck. It's obvious that you want to play well. Geez, if you lived close to NYC I'd offer you a free lesson...well...not totally free. It'd cost you a ham sammich & a soda afterward.

A guy's gotta eat, right?

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice. And next time I'm in the city, I'm bringing a sandwich ... just in case I run into Tim.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP - you live in West Sacramento. Sacramento has the Symphony Philharmonic. The trumpet section (according to www.sacphilopera.org) is:

James Rodseth - Principal
Scott Macomber
Gary Dilworth
Michael Meeks
John Leggett

Call the office - 916.808.2000

Explain that you're a young trumpet player & would like to get in contact with any of the trumpet section for a lesson. I'm sure they will take your information and pass it along.

Even if symphony playing isn't your goal...I guarantee you that you'll get good in-person advice. At a minimum they'll notice any bad habits that might be happening & give instruction on how to develop stronger habits to overcome the bad ones.

And if money is an issue (these days...when isn't it an issue)...offer to do yard work or wash their car in exchange for lessons. One of the finest trumpet teachers alive today - Charley Davis - has the cleanest car and best-kept yard by doing that kind of trade.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travis AFB still has an Air Force Band. A bit of a schlep from West Sac, but worth the effort.

Contact them - maybe you'll find a teacher from that group.

www.bandofthegoldenwest.af.mil/

Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vin DiBona wrote:
It seems apparent many of you have little or no idea who Tim Wendt is and his remarkable playing abilities.
The amateur hacks arguing how "wrong" you think he is need to find out more about him here. (This comment does not apply to everyone who posted, just some).
R. Tomasek

Yep.
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Sailors wrote:
Vin DiBona wrote:
R. Tomasek

Yep.

Daily cyber-affirmations
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIETlxquzY
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet.sanity wrote:
Mike Sailors wrote:
Vin DiBona wrote:
R. Tomasek

Yep.

Daily cyber-affirmations
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-DIETlxquzY

homebilly
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say go all Tonya Harding on the dude then YOU will be the lead player....

http://highdefinitionbigband.com
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the days of the underdog. There have been so many upsets that go against the majority opinions and predictions lately, that I once again believe in miracles.

Chicago winning the World Series, the incredible comeback of the Patriots in yesterday's Super Bowl, and the biggest upset in modern history: Donald Trump winning the presidency.

So many long shots and upsets. It's been like watching a Rocky movie. Anything is possible. And in this flabbergasting season of change, I'd put my bets on the long shot.

You have every opportunity to be the best trumpeter you want to be, and every chance of leading your section if you put in the work, and earn your bones.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gstump wrote:
Thanks for reaching out Tyler. This post is not about trumpet playing. And to actually heed my advice takes a very strong individual with a true love of music as a fine art.

I discovered the "corporate" music program when my first pair of granddaughters starting playing in a very large, competitive music program. Here in Michigan and its environs the music programs are highly impacted by large music stores. Here it is Marshal Music.

They actually come into the schools and try out the students on instruments they later rent. The choices are limited to certain brands and specific mouthpieces. This is the beginning of students and their parents losing their individuality. Repairs must be done through this system as well.

The school system buys over $100,000 percussion equipment. Everything is very organized and students fiercely compete against each other for chairs and bands. "I am better than her or him." "His father is on the non-profit board"... and so on.

Music is limited to what will be performed at competitions. In the case of my granddaughters, they played the same competitive marching band music all year!

Through all this fog I tried to instill a love of music in my oldest granddaughter; that the music world was not the "corporate" world of music into which she was immersed.

So what does this have to do with Tyler? Well, listen to big band jazz and dance music. Do not try to sound as good as some kid next to you. Try to emulate the style of some of the great lead players like Snooky Young or Al Porcino. Maybe you cannot sound as good as them on the high notes for now but you can sound as good as them and others an octave lower.

When I first started studying with Carmine Caruso in New York City he did not say I do not sound as good as some kid at Ridge High in New Jersey, my school). He said I do not sound like the great studio players in New York. He said there was no reason I could not sound like Doc Severinsen on a middle G.

It is not about high notes. It about having the strength and trumpet prowess to play stylistically correct with meaning in a range that normal humans simply cannot do.

Look outside the "corporate" music department for a good teacher and listen to as much big band lead players and jazz music as you can.

BTW, my granddaughter is now at a good music school on a full 4 year scholarship for both neuroscience and music performance.

Best of luck Tyler.

Gordon Stump

This is right on the mark and put more diplomatically than I could have. What Gordon calls the "corporate music scene" is a pet peeve of mine.

I would add:

1. Play by ear as much as possible. Find recordings you can play along with. In my day, it was Al Hirt and Herb Alpert (still good choices) but you might like something else. If playing by ear is hard, keep trying. Start with simple tunes if you have to, like "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" or "Happy Birthday to You". I have always maintained that if you can hum it over and over in your head, you can learn to play it and/or write it down.
2. Join ensembles outside of school. Most towns and cities have community bands. Many have community orchestras and big bands. Seek them out. Even it they put you on 3rd, you will learn lots.

I guess what I'm saying is don't rely on your school program to be your only music experience. Seek knowledge, enjoyment, and improvement wherever you can.

And most of all, enjoy the process.

-John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
Brad361 wrote:
trpthrld wrote:
Best advice: Stop asking for free help on web sites and GET WITH A GOOD PRIVATE TEACHER.

That's the only way improvement will happen.

You need someone in the same room as you who can watch everything you do (physically) and then make adjustments as they see are needed.

It can't be done by Skype or Face Time - it has to be live and in-person. There are WAY too many variables that can come into play that are easily missed unless a teacher can watch EVERYTHING you do.

+1.
The internet can be a great resource, but it's not a replacement for a private teacher. And pretty much anyone CAN afford a teacher if they really make the effort, and get creative. That might mean making sacrifices in other areas, but it can be done IF it's really a priority, and if the OP really wants to improve, he should find a way to get a teacher.

Brad

Without knowing the OP's circumstances this is very presumptuous. Shaming the OP by implying he's not serious about improving if he doesn't hire a private teacher is not appropriate.

I'm in agreement that the internet is not a replacement for a private teacher who can actually observe the student. However, I've seen students who worked with "teachers" who seriously messed them up. There are teachers who can really teach and there are teachers who are teachers in name only. How does the OP tell the difference for certain up front, before he's led down a path that ultimately hinders/limits his progress by someone he has erroneously trusted?

There's a lot of talk here on TH about "getting a teacher" but there's very little talk about how to identify an effective teacher. It's not as easy as people want to make it seem. "Any teacher" is not better than "no teacher" if the "teacher" is messing the student up. Having a private teacher is not a mandatory prerequisite for the student to improve. Practicing diligently is a mandatory prerequisite for the student to improve.

If you have the right teacher you can improve more rapidly because you're being instructed in the right way to practice the right things. However, finding the "right" teacher is easier said than done. How many teachers are genuine chop doctors, people who can identify, diagnose and show the student how to correct problems with the mechanics of playing?

The most important element in improving will always be the willingness of the student to put in the time and effort to practice the techniques which lead to proficiency. It's not impossible to become a proficient player without a private teacher.

Speaking ONLY for myself, I was not trying to shame anyone. What I said was that even if there are financial or other obstacles, if someone wants to take private lessons it can be done.
How to find a "good" (and I'm not defining "good") teacher? I'm not implying it's easy, but resources like the OP's local band director might be a starting point. Or (I just went back and read that this suggestion has been made), tell us here the location and see who might recommend someone in the OP's area.
Is it possible to become a proficient player without a private teacher? It is, but why not do what many accomplished players have done and not try to figure it out on your own?
I absolutely do not have all the answers, I doubt anyone does, but it's still my opinion that going through the process of finding a qualified teacher will probably be worth the time and investment.

Brad
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I auditioned for Lead Trumpet in the Schools Traditional Jazz band for next year (I was in a Big Band and Wind Ensemble already), ended up nailing the part. Someone who heard me play told me to start listening to Al Hirt because he said I have his "sound"

Ironically, So Far I know how to play the Bb scale with the arpeggio now and I'm learning the F scale with the arpeggio

Last edited by Tyler Alexander on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
trumpet.sanity
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler Alexander wrote:
I auditioned for Lead Trumpet in the Schools Traditional Jazz band for next year (I was in a Big Band and Wind Ensemble already), ended up nailing the part. Someone who heard me play told me to start listening to Al Hirt because he said I have his "sound"

Ironically, So Far I know how to play the Bb scale with the arpeggio now and I'm learning the F scale withe the arpeggio

Good job buddy. While you're motivated, learn the rest of your scales! It won't take long, just dig in and do it!

Sure, listen to Al Hirt, but lots of other greats as well. Maybe ask some TH'ers for suggestion and try listening to 2 or 3 new players for you a week. Maybe this week try Doc Severinson and Al Hirt. Ask for some suggestions for next week, I'm sure guys will chime in with suggestions

Good luck !!
Tyler Alexander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you everyone for all the tips!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: